Thread: First 220gr Gameking 325wsm handloads down the range whoohoo!

Default First 220gr Gameking 325wsm handloads down the range whoohoo!

Well, life finally slowed down enough for me to get to the range with my first handloads for my 325wsm. Been a long time comin! What fun it is to shoot your own ammo! My Kimber likes these 220gr Gamekings. I loaded them with IMR 4007 SSC, once fired nickel plated winchester brass trimmed, WLRM primers and .023 off the lands. I loaded, 58gr, 60gr and 61.7gr.

Here are the first 5 shots at 100yds. 58gr powder, starting load. Avg mv 2580fps for 5 shots.

At 60gr 3 shot group opened up a little. Still no bad pressure signs.
    (no picture)

I then shot the max loads 61.7gr and after settling down shot this 4 shot group. Avg mv 2738 for 7 shots.

No pressure signs, primers looked good. Extraction at the max loads felt less stiff than factory loaded 200gr Accubonds. The load data says 61.7gr max load is just over 60,000psi. SAAMI specs are 65,000psi max. I'd like to get 2800fps out of these 220's if I can. There is still room for more powder in the case. Would I be a fool to try 62.5gr or 63gr?

I chronied 3 of the factory load 200gr AB's at 2940, 2937, 2918. That's out of my 23" barrel Kimber, chrony about 10 ft from the muzzle. Winchester specs say 2950fps mv. I guess that's pretty darn close.

For any of you 325 owners out there. I spoke with Sierra about the 220 GK's and they were made for the 8mm Mag. They have thicker jackets than most other GameKings, I guess the 338 225's are the same also. With the high BC this should be a great long range moose round.

Anyway, I'm pretty pumped after the way these first rounds grouped for this noobie handloader. Thanks to all of you on this forum for all the knowledge I've gleened over the past year or so.

Now, time to get back to the bench!
    Last edited by Snyd; 12-06-2008 at 10:21.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Great to hear about this. I have not had a chance to reload for mine yet but am looking forward to when I finally do. I am going to start with 200 accubonds and go from there.

I look forward to hearing about your future experiments.

Ya, 200gr Accubonds will be my next load. Up until now that's all I've shot. The factory loads, I still have a box left. They are very accurate as well in my gun.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again