Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Silver!

Default First Silver!

I caught my first silver sunday out of whittier! I was trolling hoping to catch feeder kings or maybe a few rockfish while my pots were soaking. I havent fished much out of Whittier but this seems early for silvers. I have caught silvers in Seward as early as the last week in June. Any other Silvers caught this year out of whittier or any other place for that matter?

Wow this is early... You must of been far out there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

wheres the picture?

Are you absolutely sure it wasn't a chum? With silver streaks on their tails, ocean chums can be difficult to distinguish from a silver. Just a thought... If it was indeed a silver, this is crazy early! Either way, congratulations.

Hello Alaska Grey, I was less than 20 miles out of whittier we hooked 2 and boated one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Hello Alaska Grey, I was less than 20 miles out of whittier we hooked 2 and boated one.
    Not saying it's not true, but this seems way to early for them to be here.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Hello Brian M, I am sure this was a silver, green back, small spots by dorsel fin.... and yes I have a picture, not sure how to post pictures but i will give it a shot tomorrow as I do not have my camera with me right now.

In the Forum Tips area there is a thread that explains the options for posting pictures. Let me know if you need other help after reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Not saying it's not true, but this seems way to early for them to be here.

I understand the scepticsim, That is why I created the thread, I to was very suprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    In the Forum Tips area there is a thread that explains the options for posting pictures. Let me know if you need other help after reading that.

Thanks Brian I will give it a shot tomorrow.

First read this and got all excited. If it is a silver might have to troll alittle bit
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Seems fishy

A picture will say a 1000 words. Very hard to tell a silver from a fresh chum. Only way I can tell is by the gums and the eyes. Chums have white gums, silvers have a lot of black mixed in. Chums have huge pupils if memory serves me correctly, silvers were smaller in diameter for pupils. chums taste a little bit stronger than the silvers, fine grilled fresh. I say chum, maybe a jack king.

Talking

couple years ago i got one may 31st off glacier spit.. and yes, i am sure.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Lake Bay Chums, i.e. Wally Noerenburg Hatchery!!

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    A picture will say a 1000 words. Very hard to tell a silver from a fresh chum. Only way I can tell is by the gums and the eyes. Chums have white gums, silvers have a lot of black mixed in. Chums have huge pupils if memory serves me correctly, silvers were smaller in diameter for pupils. chums taste a little bit stronger than the silvers, fine grilled fresh. I say chum, maybe a jack king.

Yes folks, huge CHUM hatchery... While entirely possible to be a Silver, I would bet it was a nice chum... Ester chums start returning around mid-May and continue strong into mid-July...

FYI, chum and sockeye are the most difficult to tell apart.... Chum and Silvers are very easy to tell apart... Chum and sockeye have no spots (if any are present they are very few... Both have deeply forked tails and sockeye have even rows of small very neat scales, very large pupil and very fine gill rakers while chums have very course gill rakers...

Finally figured out how to post the picture, I also have the head in my freezer for Halibut bait, the mouth has black shading with white gums, small spots near dorsel fin and tail. This fish was caught 6/8/2008 in cochrane bay.

Try Again!!

Next time just click on the manage attachments button at the bottom of the reply to thread page and browse to the photo on your computer and bob's your uncle!!!

Default Chum Salmon

I still say chum man. Pic didn't show. Black shadding doesn't sound like a silver. Silvers are pretty black with a little white I think all through out the mouth. If around the edges sounds like a chum. Try the pic again.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Try Again!!

Next time just click on the manage attachments button at the bottom of the reply to thread page and browse to the photo on your computer and bob's your uncle!!!

Maybe this will work!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice Picture. Can't tell what salmon it is.. Either way I'm sure it was good to eat.. Do you go out allot to Whitter?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I still say chum man. Pic didn't show. Black shadding doesn't sound like a silver. Silvers are pretty black with a little white I think all through out the mouth. If around the edges sounds like a chum. Try the pic again.

I wasnt asking for an opionion on what species of Salmon we caught, I posted because it is a Silver caught very early in the fishing season. This isnt my first year fishing and I have caught enuogh Silvers to know one when I see it. As I stated before I understand the scepticism as I was very suprised myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast