Thread: Chamber Throats and Reaming Handguns-

Default Chamber Throats and Reaming Handguns-

Greetings all, I almost lost twenty bucks betting that a new Ruger SRH would have undersized chamber throats, wouldya belive they were right on!???

Even a couple New Vaquaros were right on .4525!

Someday the factories might get it right, called S&W complaining about my new 629 had a couple jugs at .4275 and used the Brownells reamer to open them to .431. Remember those super accurate five and four screw 29s? .431! The tech at Smith said .431 was too loose!

Bought a nice Smith 625 in .45 Long Colt and bought a new reamer to fix that!

Why worry?

Cast bullets leave a lot of lead when ya resize them through the throats, jacketed slugs don't seem to care since they bump back up to bore size after squeezing through a tight throat tho that constriction may give a little spike in pressure passing through.

And a small tip to the folks shooting the heavier loads through the Enhanced Smith .44s, harden the center pin inside the ejector rod before it mushrooms locking things up.

You are so right! The hard cast bullets need to fit the groove diameter (slightly over) and the throats need to fit the bullets. I would just slug the bore and determine the groove which should be a bout .4300"-ish (.4295" to .4309") and then shoot .431" bullets through .431" throats. If for some reason you had a tight bore, you might want to shoot .430's and size throat accordingly.

Oh, yes that ejector rod will hammer out like a mushroom. I just radius the tip of it but hardening it with a torch and cold oil would be better. They all will do it with enough heavy loads and it will stop things. The cylinder latch will stick slightly forward which stops the hammer from coming back. There is usually a warning with a dragging latch so don't let it go too long. Good advice, thanks for the tip.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The throats should be a 1/2 thousandth over bore diameter. The bullets can be as large of diameter that will chamber. Veral Smith of LBT gave me that bit of advice back in the 80s and it works to perfection.

Default Exactly Murphy!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    You are so right! The hard cast bullets need to fit the groove diameter (slightly over) and the throats need to fit the bullets. I would just slug the bore and determine the groove which should be a bout .4300"-ish (.4295" to .4309") and then shoot .431" bullets through .431" throats. If for some reason you had a tight bore, you might want to shoot .430's and size throat accordingly.

Oh, yes that ejector rod will hammer out like a mushroom. I just radius the tip of it but hardening it with a torch and cold oil would be better. They all will do it with enough heavy loads and it will stop things. The cylinder latch will stick slightly forward which stops the hammer from coming back. There is usually a warning with a dragging latch so don't let it go too long. Good advice, thanks for the tip.
    I tried to explain the hardening process and throat size to the Smith Techie but apparently he didn't get it.

I use a cheapo butane hand torch and heat till just past dark cherry and plunge into oil.

So hey Murph?
    When I called Smith I was asking about the new enhanced widget that's in my newer 629s and was wondering why the 625-5 didn't have the widget?

They are shipping me for free a new hand with the longer pivot that operates the bolt brake (widget) for the 625, now to get a price on several sets for the other Smith .45 Colts!

Monte,

My 480 has 0.478" throats. It shoots cast amazingly well. I wished I'd never measured it to find out how sloppy the throats are. Also the frame casting wasn't a complete fillout where the front scope ring attaches to the frame, so when you tighten the front ring it cants down. Oh well, handguns are meant for iron sights.

Default Hiya Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Monte,

My 480 has 0.478" throats. It shoots cast amazingly well. I wished I'd never measured it to find out how sloppy the throats are. Also the frame casting wasn't a complete fillout where the front scope ring attaches to the frame, so when you tighten the front ring it cants down. Oh well, handguns are meant for iron sights.
    Reamed a new Redhawk .45 Colt 4 inch today, grin!

Yeah seen that ring thing before on a couple at Rabbit, yes I know your gun shoots very well! Better a bit loose than undersized apparantly
    Got a couple .500s to open up to .501, staying busy!