Thread: Any experience fishing Indian Creek in Sustina Drainage

Default Any experience fishing Indian Creek in Sustina Drainage

I am planning to be back in Alaska to meet up with some friends to go fishing in early August. We had planned on taking the Alaska Rail Road up near Talkeetna and taking advantage of the Whistle Stop service and get dropped off by Indian Creek. I have heard good things about this creek and wanted to know if you had any experience in this area. I will be bringing up (from Seattle) my usual assortment of Alaska flies (flesh, egg, and streamer patterns) but I thought I seek the wisdom of the forum for your experience.

Thank You.

Bring a gun, TONS of bears. No I mean it, TONS of bears. I have a buddy with a cabin up there and we went in to do a little moose hunting and it was crazy with blackies. Good place to look for moose antlers(sheds) too. Oh yeah, GREAT rainbow and silver fishing. We were there Sept 1-10th. Good luck and make lots of noise!!!

It is one of the best areas you could have selected. Rainbows are the real draw for the area, as the Salmon are a bit used up, by the time they make it that far inland. But they are there and suitable for eating, just not the best. Hit the shaded areas along the creek and fish working your way upstream as that is the best way I have found to be most successful. Working down, always spooks the fish more often. Have fun, that is a great place.

I'm packing to head to the Indian River tomorrow morning. I will let you know how the fishing was on Monday.

We went last year in August and the silvers were running and there were still a few kings and reds left in the river. We were targeting the rainbows but hooked a bunch of silvers in the process.

Egg pattern fly's are the mainstay for catching the rainbows this time of year. I caught my biggest rainbow ever in the Indian River with a small black and yellow Mepp's but I have more fun catching them with my fly rod.

You can camp right down from the railroad bridge so you can bring as much stuff as you want with you. My first trip I only had a backpack, but this time we are bringing a lot more gear and staying longer. Nothing beat a batch of warm brownies out of the dutch oven after fishing all day.

Talking Beers beat brownies

[QUOTE=Grayling Slayer;306027]I'm packing to head to the Indian River tomorrow morning. I will let you know how the fishing was on Monday.

We went last year in August and the silvers were running and there were still a few kings and reds left in the river. We were targeting the rainbows but hooked a bunch of silvers in the process.

Egg pattern fly's are the mainstay for catching the rainbows this time of year. I caught my biggest rainbow ever in the Indian River with a small black and yellow Mepp's but I have more fun catching them with my fly rod.

You can camp right down from the railroad bridge so you can bring as much stuff as you want with you. My first trip I only had a backpack, but this time we are bringing a lot more gear and staying longer. Nothing beat a batch of warm brownies out of the dutch oven after fishing all day.

I beg to differ. A cold beer beats a batch of warm brownies after a day of fishing any day of the week

Default cost

what is the cost to get there on the train?

I'm not sure exacltly where Indian Creek is between Talkeetna and Hurricane, but here's a link to the ARR fares. Just scroll down 'til you find Hurricane Turn Train.

http://www.akrr.com/arrc18.html

thanks for the info