Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Stats: 26' - 28' Ocean Boat w/ Twin ETECS

Cool Seeking Stats: 26' - 28' Ocean Boat w/ Twin ETECS

Hey guys, I am pretty much set to put twin Yamaha 4-stroke 150s on my 27' Glacier Craft. I am curious on what you guys with Etecs are getting as far as economy at cruise speed. I am not fond of dealing with oil again or having louder motors but am curious what the stats are. I understand more torqe but I don't care about jumping on step I want efficiency at cruise......
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Hey Dman

I talked to two different boat guys. One was a builder, the guy who built my boat and an appraiser. The appraiser said Etecs are not worth the money. He said Yamahas can be rebuilt, usually around 2500 hours or more and can get close to 12,000 hours before the whole outboard is toast. Etecs are good for 1500-1800 at best he said and can't be rebuilt. I am can't remember why but they can't he said. This is what he does for a living so I trust his judgement. Plus the DVD's with the outboard comparisons from Etec is a joke. Majorly favored for the etecs and I can almost guarantee the side by side test didn't have equal props on the two different motors. YAMAHAS are proven leave the Etecs alone man. Best advice I can give is call independent outboard repair shops and appraisers and see what info you get back. Hope this helps

Thanks for the info. Thats good to know. Like I say I am pretty much set on the Yami but since I plan on this being the last motors I buy for a long time wanted to make sure I did due diligence.

The only Ocean rig I have seen with twin etecs was at the Whittier Launch docked up and the motors wouldn't start so they were dinking with them.

I know some guys in SE running twin e-tecs on their 28' Northriver. I'll send them an e-mail and see how they've done for them.

I'm wondering if twin 150's will be enough for a 27' 9 1/2' boat. I've always been partial to more than enough power then just enough. But jumpging to twin 175's or 225's is a big chunk of change.

Have you explored the Mercury Optimax's? They are less expensive than the Etec's and have many loyal customers.
    You might want to ask the same questions on this forum:
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/category-view.asp
    Tennessee

Dman,
    Have you looked at or considered a Suzuki? They have a gear drive powerhead which typically will allow for a larger prop than a similar hp motor. Also will have a little less vibration and moves the powerhead forward for a improved weight bias over your transom.
    I just installed a 140 on a riverboat and it is considerably quieter than the Yamaha 115 4s I had on another boat. Dont get me wrong the Yamaha was a great motor as well.
    The Suzuki has a great reputation for building durable motors and you know the 4 strokes will outlast a 2 stroke.........

Roustabout....

Maybe you could ask your boat builder assesor friend what his source is for the E-TEC only giving up 1500 to 1800 hours before they are "toast"

I'd like to know where I can find some documention on that....

common sense tells me thats probably bunk so if there is something out there, please point us in the right direction

Look at the wooldirdge boat site below

http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/brochures/index.htm

Then click on 26' Supersport Offshore model it has twin 115 etec performance sheet.

Sobie2

E-Tech came out strong and now talking to several fisherman down in Florida, they are going to make a switch to Merc's, Honda or Yamaha's.. They just did not like the performance they got.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I know some guys in SE running twin e-tecs on their 28' Northriver. I'll send them an e-mail and see how they've done for them.

I'm wondering if twin 150's will be enough for a 27' 9 1/2' boat. I've always been partial to more than enough power then just enough. But jumpging to twin 175's or 225's is a big chunk of change.
    Based on real data I have right now the twin Yami 150s push that boat at 40-42 WOT depending on Prop. I am waiting for the fuel stats at cruise but am hoping to have those soon (Thanks Ebbtide! )

Thanks for all the info guys, I still have some time but I obsess about this sort of stuff and now that the boat is sold I will have plenty of time to obsess!!!! Fun process.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    E-Tech came out strong and now talking to several fisherman down in Florida, they are going to make a switch to Merc's, Honda or Yamaha's.. They just did not like the performance they got.

Interesting...my Dad lives in the Keys and says virtually everyone that can afford go-fast toys runs either an e-tec or Merc and viryually no Yamis. I think it`s usually just the state you live in and the narrow or focused vision that makes us buy what everyone else believes in...it`s just easier. AK is by far a Yamaha state with Honda following and Merc behind them...of course the e-tecs will rank last because they don`t have hours up here yet.

There was a Capt. on here that has a couple large charter boats and swapped to an e-tec setup...wonder if he`ll chime in.

All of the outboards today are top-shelf compared to a decade ago.

Default two seperate guys.

The boat builder told me the same thing about the etecs as the appraiser did. It might be slightly more hours than I posted, but not near the 2500 the big yamahas are known for. Even just the fact that he said they can't be rebuilt is bad enough. I don't feel comfortable giving his number out. His name is Mike and his business is based in Palmer. PM me and I can look up his company name and number. Call some repair shops that are non biased, not dealer related. I have not double checked myself. But if he appraises boats and is around them alot and dealing with customers and has first hand experience....I believe him. Just relaying what I heard is all.

This would most likely be the most relaible source of information about etec's:
    http://forums.etecownersgroup.com/mb/barnaclebill
    Tennessee

Default I like my e-tech

I have a 2007 e-tech 150 on a 2006 21ft. Striper. With just me and some light gear she will run 42 mph at WOT. Loaded down with a few days of supplies she will run 38ish mph at WOT. At cruising in the 20-24 mph range I use about 3 gph. I have over a 300 mile range on 105 gal tank. I use the synthetic oil. It took over 600 gallons of gas before I had to add oil to my 2 1/2 gallon tank. I dont know what kind of problems anyone else has had with e-techs but mine has been flawless. dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I think it`s usually just the state you live in and the narrow or focused vision that makes us buy what everyone else believes in...it`s just easier. AK is by far a Yamaha state with Honda following and Merc behind them...of course the e-tecs will rank last because they don`t have hours up here yet.
    I agree with you. It must be a state thing. In Wash allot of Hewes come with Honda. Now that you mentioned it, last time I was done in Florida I don't remember seeing a Yamaha. Xmas when I go down I will have to pay more attention to see if what motors are running.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I agree with you. It must be a state thing. In Wash allot of Hewes come with Honda. Now that you mentioned it, last time I was done in Florida I don't remember seeing a Yamaha. Xmas when I go down I will have to pay more attention to see if what motors are running.
    Perhaps that is it. I have 3 OMC 2 stroke Outboards: an 85hp 4 banger, a 20 factor Johnson Jet, and a 6hp Evinrude twin kicker. They are the best motors that I have in a collection that includes 2 honda 45s, and a Suzuki 25. My wife thinks I am nuts when she tells them that I need another outboard.......

Quote Originally Posted by dirtface View Post
    I have a 2007 e-tech 150 on a 2006 21ft. Striper. With just me and some light gear she will run 42 mph at WOT. Loaded down with a few days of supplies she will run 38ish mph at WOT. At cruising in the 20-24 mph range I use about 3 gph. I have over a 300 mile range on 105 gal tank. I use the synthetic oil. It took over 600 gallons of gas before I had to add oil to my 2 1/2 gallon tank. I dont know what kind of problems anyone else has had with e-techs but mine has been flawless. dirt.
    Thanks for the info. I talked to a charter guy this weekend that has twin 150 etec on a 28' Kingfisher and he said that he can cruise 27 mph and only burn 9.5 gph, that almost seems hard to believe but he sounded like he knew his numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I talked to a charter guy this weekend that has twin 150 etec on a 28' Kingfisher and he said that he can cruise 27 mph and only burn 9.5 gph, that almost seems hard to believe but he sounded like he knew his numbers.
    That may be possible if it is the smaller 28 footer. Their dry weight according to the web page is just over 5K. There is an ACB parked next to mine in Whittier that is running 200 ETECHS. I will try to get some numbers from him.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    That may be possible if it is the smaller 28 footer. Their dry weight according to the web page is just over 5K. There is an ACB parked next to mine in Whittier that is running 200 ETECHS. I will try to get some numbers from him.
    Thanks! The guy I talked to is a charter guy and he goes through over $800 a summer in oil. :O

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast