Thread: problem with squash

Default problem with squash

My squash plants in my green house blume and set but before the little squash can mature it rots and falls off, anyone know why? Thanks

That sometimes happens with the young squash plants, even when I fertilize the female flowers with the male. Do you open the greenhouse during the day to let the bugs in to do the fertilizing? If not you will have to do the job by hand

Here is a link that might help. Scroll down to the Squash section.
    Good luck and hopefully the next one will do better.
    Grandma Lori

http://denewethsnews.com/news/7/16/
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

It's called Blossom Drop. We get it with tomatoes, cucumbers, and zucchini. Wifey pollinates using a soft artist's paint brush to help things along. A fan to accelerate airflow helps if you're using a greenhouse, but active pollination nets the best results.

Here's another article.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/sqblossomdrop.html

Mr. Pid and Granma Lori are both correct.

Just 'cause a flower/blossom gogt pollinated, doesn't mea that it was pollinated within the most fertile time period/window of opportunity for that blossom, and unpollinated fruit/veggie.

I use Q-tips to pollinate any finicky plants, including squash, canteloupe, water mellon, etc. And I perform this activity more than once, sometimes a couple of times per day, if I happen to be out there. Several days in a row, if I'm around, just to make sure that the flower got pollinated at the correct time.

With corn, just routinely shake the stalks/tassles after the pollen tassles are appearing at the top, and the silks are coming out of the baby ears.

Consider it akin to playing the role of Dr. Ruth for the veggie garden. ;^>)

ruffle

Default Squash problems

Thanks, the fruit actually sets on, but then when it is still small it rots and falls off.

Yes, the 'baby fruit' sets at the base of the (female) blossom before pollination. Polination makes the fruit stay and continue growing.

Take pollen from the blossoms that DON'T have a tiny squash attached (the male blossoms), and rub the Q-tip/paint brush/whatever with the male flower's pollen, around on the female blossom's (the ones with the tiny squash attached) pistols (spelling??), inside of the blossom.

If it were 'maters, there's times that 'bloom end rot' can cause such catastrophic damage, though usually with bloom end rot, it's just ugly dark blemishes at the base of the tomato that makes it less than appealing. In the case of bloom end rot, fish meal, crab meal, bone meal, or, if it doesn't raise your PH too high, dolomite lime, will all provide the calcium necessary to squelch the bloom end rot.

Don't forget that different plants like different PH ranges, and PH can effect the nutrients that are avaliable, potentially locking out part or all of a given nutrient/micro-nutrient when the PH slips outside of the range at which that nutrient/micro-nutrient is ordinarily available.

It could also be a shortage of one of the key nutrientes. phosphorus I think is the one that relates to fruit and seed development.

If your fruit starts to grow then rots and falls off you may have a nutrition problem.