Thread: Local Regs/Laws

Default Local Regs/Laws

I am starting to teach the ASI ATV course on the Air Force base and was looking for some help from all of you folks out there. One of the lessons I teach talks about local laws and regulations and I am still not familiar with this area.

If anybody can help me out here I would appreciate it.

Things like registration requirements, helmet laws and such.
    Also, I know there are certain laws about crossing streams at a 90 degree angle.
    Anything you can think of would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Torg84 View Post
    I am starting to teach the ASI ATV course on the Air Force base and was looking for some help from all of you folks out there. One of the lessons I teach talks about local laws and regulations and I am still not familiar with this area.

Also, I know there are certain laws about crossing streams at a 90 degree angle.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan
    There are no laws Well not many.
    There are some andromous streams that you just cross in the SAFEST way possible. The rule is not to play around in them. Usually a 90 angle is the safest way across in a fast moving stream but if you tell people to always cross at 90 they will be swamping their rigs in places like Jim Creek where the only way to avoid the deep holes it's almost a straight shot across.
    Respect private property and respect the trails. Don't go making your own trails thru sensitive areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Torg84 View Post

Thanks in advance,
    Dan
    It is also very important for you to stress permissible activities, such as cutting new trails. Go to the State of Alaska DNR website or their office and you can get a lot of info. They can cut their own new trails on most of the state property, without any kind of permit or prior permission. Another good tidbit to offer would be trail locations, always newbies asking questions about where to ride. Make it easy on them, if you want to keep their attention. Don't just focus on the "Can't Do" aspects. Tell them what they can do and how and where to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    There are no laws Well not many.
    There are some andromous streams that you just cross in the SAFEST way possible. The rule is not to play around in them.

Stream Crossings: These Activities Require a Fish Habitat Permit
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/habitat/streamcrossing.htm

Pre-Authorized Vehicle Stream Crossings
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/habitat/gpvehstreamxings.htm

If its not a pre-authorized crossing, and is anadromous, you are in violation w/out a permit. Cross at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
    Stream Crossings: These Activities Require a Fish Habitat Permit
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/habitat/streamcrossing.htm

Pre-Authorized Vehicle Stream Crossings
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/habitat/gpvehstreamxings.htm

If its not a pre-authorized crossing, and is anadromous, you are in violation w/out a permit. Cross at your own risk.
    I'm well aware about permits. I'm also aware anywhere worth riding ALREADY has permits on file.
    Although scaring a bunch of newby atv riders about stream crosssings makes sense.

This is a list of some of the thing I carry.

Goggle
    Toilet Paper
    Soap, washcloth
    Base ball hat
    Saw
    Ax
    Shovel
    Extra gas
    Flashlight
    Lighter
    First aid kit
    Plastic bags (big)