Thread: Kicker Motor ?s

Default Kicker Motor ?s

I am looking at adding a kicker motor to my 1860 Alweld. It came with a Fulton adjustable kicker motor bracket. My question is 15"/20"/25" shaft or w/ adjustable bracket does it matter? What size motor and 2 or 4 stroke. What brand. I will be using for trolling and back up if big motor goes down. I will be using in both fresh and salt water. I was thinking about a 15hp only for putting on a small (14 or 16ft) boat to use in lakes rivers (4 stroke plus would be I could run Kenai?). Any and all help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Tim

If you're also going to use it on a john boat or inflatable, you'll have to choose an apropriate shaft length, which is typically a short (15") shaft. As to two or 4 stroke, there are pros and cons of each. The 4s burns straight gas, so is easily fed from your main tank. The down side is they are heavier, and you have to be careful how you lay them down as you can have the oil in the crankcase spill out of the breather.

Up side of 2 strokes (they'll be used) is that you can get an 8 horse that weighs a tad under 60 #'s, and the lightest 15's run about 80 #'s (the lightest 9.9 4s is 80#'s, the 15's are about 120 #'s). That makes them friendly to put on a small boat. The downside is you'll need a dedicated tank running pre-mix fuel/oil.

I think you'll be hardpressed to run up many rivers with even a 15 horse, unless you are going solo in a light boat. You don't need much power in a kicker, you'll never get on plane and typically a 10 horse will push you just as fast as a 15 unless you have a really big boat.

Here is an idea to get the best shaft lenght, mark the water height on the transom with the boat at rest in the water, as Paul said you will never be on step w/ the kicker. The top of the cavitation plate on the kicker should be close to that mark, probably a little lower ok, too high and will cavitate or suck air. Then you can play around with your kicker bracket height to find the best kicker lenght, you might find you can use a 15" but a longer shaft might raise the powerhead and make it easier to get at the motor controls.........

You mentioned running it on the Kenai... If you go with a 2 stroke kicker you won't be able to run it in July or anytime after 2012 (i think...). Also, the max horsepower on the Kenai is 50 hp (if its 4 stroke or DFI 2 stroke) and that is a TOTAL of all motors on the boat. If you have a 50 hp main and a 10 hp kicker, that would be illegal.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Default Kicker size

Sounds like you have it planned out good as far as using the kicker as backup and for a 14 to 16 foot jon boat. I would do the measurements as stated to make sure your adjusting kicker bracket will be within tolerances needed for you to put the 15" shaft kicker on you larger boat. If it fits then id say stick with the 15" or 20" shaft size to benifit the jon boat better. Good luck and hope this answers your question.

I've got a short shaft (15 inch) merc 9.9 s stroke on a fulton bracket on my 18 ft lund. The bracket is fully adjustable to get it down to where it needs to be, a longer shaft would just leave the powerhead higher, so either would work. I'd pick the one that fits the other boat you want to put it on and the "adjustable" bracket will take care of the rest. A really nice aspect of the Merc 9.9 that I have is that it shifts on the throttle...one way is reverse...the other way is forward, so i can put a handle extension on it and backtroll with complete control without having to stoop over to shift into neutral, reverse etc.