Thread: Favorite 30-06 load

Default Favorite 30-06 load

So what is your favorite 30-06 load for hunting in Alaska? I have been loading the 180 grain Barnes X, Winchester brass, CCI 200 primers and 60 grains of Reloader 19 for a number of years.

I have not hunted in Alaska yet and I have owned in my life six 30-06's and fixing to own another one which will be a Mark V 6 lug 30-06 with 24" barrel. I have on heavy game out side of the US used 220gr and 250 grain but mostly 180grain bullets. I think for Alaska I would like to use a 180gr TSX or A-Frame in front of IMR4350 and 210 Fed primers with Remington brass.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default dpends

My choices are the Nosler partition and the Hornady spire, both in 180. I prefer the Nosler for hunting and shoot the Hornady for practice, though I've never actually had any problems when I've popped game with Hornady. If I could only have one, I'd go for the Hornady as all around, just cuzz it's cheaper and still does okay on game. You won't catch me busting 300 or 400 Noslers a year for practice.

Pretty consistently from gun to gun IMR-4350 turns out ot be one of the best powders with 180's. Others are good too, but none seems to be quite as universal in being liked by all guns. I adjust the charge to suit the accuracy preferences of the rifle, but in most I get the best accuracy right up near max.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    My choices are the Nosler partition and the Hornady spire, both in 180. I prefer the Nosler for hunting and shoot the Hornady for practice, though I've never actually had any problems when I've popped game with Hornady. If I could only have one, I'd go for the Hornady as all around, just cuzz it's cheaper and still does okay on game. You won't catch me busting 300 or 400 Noslers a year for practice.

Pretty consistently from gun to gun IMR-4350 turns out to be one of the best powders with 180's. Others are good too, but none seems to be quite as universal in being liked by all guns. I adjust the charge to suit the accuracy preferences of the rifle, but in most I get the best accuracy right up near max.

I agree with the 4350, it is the powder for the 180 grain bullets in the 30-06. As far as bullets go, for run of the mill, I feel the 180 grain Core-loc is the answer to just about anything I want to shoot with a 30-06. But if I want to get fancy, then my nod will go to Woodleigh's 180 grain bullet.

Personally I have never had a need to go higher than the 180 grain bullet in the 30-06. I have not figured out what the 220 and 240 grain bullets are for, here in Alaska.

The numbers of animals killed by the Remington loaded Core-locs here in Alaska must be beyond staggering, As the major supplier in Alaska is a Remington distributor and has been for decades.

Primers, I just don't see much of a difference in, for the 30-06 when using 4350. All seem to work about the same for me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Ha!

The only reason I didn't list the Corlok was fear for its current availability. I agree completely. In fact, considering all the years the Corelok has been around and was so commonly used in factory loads, I'm wondering how much of the 06's great reputation on game is due specifically to the Corelok.

I haven't checked if they're still available, but for a lot of years Corelok were super cheap from Midway. I've still got an unopened box of 2,000 I picked up a while back alongside the almost empty box of 2,000 I bought at the same time.

Thanks for dragging me to the line on that one. The Corelok combines just the right combo of retained weight and expansion at 06 velocities. Same with their 200 grain 35 cal RN, 86 grain 25 cal FP and 150 and 175 grain 7mms in the right cases.

Mark

180 grain Swift A-Frame, 55 grains IMR 4350.

Thumbs up 30-06

IMR 4350@ 56.0
    Fed 210 match Primer
    FC Nickle Cases
    180 Nosler AB
    Alaska

case full of H4831 and 200 GR Nosler PN

Default 30-06 Loads

Two of my favorites:

180 grain Noslers or Hornady/Nosler bonded bullets with full case loads of RL-19 in Win brass with Win WLR Primers.

165 grain Hornady Interbonds with IMR-4350 in Gov Match Brass and Fed 210M primers (very accurate load).

Woody

The '06 is such a good caliber and so accepting of different bullet it just plain works with all of them.

My favorite or my goto load for serious hunting is the 56.0 grs of 4350 and a 180 grain partition. It always works wonders. I live just down the road from Sierra bullets and I buy bulk form them so any practice bullet will be Sierra. I think the 180 grain round nose soft point is one heck of a good bullet for deer to elk and I really don't need the partition but you know we have to use a premium bullet for hunting! Primers don't matter much, Fed 210 or CCI-200, I also adjust the powder charge for some rifles, I still have several '06 rifles and I guess I'd have to say the 30-06 and a good 180 grain bullet is top notch.
    Last edited by Murphy; 06-11-2008 at 16:43.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Bullet:180 Interlock or Partition

Powder: 4530's, IMR4831, or RL 19.

Just plain kills stuff.

Right now for moose and bears I like the Federal HE 180 gr Nosler Partition.

When I get set up for reloading, I'll probably cook my own recipe that is similar to it.
    Now what ?

I have gone from my now no more in hand 180 grand slams to the 168 TSX and IMR4350-have plenty of 220 Part. loaded with RL22 for in close wooly boogers. I have always liked the complete pass thru with the 220's-grizz or moose.

Me and a buddy sat on our bait station about 2 weeks ago and he whacked a black bear with his old trusty wood/blued 30-06. And yup, he was shooting the plain jane old fashioned (grin...) 180 grain Coreloks. He blew the heart of this bear into shreads literally and the bullet exited with not too big a hole. I'd say that that combo was quite impressive, bear went maybe 15 yards hurting bad. Sometimes we make things way more complicated than they need to be and the 30-06 is definately not complicated!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Sometimes we make things way more complicated than they need to be and the 30-06 is definately not complicated!
    I think you're onto something there!

I find that the more time I spend at home rather than out in the hills, the more I complicate things. If I'm out in the hills doing stuff, the basics are usually plenty. It's only when I get to dreaming up scenarios about hill time that I start thinking up complicated solutions for problems that don't really exist.

I'm guessing all of us need more hill time and less time at home dreaming and what-iffing.

The beauty of the 30-06 is that IT IS SIMPLE and very forgiving when it comes to powders, bullets and primers and can be explain best with the metaphor "MEAT AND POTATO'S"
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

180 grain Failsafe was my favorite. But since they stopped making them, I have switched to 180 grain Barnes X Triple Shock.

I agree with BrownBear and AKcub....the Remington core-lokt bullets kick tail. I've taken many deer and bear with 180 grain .30 caliber and 200 grain .35 caliber--and have found the combination of penetration and expansion to be ideal. It's hard to beat a classic!

180's in the field (TSX's, Scirrocos, Noslers) seem perfect, and I've taken black bear, caribou, blacktail, and wolf with them. I've not loaded the 200's or 220's. I always seem to use one of the 4350's or RL-19, and I'm usually pushing up at the higher end or at the top. One of my .30-06's is the most acurate rifle I own.