Thread: Flyfishing for Rainbows on the Kenai Peninsula

Question Flyfishing for Rainbows on the Kenai Peninsula

I will be coming up to AK from Texas during the last 2 weeks of July. I plan on fishing for Reds on the Kenai but would also like to catch a few rainbows. I've fished several years in Alaska for Kings and Reds but have never fished for exclusively for Rainbows. Any suggestions on location and/or technique will be greatly appreciated. I've just started fly fishing and will have a 9' 7wt rod. Thanks in advance!!!

Upper Kenai River, Quartz Creek, Russian River

Thanks. I never fished Quartz Creek. I have fished the Russian River. Would you suggest walking up towards the falls? Could you recommend a couple of flies? Thanks a million!

Sent you PM

Middle Kenai, a couple miles above bings right before Skilak has EXCEPTIONAL fishing for rainbows and dollies. I was targeting reds last year drifting down the river and managed to pick up 3 trout (biggest was 27 inches) incidentally on a russian river fly, they are a blast to catch!!

The people that were actually targeting trout were getting hook ups every other minute or so, great fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Middle Kenai, a couple miles above bings right before Skilak has EXCEPTIONAL fishing for rainbows and dollies. I was targeting reds last year drifting down the river and managed to pick up 3 trout (biggest was 27 inches) incidentally on a russian river fly, they are a blast to catch!!

The people that were actually targeting trout were getting hook ups every other minute or so, great fishing.
    That is exactly where I go. Exceptional. Look for the long sandbar and deep channel.

very very few rainbows in quartz creek
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If you would like to try and pickup some decent sized rainbows, the Middle Kenai would be a good option. I would suggest goig out with a guide, you can cover the best water and they have the local knowledge. I have always been happy with D-Ray personal guide service. Good luck.

http://www.d-ray.com/

Default Fish

The Russian were it meets the kenai. Lots of nice rainbows, also about 250 yards or so down stream of that is another slow corner you cant miss it. It's on the far side of the river away from the hiway!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

There is a split-off about 1/4 mile down river where a smaller stream enters the Kenai from the right and a long sand bar along the same side. Can't give an exact name cuz only hit it once but brought in a couple of decent sized rainbows. I walked a bit upstream of the small stream where it again split; kinda like a "Y" and on the right there was a 'lil waterfall of sorts. Nice little pool in there, too!

You from San Angelo or San Antonio, SATX? Orginally from Austin here...

TruBluTex, I was born in Anchorage. My father was stationed at Fort Richardson. I also was in the Army and stationed at Fort Richardson for 5 years in the 80s. I recently retired here in San Antonio. I try to get back to AK every summer to fish. This year I'll be on the Kenai for two weeks and am positive that I'll have more reds than the freezer will hold. A local friend of mine and I thought we'd go after some rainbows. We are both learning to fly fish and had great fun catching white bass this summer using a 5wt at Colarado Bend State Park. Thanks for your reply and for your service to our great nation.

I wonder if you, or others, could tolerate a few more questions? Is the technique for rainbows the same as fishing for reds? What type of flies should I consider?

SATX,

Not sure if they are down your way or not, but see if you can find a store called Half Price Books. They are scattered across NTX, and I'm not sure if they're state wide or not.

Every time I make a trip to the D/FW area, I hit all the HPB stores I can find for fly tying book etc...

I found a book there called Reading Water (I think that was the name) that was basically on the how's, the where's and why's fish hang out where they do on rivers and streams.

I had never given that much thought to where I should be fishing a stream until I got that book. Before the book, I'd just walk up to a spot and start casting, if nothing happened, I moved. Since the book, I scout out location before casting "in the blind."

Not sure if it's made me a better fisherman, but it's nice to have the "gouge" and "think" you're fishing smarter.

Upstream,
    Thanks for the advice. We do have a HPB here is San Antonio. I'll check it out. I have been fortunate enough in the past to fish with experienced fly fishers who enjoy sharing their passion. The Alamo Fly Fishers here in San Antonio has a great group of such individuals. http://www.alamoflyfishers.org/. I hope to introduce this group to Alaska over the next few years.

FISH ON!!!

SATX

Quote Originally Posted by SATX View Post
    Upstream,
    Thanks for the advice. We do have a HPB here is San Antonio. I'll check it out. I have been fortunate enough in the past to fish with experienced fly fishers who enjoy sharing their passion. The Alamo Fly Fishers here in San Antonio has a great group of such individuals. http://www.alamoflyfishers.org/. I hope to introduce this group to Alaska over the next few years.

FISH ON!!!

SATX
    Yep, was in the Fort Worth Fly Fishers at one time. Another good group of individuals.

FWFF had three distinctive groups within the club, fly fishers interested in fishing for bass, fly fishers interested in chasing reds in the flats, and fly fishers with the misfortune of being passionate about fly fishing for trout; without much in the way of trout located within a reasonable distance to fish for (other than the occasional F&G releases at PK).

I look at the pictures of 'bows I caught in SE Oklahoma at Broken Bow (which were good sized for the area), and they almost look like fingerings here in AK.