Thread: Looking for someone to handload

Default Looking for someone to handload

Recently bought a Ruger 270Win for my grandson's upcoming 12th birthday. Looking for someone to work up some light loads to get him started. Prefer someone in the Kenai/Soldotna area. contact me at triumph@alaska.net
    Thanks

Remington now makes reduced loads in 270, as well as '06 along with a number of other calibers. Would recommend you check their web site for more info.

http://www.remington.com/products/am...ged-Recoil.asp

Default Just anybody?

I'll just say this and you can take it as you wish. I don't recommend having someone who is not a professional, licensed AND insured reloader do any loads for you, especially for your youngster. There is way too much liability and oops potential involved. I was a professional reloader in the past, had my own business and now that I'm just a John Q Citizen, I won't do it, especially for people I know. As was suggested, there are light loads commercially available.

Default Light loads for 270Win

Thanks SHPHTR and Mauserboy. What a great site we have. This is great info and I'll be buying "managed recoil ammo" Thanks guys.

Default why not start loading yourself?

it's not hard to do correctly, there's lots that has been written (probably find out all you'd want on google). just start slow & follow the directions in any reloading manuel.
    you could probably get the equipment you need for around $100 (give or take), if you don't opt for the "best".
    even the managed recoil loads are suitable for deer size game and will generate more recoil than a 100 gr bullet & a light load.
    I started both of my boys (they were around 7-8 years old - hard to believe they were ever that small, now) on a 280 rem, with 115 gr bullets at around 1500-1700 fps. in an 8.5 lb ruger, the felt recoil wasn't any more than a 223. if you do go this route, BE SURE TO GET RELIABLE receipe info. loading slow burning powders in reduced ammounts can lead to trouble.
    As important as a light load is to introducing a kid to a center fire rifle, get the best ear protection for him you can find and don't let him near the firing line unless he's wearing it.
    good luck & have fun.
    Gary

A friend's boy recently wanted to upgrade from the .22 in preparation for a youth hunt . I lent them a old .270 and worked some 130g at 2600fps with imr 4350. With the recoil pad it felt as if it hardly went off. Did not bother an 11 yr old. A few shots with open sights seems like a good idea to get used to the rifle without worrying about the scope.

Good luck

Having read about the possible problems with unlicensed and uninsured reloaders "thinking" that they can ignore things like libility and licensing to make a few bucks, read Mauserboy again. He is dead on the money. I've been reloading for 35 years and the most I will do is show someone else how to do it.