Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: little sue 6/10

Default little sue 6/10

Just got back from the little sue. No sign of fish. Fished upstream today from 1 to 4pm. Fish and Game was out but not the kings.

Thumbs down

We were number 9,10,11,and 12 counting a jack,numbers are way down,fish are not late guys and gals,there not going to show up.....sorry to say........

I'm still saying the floods two years ago August are going to effect the runs some this year. It maybe worse next year. I just can't see how the Parks Hwy streams and rivers can't get be effected. The flood was as severe as the one that wiped out the Deshka back in the 80's. My 2 cents.

Flooding from the fall of 2006 could have scoured king eggs deposited in the gravel that year. It may have also affected the sub-yearling fry that hatched from eggs deposited in 2005, but those juvenile fish likely would have sought out refuge close to the bank and along the submerged brush to escape the torrential flows.... in other words, they probably did OK.

The eggs deposited in 2006 would have emerged from the gravel in the early spring of 2007, and would have gone to sea in the spring of 2008. Those fish are virtually all still out in the ocean... well, except a few that spent only a month or two in Cook Inlet and are now returning as precocious trout-sized jacks.

The 2005 brood would have finished its first year at sea by now and some of those would be coming back as single-digit 3-6 pound "rats" this year. The bulk of the brood would be expected to return as much larger adults over the next three years... 2-salts in the 8-15# class in 2009, 3-salts in the 18-30# class in 2010, and 4-salts in the 30-50# class in 2011.

In other words your theory would only explain a shortfall of jacks and micro-jacks in 2008. The current shortage of large adult fish cannot be explained on the basis of a flood event in 2006.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Unhappy Slow, slow, slow

Was out 6/10 bank fishing on the Little Sue. 7pm to 11pm. Saw two fish roll. Did not see any fish caught.

Doc so it probable that the bad fishing is a year or two away. I hope that is not the case.

Default water

How clear was the water for those who fished in the last 3 days - posted June 11. Anybody try at the mouth?

The water is high and beautiful. Quite clear. Since the tide water runs halfway up the river to the landing that is as far as I go.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by gconk View Post
    Doc so it probable that the bad fishing is a year or two away. I hope that is not the case.
    Good news, bad news.

Bad news... yes, eggs laid in 2006 took a hit.

Good news.... the "hit" to returning adults is spread over at least three years to soften the blow. Mother Nature's way of diversifying her portfolio in the natural economy.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Doc I appreciate your knowledge. Thanks for schooling me a bit.

Default I could of told you that

Hey gconk, you need all the schoolin you can get!!

If you can swing an early morning, the fishing on the little su is many many times better early in the morning. From my experience during the last 12 summers there the fishing is excellent at 6am, and pretty much dies around 9am. The evenings are so-so but nothing compared to morning fishing.

Just my experience.

Ive been down river from burma twice now. saturday my buddie had one on for awhile but he kept running in the trees and frayed his line up till it snapped. kinda like the fish knew he had mono line....snickering....other than that didnt see much of anything and the board read 26. yesterday morning my BOSS went upriver said he didnt see anything. i went that night after WORK! took the wife and kid. well we didnt catch anything but seen like 7 bad boys jump, one splashed us in the boat he was so close. i could see them making rolling waves coming up the river, i know where they are and im not telling...haha i gotta get back out there ASAP! in conclusion they are down river not up, yet. soon very soon...

Default Not telling?

You're the only one!!!

oh heck i couldnt tell you anyway, but i could show you. we were a few miles (or a few more) down river working the sides. the last place i stopped is where all the action was. it was like a dream seeing them come in like that. it was 9:30pm when they started doing their thing. there was trees and shrubs along one side and a sandy beach on the other...haha... i think ill be going back tonight. if the lil woman and kid could have hung in there im sure we would have all caught.

That will be great if they do come in.

My dad and two brothers will be here tonight and tommorow morning and we will start fishing the Lil Su again on Sunday.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Little Su 6-12

I fished today. I had 5 fisherman in the boat, had 12 bites hooked 6, landed 4. Took the wife out after my guide trip and caught a nice 27 lber in about 15 minutes. Things may be looking up.

http://www.alaskasusitnacharters.com/fishjojune.html

Greg

absolutely great to hear; sounds like things at ship are just starting to come around aswell- good luck to all you valley fisherman

Default lil su

we put three in the boat this morning (6-13)...lost a hog!

Talking Little Su 6-14

We put four in the boat today out of five fisherman. I have not been as busy as some of the guides but I am well over 50% catch for my clients. Hey, FishNPhysician, How do I calculate rod hours for the guy that hooks one on the first set before I even turn the motor off to back Troll with the oars The fishing is good, but not as good as I have seen it in the years past.

Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast