Thread: its not the old Burris

Default its not the old Burris

Hi All, Just got off the phone with Burris and they are the old company they were. I had a problem with a Fullfield II not holding zero and shot 80 rounds of 375 H&H thinking it was something else, rings. etc. I spent over $300.00 playing with it. Finially sent it back and they refused to up grade the scope or even sell me a better scope and take this one back. I told them I wouldn't put a Phillipine made scope back on my gun and carry it for dangerious game. All the supervisor said was sorry I've done all I can and we can't sell you a better scope because of agreements with our customers. I told him I used to be one, now I'm a Leupold customer. To there credit they were very nice to talk to. For what its worth , just another big company.

Default wow

that sucks, I wonder if Pentax knows about it, they own Burris. might give them a call, Pentax scopes are suppossed to be better anyhow and their customer service might also be better. I was actually considering telling a friend to buy a Burris as I've heard good things about them, but with your info, I'll steer him to a Nikon or Leopould.

I doubt that 375 H&H recoil was intended when they designed that scope. I imagine it held up as well as any scope in that price range. Get yourself a 1.5-5 VXIII or VXII 1-4 or 2-7 and don't look back, they handle recoil much better than the FFII. The FFII is a decent scope for the money and for use on mild kickers, I have had several and used them until I upgraded to better glass. I'm running a 3-9x40 ziess on my 375 and really like it for an all around scope, its also hard to beat the 2-7 and 3-9 VXII for value and durablilty.

Don't overlook Leupolds VX-lll 1.75-6X. I think it's a great scope for .375's and such. I put one on a lever gun I use in heavy cover and I really like it.

Woody

Default woody

How is the 32mm Vs. the 40mm scope when hunting? I've always had 40's and I think the one you pointed out is a 32. I like the idea of the 1.75x7 or so I've used the low power on another gun and like it. Tom

Mark

I had a Burris Scout scope that went out. It darned near became a disaster (caribou shot in the jaw that got away; luckily I was able to sneak up to within 15 yards of it the next day to bag him). Turned out the scope was shooting 7" to the left at 50 yards! I couldn't adjust it back, so removed it, packaged it up, and it sat on my workbench for over two years. I finally sent it off to Burris early this past winter.

I got a new Scout scope back in the mail a few months ago, no questions asked.

Default 1.75 X 6

I used the Leop. 1.75 X 6 in Afirica to take a Lepord at 2 AM. The PH had a 6 cell Mag Light he turned on the cat. The sight picture was clear and sharp set at 3 X for the 40 yard shot. The 210 NP from my 338 jellied the lungs and heart. No problem with the 32 MM Obj.

Default going to try the 32mm

Thanks guys, I think I'll try the 32mm Leupold, Mark I agree that the people at Burris were nice and they did send me a new scope, but I don't trust it as what happened to you as point in case. OK for non-dangerious but in Alaska you can go from Bou to Bear in a blink!

I knew for a long time that Burris was junk. Get a Leupold.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    .....Mark I agree that the people at Burris were nice and they did send me a new scope, but I don't trust it as what happened to you as point in case. OK for non-dangerious but in Alaska you can go from Bou to Bear in a blink!
    My fault, really. Before we went on the hunt my friend asked me if I'd sighted in my rifle.

"Nope"...........

Now, at the beginning of each season, all my hunting rifles get test fired........

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Thanks guys, I think I'll try the 32mm Leupold, Mark I agree that the people at Burris were nice and they did send me a new scope, but I don't trust it as what happened to you as point in case. OK for non-dangerious but in Alaska you can go from Bou to Bear in a blink!
    You'll like the 32mm objective Leupold scopes. Besides the 1.75-6X Leupold I also have the 2.5-8X on my 338 WM and I feel it's about the perfect "hunting rifle" scope.

Woody