Thread: Getting a youngster a bear!

Default Getting a youngster a bear!

Just thought I would take a moment and see if any of you might have a situation that might work out. I have a 9 year old daughter that hasnít stopped talking about taking a black bear for some time now. Sheís even planned to take one claw and make a necklace for herself. As we rapidly approach the end of the baiting season I wondered if any of you might have a small black bear wondering around a bait station she might have a shot at. Sheís certainly not picky. It would be her first big game animal. Of coarse I would be there to take care of it and get it sealed. She shoots a 7 X 30 Waters in a contender with the short stock and she is deadly with it. I have an extra tree stand and we both have safety harnesses. We have a tentative date on the 14th but itís contingent on a few things and I didnít think it would hurt to ask around a bit to increase our chances. Thanks for your time! Feel free to contact me by private message.

Default Season

Unfortunately the season in Unit 6D ends today. You probably need a unit that is open all year.

If it was earlier in the year it would have been fun to do.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default pm

morning
    I sent you a pm

Ya know - she'd probably get a whole lot more out of hunting bears if you bypassed this year, took her to a baiting class, got your certificate, and had her help you set up a bait site and keep it maintained etc.

Running a bait is a heckuva lot of work not to mention the cost - harvesting the bears is a tiny fraction of the whole process - think of how much she would get out of it if she took ownshership from A to Z. In the end you'd probably have a better hunting partner because of it.

Default + cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Ya know - she'd probably get a whole lot more out of hunting bears if you bypassed this year, took her to a baiting class, got your certificate, and had her help you set up a bait site and keep it maintained etc.

Running a bait is a heckuva lot of work not to mention the cost - harvesting the bears is a tiny fraction of the whole process - think of how much she would get out of it if she took ownshership from A to Z. In the end you'd probably have a better hunting partner because of it.

Yep, great points.

That bear would really be earned rather than gifted...daughter would really get the whole experience to cherish for a lifetime.

Powered, hey, be thankful you even got a reply. Ive been trying the same for a few days, but the guys have a good point. Jim and I are going to have a "kids" bait set up next year just for this reason. Anyone that wants to get in on it, and help us maintain it is welcome.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Jim and I are going to have a "kids" bait set up next year just for this reason. Anyone that wants to get in on it, and help us maintain it is welcome.
    I may do the same thing next year. Perhaps if we get two of them going in different areas we can share sites if one is productive and the other one not. My nephew will be 10 next year, and after taking his Hunter Ed course this next winter I want to get him out more and more.

Awesome idea Brian! We'll be happy to help sponsor one, get it set up etc. But depending on Jim's schedule we may need help maintaining it. I have my Baiting card so I can also assist when he's not here.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

It's a long way off yet, but from my end the issue would likely be getting two more treestands. My brother and his friends had a great site that would produce many bears year after year, but they let it go this year because two of them built cabins on the Yetna and are now baiting up there. I'm welcome to move into their site, but don't have any stands. I'll buy one (maybe two) if I go through with this, but there are spots for at least three good stands over the bait site. Maybe as the time approaches we could see if anyone would lend one or two for the season.

I think we have two stands here, we can also get them at wholesale if need be. We have a couple of permanent moose stands that we use during moose season, as well.
    I agree, its a long ways off, but if there are similar folks in this predicament maybe it would be beneficial for a few of us to do something like this.
    I got my first bear a few years ago, and there is nothing like seeing the look on a kids face when they take their first big game animal, I can only imagine how it feels at that age. It took me 38 years!

Default Youngsters!

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Thanks for the offer Dave. I had given consideration to the same thoughts and almost didnít post because of it. That being said I do have my baiting certificate and baited for many years out of Houston and down on the Kenia. Over the yearís lots of friends and visitors, both in and out of state, shot bears off those baits. I very much understand what it takes to bait, the time and effort including rounding up the bait. I think she would very much enjoy setting up a bait or more so spot and stalking one. She is small and even though she just moments ago made it to the top of flattop with little effort, taking a bear on the Kenia spot and stalk from the road system would be a challenge. I didnít say impossible but definitely a challenge. The thing of it is Iím sure sheíll just want to shoot a bigger one next year bait or not. No worries if it doesnít work out just though maybe someone wouldnít mind.

Phil in Anchorage