Thread: HELP me find halibut out of whittier

Default HELP me find halibut out of whittier

Anyone have any advice for getting halibut out of whittier. Was thinking about dropping a couple pots and trying to get into some butts while we let em' soak.

Every time we have tried we can't seem to find the halibut. We try to find structure in about 200' but it never seems to produce any fish....ever !! Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks, Jeff

Your looking for the right thing. Everything is late this year for some reason and the normal spots I hit still haven't produced.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Jeff by "ever" do you mean this season or have you been trying other years also?
    I am sure you know the basics- look for humps and dropoffs in rocky bottom areas, etc.
    I do not have a lot of fishing experience over there but one thing that seems to help is to use one of the underwater flashy lights on your terminal tackle.
    Other guys swear by a chum bag attached to the anchor line also.
    I plan to use a noise maker device this year too- heard about one guy that attached a couple old kitchen spoons to the line so the would rattle together when jigged.
    Using sight scent and sound has to help when the fish just aren't as thick as they are say out of Homer.

I can PM you some spots that worked for us in the past-

Looking at the online nautical charts sailvector.com there is some great looking structure on the W. side of Naked Island that I want to check out.....
    Hopfully others will chime in soon- SierraHotel is one I know of on the forum that has helped me before. HH

I haven't had much success on halibut out of whittier. Not sure if there just aren't that many halibut in the sound, or I was just targeting them incorrectly. From the research I've done I'd say expect the run quite a ways out to get on them consistantly, i.e you may have to run 60-80 miles out, and 40-50 miles at a minimum. Expect to get them in deeper water, don't be afraid to fish in 60-100 fathoms of water. Most of sound is very deep.

Exclamation Research

Great link for the nautical charts; those are a premium priced item and it helps for planning which is key to any new venture; fishing, hunting or otherwise.

Halibut are a bit of a mystery but there are some known's about them;

They migrate from deeper waters to shallower to spawn, the younger halibut will stick around in shallower waters to feed and grow larger, they like sandy/kelpy structure as these areas hold a healthy amount of food.

I'd try around the Coghill entrance and other areas where there might be salmon spawning by mid July. Possibly (just a guess) the areas where there are the hatcheries might hold some 'but. They could be feeding on the other bio's that eat the waste and extra food generated by feeding them. There should be some shrimp, crabs, pollock and other fish buzzing around the hatchery areas and those are all tasty halibut morsels. I have an untested theory that post salmon spawning; halibut concentrate around ocean currents that keep a flow of salmon carcasses and waste in relative patterns; just a theory though - don't have a boat or the time to test it.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I like this site better for nautical charts. It's the same material, but you can zoom in...

http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/OnLineVi...iewerTable.htm

Find the food source and this will also help.. Find a river, creek or bay with salmon in it. The just back out and find the first drop off. Usally halibut will hang out there and and wait for the salmon(dead) to wash down to them
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Your looking for the right thing. Everything is late this year for some reason and the normal spots I hit still haven't produced.
    I agree everything is for sure late this year. I've been fishing whittier for 10+yrs. and all my normal spots we are sitting for atleast 6-8hrs before getting any bites and there are just 10#rs. when they are in it takes less than an hour