Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: When's the Crow Pass Race?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    469

    Default When's the Crow Pass Race?

    Anyone know when the Crow Pass race is scheduled? I'm planning a hike over the solstice weekend that includes part of the Crow Pass trail and I would prefer to not be on the trail during the race.

    In addition, if anyone knows anything about the bold sections of the route below, please let me know...

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    I'm looking into going from North Fork of Eagle River, past Symphony Lake and over the top to Ship Creek. Then up Ship Creek, over Morraine Pass, down Camp Creek to intersect the Crow Pass trail, across Eagle River and back down to the Eagle River Nature Center. I have the Chugach State Park map and it shows a trail for the route.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eagle River Valley
    Posts
    105

    Default July 19th

    Carnivore,
    July 19th is the day of the race. I will have 2 weeks to recover from Mt. Marathon on the 4th prior to the race. You shouldn't shy away from race day out there, we would welcome you cheering us along! Several of us doing the race are hard-core sheep hunters and guides. The race starts at 7:00 AM, at crow creek mine.

    -Chris

  3. #3
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Chris - That's great that you're doing the race! My goal is to do Lost Lake next year in order to qualify for the Crow Pass Crossing the following year. I've been camped out at Thunder Gorge five or six times when the race came through and have always wanted to take part.

    Carnivore - As Chris pointed out, you'll beat the race by a month. As for your route, one thing that stands out is that Symphony Lake is at the headwaters of the South Fork of Eagle River, not the North Fork. Or...are you planning on climbing up past Eagle Peak into the South Fork drainage and then past the lake?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eagle River Valley
    Posts
    105

    Default More on Crow Pass race...

    Brian,
    I did Lost Lake last year for my qualifier, as I HATE running if it is on pavement, or on flat terrain. I LOVE to trail run, speed hike, and run up and down mountains, though.

    Carnivore,
    I know the map shows a "trail" on upper ship creek and through the pass to Camp creek, but i think that dotted line is more of a "route". Also, good luck on bushwacking through lower camp creek to raven creek! I think that will be a class V bushwacking. Again, that nice dotted line looks great on the map, but....don't let that discourage you, I know many people who have made it through there and lived to tell about it, lol.

    BTW, I will be doing at least part of that route in September while chasing monster sheep with my brother-in-law!

    Good luck and have fun on your scouting trip.

    -CW

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    469

    Default Compass

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Carnivore - As Chris pointed out, you'll beat the race by a month. As for your route, one thing that stands out is that Symphony Lake is at the headwaters of the South Fork of Eagle River, not the North Fork. Or...are you planning on climbing up past Eagle Peak into the South Fork drainage and then past the lake?
    My bad Brian - I must have had my compass upside down.

    I meant the South Fork.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    469

    Default hmmm...

    Quote Originally Posted by sheepshape365 View Post
    Brian,
    Carnivore,
    I know the map shows a "trail" on upper ship creek and through the pass to Camp creek, but i think that dotted line is more of a "route". Also, good luck on bushwacking through lower camp creek to raven creek! I think that will be a class V bushwacking. Again, that nice dotted line looks great on the map, but....don't let that discourage you, I know many people who have made it through there and lived to tell about it, lol.

    BTW, I will be doing at least part of that route in September while chasing monster sheep with my brother-in-law!

    Good luck and have fun on your scouting trip.

    -CW
    Thanks sheep shape. I knew it was too good to be true. I'm still tempted to do it though. If I do I'll let you know how it goes.
    Last edited by Carnivore; 06-10-2008 at 19:07. Reason: spelling
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

  7. #7
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheepshape365 View Post
    Brian,
    I did Lost Lake last year for my qualifier, as I HATE running if it is on pavement, or on flat terrain. I LOVE to trail run, speed hike, and run up and down mountains, though.
    So this is your first year on the Crow Pass race? Right on - that is so exciting! Good luck to you! Maybe I'll come out along the trail with my packraft and make a cheering/floating day out of it.

    As for running, you echo my sentiments exactly. I used to be convinced that I hated running. One day I got a sat phone call from my sister up by Thunder Gorge needing a bit of a rescue for my cousin who was woefully unprepared for such a hike. My brother and I ran in the 12 miles and I felt like I didn't break a sweat. I did, of course, but what I realized is that my previous dislike for running is because I got bored too quickly. Running on a road or a track just kills me, but if I need to watch for roots and rocks I can go all day long. I'm not fast, but I like it!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •