Thread: electric motor help

Default electric motor help

What do I need in terms of motor and battery for a scanoe and a days worth of trolling?

Probably have 2 people in the canoe most of the time. I mostly troll so endurance is paramount.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    What do I need in terms of motor and battery for a scanoe and a days worth of trolling?

Probably have 2 people in the canoe most of the time. I mostly troll so endurance is paramount.
    you can also check with www.kck.org (knik canoers and kayakers)

Okay, in case some one is doing research on the subject....

I went ahead and got a Minn Kota endura 30lb thrust. I originally wanted a 40 or 50 lb thruster but the size of those motors and the cost were pretty large. The little tidbits I found on the net suggested that a 30 would be plenty.

I also bought a huge deep cycle marine battery. Its an Alaska gold battery. Im not sure what its rated for. It weighs 50lbs or more I bet. It costs as much as the motor too.

Anyway.I probably put 10 hours of troll on it with some bursts of high speed running without running out of juice. Im not sure how much I have left of the battery. Speed 1 was just about perfect for trolling, I almost wished it would go slower. Speed 5, the highest, gets the canoe going and a nifty little clip. Even with two guys in the canoe. the other speeds were pretty useless.

Anyway, even if where you fish doesnt require electrics they are nice. No gas, no noise, no starting, no sputtering, in short they are the way to troll a boat.

I did rig up another mount though so I can have that electric on the side and my 3 horse on the back for runs across bigger lakes.