Thread: Devil's Pass/Summit Creek

Default Devil's Pass/Summit Creek

Hello,
    My wife and I are planning on doing a hike monday. Hike up into the Alpine, camp out, hike back out by noon the next day. I've been wanting to do one of these two hikes, can anyone recommend one over the other? We are both in good shape, but is that enough time for a trip like this?

Where are the good camp sites up there? What is the snow level like this time of year?

Thanks.

I far prefer Summit, but there are advantages to Devil's Pass. The climb in Summit begins immediately, and you will be above treeline within 45-60 minutes. I like this for the scenery, but it's also usually windy up there and firewood is nonexistant. On the Devil's Pass trail you'll wind through forest for a few miles before starting to climb. Even when you're near the pass there will still be protected places to camp in the alders and perhaps some firewood. For a day hike I will always choose Summit, but for camping overnight Devil's Pass might be a better choice.

Thanks Brian,
    Do you think either trail is do-able in 20 hours including a camp at the top overnight?

Which trail has more wildlife/fishing? Are they dog friendly trails (energetic year old lab)?

Thanks again for your input.

Both are doable in 20 hours, though the hike to the "top" of Devil's Pass is longer if you're set on reaching the pass. Both trails are dog friendly, though Devil's Pass is probably in better shape. There is no fishing along either trail, and wildlife is possible along both. You'll probably be more likely to see goats and sheep along Devil's Pass, though I've seen sheep, bears, and caribou along both trails.

Cool, thanks Brian, I appreciate the advice. I haven't done either of those trails so I'm looking forward to it. We spoke a while back about the hiking up there in th Kenai Mts, I don't think I'm going to be able to spend a week up there exploring

Looks like I got cut off....

Anywhoo, yeah like I was saying I don't think I'm gonna have as much time as I'd hoped to explore up high in that area, so this should be a fun day and a half trip into Alpine country.

I glanced up in the valleys as I drove by today. There is still snow, but it looks to be patchy and I'm guessing that you'll be able to find plenty of dry ground to camp on. After I passed by it occured to me that I should have stopped to look at the trail logs. You may want to do this before hiking, as the two trailheads are only 5 miles apart. People often write reports about snow cover, trail conditions, etc. The trail log for the Summit trailhead is about 40 feet down the trail and isn't obvious from the parking area. The Devil's Pass log is right there in plain view.

Hey thanks for looking Brian.