Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chum salmon good to eat?

Default Chum salmon good to eat?

I'm bringing my young son to Ketchikan on July 20 for our first father/son Alaska fishing trip. I have learned from many of you (thanks for replying to my original post!!!) that we might be a tad too early for silver salmon, but, should have some luck with chum salmon. I got a kick out of the earlier responses to another poster on his question about silvers, so, here goes:

Are chum salmon good to eat?

With the limit for kings being 48" and the silvers arriving a bit later, chums might be my best bet for returning to Hawaii with something for the grill (or smoker). So, I'm hoping the name chum (or dog) has nothing to do with the taste.

Tight lines to all ... Aloha, Scott

PS: I visit this site almost daily and love reading about all there is to do on the water in Alaska. I'm hooked. I don't know exactly where all these places are that I read about, but, I sure love reading the posts. I hope to thank all of you by posting some pics in late July of my 11-yr-old with his trophy halibut or salmon.

They call it dog salmon for a reason, used to be used by Alaskan natives to feed their sled dogs. Doesn't taste good, very mushy-

If you get a dime bright ocean one however, try smoking it- ocean fresh chums are still suppost to be pretty good when smoked.

They don't seem to freeze well, at all.

However a shiny bright Chum cooked up fresh is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
    They don't seem to freeze well, at all.

However a shiny bright Chum cooked up fresh is pretty good.
    They are excellent table fare while they still look like this:

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    They are excellent table fare while they still look like this:
    I will eat them too when they are fresh like those.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

go to the store and buy some "silverbrite" or "keta" salmon see if you like it.... I assume someone eats them because gillnetters still get like $.35/lb
    for em... Ocean pinks are really good too.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Personaly i think it called dog salmon for a reason. the native folks feed it to thier dogs. Just my .02

a couple of months ago my wife picked up some "alaska wild salmon" from the grocery store. (it was during a period of bad ice here so no fresh fish).
    I read the label, and it said that it was chum salmon, usually it's sockeye and pretty good.
    I thought "sheesh, this is gonna be horrible" based on what i had heard about chum salmon. well let me tell you, they must have done something right when they processed it! it was some of the best frozen salmon i have had. i cooked it on the grill on a maple plank, (i cut the plank from a piece of firewood) i dunno if it always that good, but this was excellent!

Default Chums

I'd rather kiss my sister.

Default Just like all slamon

If cought in the salt I bet it would be fine to eat,

No one like pinks but if caught fresh in salt and taken care of they smoke up great!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I'll eat chums.
    They are the most underrated salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by TightLinesHI View Post
    I'm bringing my young son to Ketchikan on July 20 for our first father/son Alaska fishing trip. I have learned from many of you (thanks for replying to my original post!!!) that we might be a tad too early for silver salmon, but, should have some luck with chum salmon. I got a kick out of the earlier responses to another poster on his question about silvers, so, here goes:

Are chum salmon good to eat?

With the limit for kings being 48" and the silvers arriving a bit later, chums might be my best bet for returning to Hawaii with something for the grill (or smoker). So, I'm hoping the name chum (or dog) has nothing to do with the taste.

Tight lines to all ... Aloha, Scott

PS: I visit this site almost daily and love reading about all there is to do on the water in Alaska. I'm hooked. I don't know exactly where all these places are that I read about, but, I sure love reading the posts. I hope to thank all of you by posting some pics in late July of my 11-yr-old with his trophy halibut or salmon.

If I remember right, you'll be fishing out of Yes Bay? Just a note for you on that area--the record chum was caught around the Yes Bay area by a friend of mine. I believe it was over 37 lbs. so be prepared, and have fun.

In the Ocean they are ok...

Once they touched fresh water I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.
    Alaskan Bowhunters Association
    President
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK 99502

Thumbs up Very tastey

Get one while it's still silver (chromer), fillet out ALL bones, cut into 4 inch strips, and dip in beer/tempura batter and fry. You will be surprisingly pleased! Tastes great!! Just don't try this with a striped dog...ewwww!

Default too harsh

You guys are too harsh in your judgement. I gues we are all really spoiled. Don't get me wrong it doesn't compare with sockey king or silver, but they are still better then they get credit for. As long as the meat is still firm and orange in color they are great on the grill. And excellant smoked. Alot depends on the river system they are going to spawn in. If they are planning a long swim then like all salmon they are much higher in fat content, ie yukon river fish. Most times this requires ocean caught chum, but I have caught chum still dime bright in both the susitna, and kenai ( yes I know there are not many, but I know my salmon, and there are a few every year ) rivers as well. They are very good, as long as fresh and treated well, especially on the grill. Do not be swayed into thinking they are garbage, as they are not. We are just so spoiled up here that we tend to be kind of picky. It's like comparing a fillet mignon to a eye of round steak. It is still steak and still tasty just not as good as the fillet, and requires a little more effort. Just my .02 take it for what is worth or ignore it, your choice but I have fished commercial, sport and personal all over the state and eaten salmon in just about every form known to man. I would take a fairly fresh chum over no salmon any day of the week, and twice a week if I could. My family eats salmon three meals a week, and still cheer and drool every time i cook it. Chum has its place and it does not have to be in the dogs bowl.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by akfishfool View Post
    You guys are too harsh in your judgement. I gues we are all really spoiled.....
    Yup. When the filet mignon is available, why eat fast food burger meat?

Fresh out of the salt water and smoked, chum salmon is okay at best.

Some people don't like any type of salmon, some people will eat anything, and most folks are in the middle.

My preference is chinook, sockeye, coho down the list a bit (but I love catching them). I don't mind fresh pinks when caught in the salt and cooked that day. My wife has said don't bother brining them home as she doesn't like them.

I think your son would be really disapointed not to eat some of the fish he caught. I wouldn't fillet, freeze and ship a large amount of pinks, but cooking one up on a bbq in the evening after a day of fishing is something your son will be talking about for years. They just don't freeze well and will be lackluster on the grill or bbq. I've found poaching does wonder for many lackluster fish, but there is only so much that can be done.

Bring home as much halibut as you can.

For some one from Hawaii Chum salmon might be more of a treat then Halibut.

Chum are vastly underrated fare. They are far less oily than other salmon, and, if fresh, are very good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast