Thread: Hunting from canoe

Default Hunting from canoe

What a great way to hunt.
    Any stories or pictures of canoe hunting would be appreciated especially this time of year.
    Nothing more fun than an overloaded canoe full of moose.
    I had an experience a few years ago with a friend of mine.
    It was sunday and the general hunt was ending on Tuesday.
    we were at church and he told me that he really needed to get a moose and wanted to know if I could go with him and try to call one up.
    We portaged into a Lake that I had been at before and had seen lots of moose and sign.
    It took 45 minutes of backbreaking portaging the canoe above our heads to make it to the lake. Every time we stopped to take a break, I made a couple of cow calls with my Moose Magnet horn. Finally we reached the Lake and dropped the canoe in the tall grass on the lake shore.
    I stood on the edge of the lake wiping the "Bens 100" mosquito dope and sweat out of my eyes. The White Socks were horrible that fall.
    My pardner was guzzling a pint of water, I reached for the container so I could get the small mouthful of water still left , and noticed something move over on the shore to my left.
    I stopped and took a better look.
    It was a 52 inch bull Moose with one side with 3 brow tines.
    He was standing there looking at us.
    My pardner saw me do the double take and looked too.
    The first shot was in the boiler maker, but it didn't drop him.
    He dove in the lake and swam around in circles.
    We launched the canoe in hopes he would make to shore.
    He was not responding to our advance and quickly expired.
    We towed him to shore and dressed him out in 3 feet of water.
    One load of meat out that day, and the rest hung in the tree's
    A brown bear found the moose the next day between our 2nd and third trip out with meat.
    He made off with the left front shoulder.
    We put the Cape and head/horns and one last bag of meat way up in a Birch tree way to high for him to grab, I took the Skeleton of the Moose and towed it out about 100 feet from shore with the canoe and let it sink in the shallow lake and left with our second to last load. This Experience went slower than we would have liked it, as one of us stood guard all the time with a gun ready for a brown bear tug o war .
    When we returned that evening for our last load, I brought along some extra help, my oldest son that was 17 at the time,,, we saw the Bear.(about a 4 year old ) He was over near the same spot that the Moose was when we first spotted him. He was working over something in the grass.
    We looked in our bino's and could see the carcass that I had drug into the lake. The Bear had gone into the lake and brought it out on shore. He was munching on the skinned out head.
    We carefully lowered our meat and horns and cape and headed out. I brought up the rear walking almost backwards for the first half mile making sure the Bear did not follow us.
    A few days later we went back to get the canoe, and found that the bear had bitten the poly material on the bow, and tore up a life vest.
    He had even brought the Neck bones over to where we had dressed the moose out.
    The only time we used the canoe on this trip was to drag the moose to shore and to drag the skeleton into the lake. Also we did a photo of my buddy with the horns in the canoe, but we didn't use the Canoe like we planned.
    That Moose really helped out my friends family that winter, and I was happy that we had success.
    Max

Great moose story and thank you. It is amazing how powerful a hungry bear can be.