Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boating Etiquette

Default Boating Etiquette

You all know that manners and common curtesy are big with me. Every time I go to the Deshka, it seems like darn near every single boat who comes up the mouth blasts by the first 4 or 5 boats that are anchored up fishing and slams them with wake. They don't pull their throttles back until they have gone by at least 10 boats, and they come by pretty close. What is up with that?! It gets very old very quickly, is it just me or what? I'm to the point that I feel like yelling some expletives out. If you're going to go by people at least swing over to the other side so as to not slam them with wake, I don't understand the need to go by other boats within 20 - 30 feet!! I want to fish, not pretend I'm riding bulls. Anyway, would love to hear what you all have to say. Thanks!!

if you don't want wake, anchor up in the no wake zone........I agree with you that the boats should be as far as possible from you when they pass, that's just safe and courteous....somehow I don't believe many boats are passing within 20 feet of you on step..that's just crazy....seems like a strech...if that happened you should be doing some yelling...heck, you should be doing some pounding....lol....if you anchor up right down by the Su you're gonna get waked a bit...you can expect a guy to do 3mph from the Su up past the island....lol...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    ...you can expect a guy to do 3mph from the Su up past the island....lol...

Why not????

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Default tjm

I know wake is part of life in a boat, don't know when the last time you were at the Deshka, but yhea, they are pretty close and they are going pretty **** fast. I usually have 4 - 5 people in my boat and some of them are new to Alaska and the Deshka, we all look at each other and go ***O, typical remarks run to "what an a%*hole, what is wrong with that guy, SLOW DOWN, etc...I'm not trying to sound like a whiner, but man, what is it with people. Again, fish make people a little crazy I guess. You would be surprised how close they pass, I don't know maybe I am a whinerrrrr, NOT!!! lol.

Can't say that I've had exactly the same experience however I'd rather them go by on step rather than 1/3 throttle not on step throwing out a wake like typically is done. No wake doesn't mean you should see a 1' wave coming at ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    I know wake is part of life in a boat
    roger that

don't know when the last time you were at the Deshka
    3 to 4 times a week, from the mouth to the forks...

they are pretty close and they are going pretty **** fast.
    define pretty close, because I'm not buying your 20 foot comment....That would be such a rare event, and if it happened someone would need a talking to...

I usually have 4 - 5 people in my boat and some of them are new to Alaska and the Deshka
    what's that got to do with it?...we should all be courteous no matter what load we're carrying....

I'm not trying to sound like a whiner
    you are...

Again, fish make people a little crazy I guess.
    perhaps you as well...

I don't know maybe I am a whinerrrrr, NOT!!! lol.
    maybe a little..lol....

I'm not trying to give you a hard time......but courtesy goes both ways....for a guy to expect me to idle from the Su to the top of the no wake zone is a little selfish is you ask me....When I'm in the no wake zone, I'm throwing 'NO WAKE'....when I'm not in it, I steer wide and stay high on step to reduce wake....You can't expect any more than that from folks....otherwise, I'd be coming off step and idleing around every deep corner from the mouth to the wier.......the fishing area below the no wake zone is no different than anchoring miles upstream....
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    Why not????
    I covered it in my other reply...I'll paste it for you...

courtesy goes both ways....for a guy to expect me to idle from the Su to the top of the no wake zone is a little selfish is you ask me....When I'm in the no wake zone, I'm throwing 'NO WAKE'....when I'm not in it, I steer wide and stay high on step to reduce wake....You can't expect any more than that from folks....otherwise, I'd be coming off step and idleing around every deep corner from the mouth to the wier.......the fishing area below the no wake zone is no different than anchoring miles upstream....
    pull my finger....

Default Clarification

I mentioned the 4 -5 people in the boat as in if you asked them they would tell you how close people are going by, i.e. witnesses, nothing more. Point I'm trying to make is that people DON'T swing wide, they go right by you. I did kind of laugh after reading your disected response though, "I do sound like a whiner...waahh" lol, but I'm not. There is plenty of water to swing way wide if you want to go up river, maybe everyone is so use to this that it doesn't bother them. I think I will take my video camera and try to get some of this on video and post it, in the big scheme of things, it's not that important, it was just a point of discussion, didn't mean to start something.

Stanly you must still be upset about Hillary getting out of the race. Are you sure it wasn't because the wake is making you sea sick?

Default You go it gconk

That's FUNNY RIGHT THERE!!

I agree with you Stanly...if you go burnin' by a boat within 20 feet and you have room to swing wider, well, you need an azz whoopin........
    pull my finger....

No matter wake zone or not, you are responsible for your wake.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I think I will take my video camera and try to get some of this on video and post it, in the big scheme of things, it's not that important, it was just a point of discussion, didn't mean to start something.

Who knows you might catch tjm in that video. Problem is this is no isolated instance, also happens in Pony Cove and anywhere fishing is in progress. Not having to worry about getting swamped or thrown around in your own boat by someone wake is important!!! They drive their cars the same and we all stop at the red light together.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    Who knows you might catch tjm in that video.
    i assure you that you won't.....you must have trouble reading my previous posts....I apologize if I wasn't clear ...shall I try to use smaller words?........because I'd be happy to help you get my point....remember courtesy should go both ways....
    pull my finger....

Default Just

Take their boat number and turn the in to the USCG Marine Safety Office. They are responsable for their wake and any damage to anyone elses.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Huh?

tjm,
    Don't think he meant it personally, but let me pose a question. First I couldn't agree more that courtesy goes both ways, BUT, if I'm anchored up and minding my own business just casting and trying to catch a fish, what courtesy do I owe you in your boat coming by my boat? In the case I'm presenting the onus is on the person in the oncoming boat, I'm just fishing. One of the guys who was in my boat came by my office today and I asked him how close he thought people were coming by us that night and he replied 10 Yds. I didn't tell him about this post, so he had no idea why I asked. Now again to be clear, I'm not saying they were going 30mph, but they are going pretty fast. Most don't usually pull back until they hit the cluster of boats, all those fishing prior to that get swamped. There are also those who swing over to the other side, but not many. Maybe some of them were 50 feet, so what, we're taking large wake after wake after wake. It just gets real old.

if I'm anchored up and minding my own business just casting and trying to catch a fish, what courtesy do I owe you in your boat coming by my boat?
    you can't expect everyone to come off step for you just because your fishing there....that would be nuts....I'd be dropping off step 10 times just to get past the wier...you can expect other boats to pass you safely...that doesn't mean zero wake hits your boat....

looks like Skinny isn't the only one that quickly forgets what he reads......let me quote myself because I think we are on the same page....

"if you go burnin' by a boat within 20 feet and you have room to swing wider, well, you need an azz whoopin........"

I think we all have a little room to be a little more courteous.....I do my best to not bother anyone...in fact I go out of my way......I don't think a guy needs to come off step for every boat fishing the Deshka though....if you anchor up in an area that is not a no wake zone, you're gonna get a little wake....that is totally different than a guy creating a dangerous situation by rolling by you 20' away....that's nuts...perhaps we're saying the same thing.......
    pull my finger....

Default you wouldn't like the Kenai

guides cruising on step with 5 people, making large wakes, going between drifting or anchored boats, maybe clear you by 10' if that. and thats every couple minutes if your lucky. all day long.
    Marine forecast for Kenai during guide days: wind - calm, seas - 4'.............no tears from me for Deshka crowd.

If I come zipping around a corner on step, and I see someone fishing there allot of time I actually speed up. With my boat anyway it seems like when I slow down the wake gets bigger. If you have time to slow way down before passing the other boat then thats different.

Unhappy I feel your pain

Stanly,

I understand what you are saying and maybe the "no wake zone" needs to be extended down to the mouth.

Because of the bad attitude of some folks and some guides that believe they own the river, I simply don't fish the Deshka anymore. (Well I catch at least two kings each year there real early in the season before the crowds)

I go to Lake Creek and then head to PWS where there is lots of room and lots more fish. No crowds.

The Deshka has just become the "Northern Russian River!"

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast