Thread: Russian River sanctuary...

Default Russian River sanctuary...

I'm a bit confused...in the past, the sanctuary would (generally) open a week / few weeks after the main portion of the Russian River would open. Now, I see in the regs manual, that the sanctuary won't open until July 15th. Has this always been the case, or am I just loosing it? (I could have sworn the sanctuary opened shortly after the main opener.)

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/regulations/southcentral/SCkenai.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by JimJimmers View Post
    I'm a bit confused...in the past, the sanctuary would (generally) open a week / few weeks after the main portion of the Russian River would open. Now, I see in the regs manual, that the sanctuary won't open until July 15th. Has this always been the case, or am I just loosing it? (I could have sworn the sanctuary opened shortly after the main opener.)

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/regulations/southcentral/SCkenai.pdf
    It's always been July 15th. ADFG only opens up the sanctuary earlier when they reach their escapement upriver.

I guess I am losing it. : )

Since early-run Russian River sockeye tend to hold in the sanctuary before they ascend into the Russian River, the sanctuary is closed until the department can project that the escapement goal will be achieved. The opening date in regulation is July 15, which is for late-run fish that don't exhibit the tendency to hold in this area before moving into the Russian River. The sanctuary area has been opened by emergency order prior to the July 15 regulatory opener every year since at least 1998. Here are the dates it has been opened early during those years:

6/20/98
    6/20/99
    6/27/00
    6/16/01
    6/15/02
    6/21/03
    6/18/04
    6/17/05
    6/21/06
    6/18/07

Ahh....that makes sense now.

I wasn't losing it after all. : )