Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gulkana Canyon-Kudos to Blue Moose Rafting Guides

Thumbs up Gulkana Canyon-Kudos to Blue Moose Rafting Guides

Two pics of Blue Moose Rafting guides, Tom Schultz and Eli Grossman clearing this log (mentioned by Moose and others in "Paxon Lake" thread by Heg) in Gulkana River Canyon, June 8th.

The log presented significant hazard to boaters attempting passage on river right. After Tom and Eli's efforts, the log dislodged to below the canyon in a much wider place, more likely to move further downstream after subsequent rains (second photo, upper right corner).

Fine effort and their attitude as custodians of the resource is much appreciated.
    Last edited by 6XLeech; 03-16-2010 at 23:13.

Default Thanks for the photos

And comments about Tom and Eli! Wish they would have used the hand chain system in the box to tie it off though and use the block and tackle LOL. I guess I am just old! Stop in this summer at Sailors we are setting up camp on Thurs. Tom owes you a couple of hours on the lower with a King Rod in hand for the photo ops.

:-)

Blue Moose

Thumbs up Thanks buys

For helping out all us other rafters. It is much appreciated
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Gulkana canyon falls

Wondering if you had anymore pics of the falls?? Going to do the float in a couple of weeks and would like to see a few pics before I go..Thanks

Default Canyon pic 6/13

[/quote] So is that the worst part?? Thanks for the pic!

Not my pictures, these are from a buddy at work.
    We'll be floating this river in a couple weeks.

That's a great couple of shots. Proves that even relatively benign looking water can catch you.

From look of the first shot, it looks like the oarsman isn't paying attention (probably is, but that's what it looks like) and the two riders are fixing to high-side on the wrong side. You always want to make your leap *towards* the rock side, not away from it. If they jumped to the right side of the boat they probably would have been fine. That's such an unnatural act though, and it's a common reason for falling in the water. I know I've done it.

Default Oopsie!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    That's a great couple of shots. Proves that even relatively benign looking water can catch you.

From look of the first shot, it looks like the oarsman isn't paying attention (probably is, but that's what it looks like) and the two riders are fixing to high-side on the wrong side. You always want to make your leap *towards* the rock side, not away from it. If they jumped to the right side of the boat they probably would have been fine. That's such an unnatural act though, and it's a common reason for falling in the water. I know I've done it.
    A couple of other things I noticed- the floor boards are running lengthwise, instead of the usual crossways rigging pattern, and the rescue line is clear up in the front instead of next to the oarsman. Nobody can get it up there in a situation like this. I like having mine right next to me so I can deploy it if necessary. Of course, if the oarsman is the guy in the water.... well... I guess in that situation we're all in trouble, since nobody is in control anyway.

Also, the guy in the orange hat... is that his life jacket buttoned up nice and tight around the seat back?

Nice shots.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

New to rafting, I don't get it. Why would you jump to the rock side? How does that help?

Default High-Siding

Quote Originally Posted by Fisharefriends View Post
    New to rafting, I don't get it. Why would you jump to the rock side? How does that help?
    By pushing the downstream tube lower in the water you raise the upstream one, keeping the boat from filling up. Typically the hydraulic pressure wants to force the upstream tube under water, filling the boat and wrapping it around the obstacle. It's a learned skill, because it is opposite of what folks think they should do.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default High Siding

Quote Originally Posted by Fisharefriends View Post
    Excellent teaching on "high siding" (and other techniques) in a DVD from Alaska Raft & Kayak called "Let's Get Wet" - for those of us new to rafting.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the explanation.

Default Good Carnage Shot!!!!

I love it.. If you ever want to watch some fun go watch the sixmile guides from the footbridge run predator in the first canyon at high water. With a good crew, it looks easy, with a bad one, that sticky little hole can make all the tourists go swimming, and it's really fun to watch em swim from seventeen ender on down through predator, two guys were holding the guides oar and it was a good show.

Chris.

P.S. High siding is the most effective prevention in a wrap and a big hydraulic flip situation, jump toward the scary thing, yes, that thing your mind so much wants to run away from, so hard that you hit the tube and can reach out and touch the rock or froth. The only reason I would suggest otherwise is when I think your extra paddle stroke will get us away from the situation, or when the current is moving so fast that extreme impact will throw you into it, then stuff your foot between the crux of the tube and the floor, put yoru knee into the high side tube, and brace for impact, this will cause the boat to either wrap lightly, letting the oarsman pivot off the rock, or the raft will hit the rock and violently spin around the rock, or, you might still pin, but will remain with the boat and make it a whole lot easier for someone to get a rescue line to it so you can tie it off and prepare for a long day.

Default great info

More pics please. Those are great. And the discussion is very informative. Thanks

Default Go To Troutnut.com

if you visit Jason's web site www.troutnut.com not advertising at all honest he has some great pitcures of the bigger holes of course fishing however they are good pitcures. I can not post them they are his private prop.

Just a thought.

Blue Moose
    Last edited by BlueMoose; 06-22-2008 at 14:34. Reason: Spelling as always

Default Gulkana and Pro Pioneer

Is the Gulkana floatable in a Pro Pioneer?

Yes, very. Most of the trip is flat water, or nearly so. The canyon, and several miles after requires some maneuvering, but the PP should do this easy enough if you keep eye on the ball/rocks/whatever.

The PP can get through things than wider boats would not, and that can work to your favor in the canyon. However, they will flip easier if broached on the side of a rock too. But as you can see from the above shots, being wide doesn't always save you either.

Great photos, the water is higher than when I ran it, everyone was going far river right where these photos are. I had the advantage of watching 4 other boats before I made my run. But in all it was an easy run. Scout it out before you go. I have pictures and a video if anyone is interested, I can email them to you. We're heading there thur. so maybe see you on the water.

Default June 14 2008

Gulkana canyon my brother in law and girlfriend first time in a pro pioneer or any raft. They did great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast