Thread: Creek fishing near Anchorage

Default Creek fishing near Anchorage

Hey everyone! I am moving to Anchorage soon from northern Wyoming. I was wondering what kind of creek/stream fishing there is located near Anchorage. I usually enjoy fishing small rivers and streams (small enough to wade across during most of the year) with my fly rod and my dog. I don't mind driving a little bit (under an hour) and I don't mind hiking a little bit. Is there good creek/stream fishing located close to Anchorage without any crowding? (Living in Wyoming, I usually get mad when another fisherman decides to cast right next to me.)

Thanks for your time in advance!

Default willow

willow/ little sue/ quartz creek
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Within 1 hours drive? Depends on how fast you drive. You would have to drive pretty fast to make it to willow the little su or Quarts creek in an hour.
    There are several creeks in anchorage and within an hours drive. and you can catch trout out of them without much of a croud, but if it is salmon you are looking for then you will have to drive further then 1 hour to find solitude

I use to catch trout in Campbell Creek that runs through the heart of Anchorage a long time ago. Additionally I heard Upper Ship Creek has trout but I have never fished it. I would check regulations as different stretched of these creeks/streams may be closed. Also when you move here go talk to the local fly fishing shops. I am sure they will be willing to give you some great insight.

Just FYI, both Campbell & Chester Creeks in Anchorage is catch & release only. An Emergency Order was issued not long ago due to the creeks not being stocked this year.