Thread: Western Alaska Fishing Spots ?

Default Western Alaska Fishing Spots ?

My buddy posted this over in the Fishing forum, but hasnt gotten any response yet. I thought Id try in this one as well...

Me and a couple buddies will be traveling out to Western Alaska for a week of flying and fishing starting June 23rd. We will be traveling via our own airplanes (wheels only) and could be ranging from Iliamna to Bethel. Anybody got any good recommendations on areas to go. We fish for anything; Rainbows, Kings, Reds, Dollies, Grayling, if it swims we will try and catch it.

Thanks !

Bob K.
    Anchorage, AK

Talking Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    My buddy posted this over in the Fishing forum, but hasnt gotten any response yet. I thought Id try in this one as well...

Me and a couple buddies will be traveling out to Western Alaska for a week of flying and fishing starting June 23rd. We will be traveling via our own airplanes (wheels only) and could be ranging from Iliamna to Bethel. Anybody got any good recommendations on areas to go. We fish for anything; Rainbows, Kings, Reds, Dollies, Grayling, if it swims we will try and catch it.

Thanks !

Bob K.
    Anchorage, AK
    Don't know too much about wheels west of Iliamna and Goodnews, but don't leave Lake Iliamna without giving it a shot at the outlet - - - Igiugig. Good strip and excellent fishing for rainbows and salmon both.

Have a good trip and . . . . . GOOD LUCK !

Mort

Thanks Mort !

We'll check out Iguigig on the way past. Ive been going through the area with a fine tooth comb in Google Earth, looking for little strips here and there, but the rivers will all have changed from the imagery... We'll just have to check it out once we get there !

Thanks again !

Bob

Default Portage Creek

Im doing a fly out to portage creek on the 22nd. Never been there before but the Nushagak is supposed to be one of the largest king runs in the world. you can rent a boat from the general store in portage creek. Best make reservations though.

All of the rivers draining into the Kusko from the south have trout, grayling I believe, and salmon. Just a matter of finding places to land and seeing what fish are around that area. Rivers draining into Bristol Bay are the same I think. On the coast, rivers draining into the ocean between Bethel and Togiak have trout and salmon. The Kanektok by Quinahuk is a known fishing hotspot. June 23 is somewhat early and salmon may not be very far upriver.
    Talk to fish bios for the areas. They often know of landing places also.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Illiamna

Don't forget to fish the rapids at Illiamna, walking distance from the airport. I would check with the Native Associations and see if they have any landing areas you can go to. Pay the trespass fee and go enjoy yourself.

On a side note, are there any public landing areas on the Deshka?

Mac

akmc,

There is a strip on the south side of the deshka's mouth which I landed at. I read it was "public-private". It was long and in good condition for my piper. We then walked down the creek at the end of the runway to the river. It was a long walk to get to the fishing spots on the deshka and when we were there I wished we had a boat.