Thread: Running Alexander Creek in 21' ThunderJet?

Question Running Alexander Creek in 21' ThunderJet?

I was hoping to get the "Always Much Appreciated Help From Those In The Know, Who Have Been There And Done That"...that I always get here. In our ongoing search for a piece of remote "boat accessible" in an inboard Jet...Can anybody "that HAS done it" tell me just how far a guy who can "read water pretty well" would make it up Alexander Creek in a "normal water year"? I was just out on the Su, Deshka and Yentna this weekend...and know the water is high. Were I to consider property on Alexander Creek...how far could I make it "on step"? We have a 21" ThunderJet that WILL ride through 5-6", with a 325HP fuel injected 350 and a stainless impellered Hamilton HJ212 pump. It will "come up" quick, and will do just shy of 50mph. Again...the hep here is "much appreciated and truly an invaluable resource"! Thanks, Guys...have a "Ball This Summer", when you can "afford to FEED Our Toys"!

Default Alexander

Back in the late 80's, my dad and his friends would run all the way up Alexander Creek to Sucker Creek. My dad was running a 21 foot Yukon Jet (Valco) with the old 3 stage Hamilton then. It can be done. Used to run the Yukon Jet and the 22 foot Wooldridge on the Little Susitna too. The Little Susitna and Alexander are a lot alike. Have fun.

Default running alexander creek

I have run the alexander creek at least a hundred time from 1975 until early ninetys, had a cabin just below trail creek, used to be able to run on step all the way to sucker creek than local lodges and guides not to mention floaters became so thick that it became a dangerous situation.
    upstream of trail creek it becomes very winding and floaters are right in the middle like they are daring you to run over them,than when you do slow down for them you either run aground or suck your intake full of grass or rocks.instead of helping you they flip you off and mumble profanitys, I sold out ,you cant fish upstream anymore anyways.way too crowded.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGrizz View Post
    I was hoping to get the "Always Much Appreciated Help From Those In The Know, Who Have Been There And Done That"...that I always get here. In our ongoing search for a piece of remote "boat accessible" in an inboard Jet...Can anybody "that HAS done it" tell me just how far a guy who can "read water pretty well" would make it up Alexander Creek in a "normal water year"? I was just out on the Su, Deshka and Yentna this weekend...and know the water is high. Were I to consider property on Alexander Creek...how far could I make it "on step"? We have a 21" ThunderJet that WILL ride through 5-6", with a 325HP fuel injected 350 and a stainless impellered Hamilton HJ212 pump. It will "come up" quick, and will do just shy of 50mph. Again...the hep here is "much appreciated and truly an invaluable resource"! Thanks, Guys...have a "Ball This Summer", when you can "afford to FEED Our Toys"!