Thread: Bear Reports?

Default Bear Reports?

I am just curious if there are any new reports on recent Bear Hunts, and/or the weather/snow conditions? We are looking at heading either 2-3 hours drive, North or South of Anchorage, but aren't sure because our knowledge of the snow is very minimal... If anybody can help us out, that'd be great, Thanks!

Lots of snow along the road system out of Valdez. If you get up a couple hundred feet the snow is over two feet deep on all but the south faceing slopes!
    Dave

Default Valdez

No bait station hits as of tonight. Should start soon I hope.

Default Bear reports

Bears are everywhere outside of Homer, we just finished a 5 day hunt and we saw 8-10 every day. We also saw a good number of them last Wednesday night including two grizz while driving back to Anchorage.

Doug

Default Got Bait Out Today!

The cool spring has its good and bad points. Bad point is I can't take the trail to my stand (12 Miles), good point is I can drive to the river with my truck and walk across and walk a 1/2 mile to it. I walked with my bait to my stand which had about 10 inches of snow on the ground and deposited my bait. I did notice some tracks in the snow. It was definately a bear but being about 6 inches across with claw marks I don't think it is what I am looking for.
    I hope he/she was just passing through.
    I am planning on checking it in a few days to see what happens.
    Good luck to all,
    Dave

Default Griz Out

Quite a few griz have been out on the north side of the Denali Range for several weeks. There's still pretty good snow down around Cantwell and along the Denali Highway. Road is in pretty condition other than a few soft spots. Several of the rivers in the area are well on their way to breaking up. Planning a short float next week. Here are a few pics of griz spotted over the past couple of weeks. And no these are not park bears!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default one more

One more griz
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you were able to take those pics, why didn't you shoot?

Default Shoot

martintrapper...

The old boy posted by himself is no longer with us! Troopers sent him to the happy hunting grounds a week or so ago. The pic was just before his faithfull departure. The other one was in a legal area but probaly would not have been politicly correct for the location to pull the trigger! We still have to live with some of the tree huggers here!!! Waiting for next week!

alaskawild338,

Thanks for the photos! Nice looking bear.