Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russian River Report

Default Russian River Report

Well at 12:01 100 yards from the no fishing sign I hooked up first. Then 30 minutes later I had another one on. Well then it went down hill from here. From about 1 am until we left around 5 we saw maybe a total of 4 fish caught. I stopped fishing from 2am-4pm. My knee could not take the cold water and the pressure from the current. I will say there are not that many fish as in past years. The best beat is day time and spot and cast for them..

The crowd was more then I have seen for an opening night. The crowd disappeared pretty quick when it became evident that there was not many fish in.

All in all for me it was just good to finally to go fishing.

Will post pic later
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Thanks for the report

I'm heading south in about 20 minutes.

Did you run into Brian and Soda?????
    If so have they hooked up???
    Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Default Russian Fish Counter

They got the fish weir up and counting all the first run Russian River Reds on Monday. So far... Zero. I wonder if it is correct or if they just haven't turned on the computer yet. I still think they are going to be a bit late this year with the late spring and cool summer so far... We'll see.

Talking Russian Reds

I hit cottonwood at about 15 after 12. It was kinda packed but I've seen it worse. Caught my first red on my tenth cast and lost 5 others before I packed up and hauled out around 2am in order to get to work. Things seemed to have slowed down quite a bit by then. Didn't see anyone limit but people were hooking up fairly regularly for a time. The fish are in there, though not in the numbers people thought.

It was sooo nice just to be able to fish the Russian again

Tight lines guys,

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    No, it got dark so if they were there I would of not seen them....
    I sat on the bank for awhile. They might of saw me.

I can't believe they moved the cleaning tables.

And the bend hole that use to have a tree done in it , is gone now.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    I Didn't see anyone limit but people were hooking up fairly regularly for a time.
    Jon

Talked to a few people there and they were coming back from the ferry. they either caught one or got skunked.

Day time should hear report...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Moved the cleaning tables? Did they take them completley out or just move them to different spots?

They moved them down stream by where the tree use to lean over into the water...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Horrible

Worst opening day that I've seen in quite a while. Lost 13 fish, and the top half of my fly rod due to a line snap/recoil. My friend shattered her fly rod and went for a dip... all in all; I think I'm going to wait for the sanctuary to open before I go back.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    Worst opening day that I've seen in quite a while.
    Agree 100%
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    Worst opening day that I've seen in quite a while. Lost 13 fish, and the top half of my fly rod due to a line snap/recoil. My friend shattered her fly rod and went for a dip... all in all; I think I'm going to wait for the sanctuary to open before I go back.
    So you hooked into 13 fish? Doesn't sound all that bad. Sounds like others have done worse. Although that definitely sucks about the fly rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I can't believe they moved the cleaning tables.
    Fish cleaning tables at Russian River were moved and consolidated as a part of the effort to reduce the buildup of fish carcasses that are contributing to bears lingering in the area. A lot of work is being done to try and prevent negative bear encounters in the area. The Forest Service and USFWS are again prohibiting anglers from leaving food items unattended, and anglers are encouraged to use the fish cleaning tables to fillet their catch and chop up the remains. The tables have been placed in areas where the chopped up carcasses won't hang up and will remain in the current.

Quote Originally Posted by aktally View Post
    Fish cleaning tables at Russian River were moved and consolidated as a part of the effort to reduce the buildup of fish carcasses that are contributing to bears lingering in the area. A lot of work is being done to try and prevent negative bear encounters in the area. The Forest Service and USFWS are again prohibiting anglers from leaving food items unattended, and anglers are encouraged to use the fish cleaning tables to fillet their catch and chop up the remains. The tables have been placed in areas where the chopped up carcasses won't hang up and will remain in the current.
    I recall a discussion by Mike Strahan last year discussing the potential of carcass grinders at the cleaning stations. Did that happen by chance?

They are still working on developing a hand grinder that will work. Last year's model failed to do the job. I like the idea of an air cannon like you see at sporting events where they are shooting t-shirts into the upper balcony.

Ok, that explains why the are in the current now.

No grinders yet.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I just got back from my first trip of the year down there. I fished below the sanctuary, along the bend, and limited out in 1 and half hours. I landed my first fish in about 20 minutes, then had a couple more on. landed my second one, then snagged one on the nose (I released that one. I don't know if it was legal or not), lost a couple more fish after that, then landed my third one, and went to Gwinn's for lunch. I had a blast down there, and will be headed back, as often as the gas prices allow me.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default just wait

On june10th 16 came in. if you look at the early run charts from last year if picked up to about a 1000 fish a day in just about 3 days from the opener

last year counts were

Jun8-0
    Jun9-29
    Jun10-138
    Jun11-552
    Jun12-777
    Jun13-972
    Jun14-1,611

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Worst opening day? Wow, you guys were fishing at the wrong time or in the wrong spot. Soda, his girlfriend and I hit the river at about 9am a little ways down from the falls (below the 600 yard marker) and had hours of hooking, catching, smiling and laughing. Fish were plentiful! We had no problem catching our limits.

I'm not at home yet, but will post a full report with pictures in a half hour or so.

Default I wish I was there thats it im moveing up to ak

good to hear you had a good trip, did soda try my sinkers or did he let you try some?they were probably to heavy for that part of the river.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast