Thread: 62 Days Til Sheep Season!!!

Thumbs up 62 Days Til Sheep Season!!!

Took the opportunity to go scout the DCUA this past weekend in anticipation for our up coming hunt(Son and I). All I have to say is, "You can definately tell it is a Permit Area"!!! OMG!!! I mean there are Sheep every where you look back in there! I dont know how much they will move around between now and August, but I have to say that things look good now! We scouted several areas, sheep on every plateau, seen well over 100 sheep. 12 Full Curls, and we stopped counting when we hit 20 - 3/4 to 7/8 rams as we lost track. I mean it was unbelievable compared to other places I've been. The Ram to ewe percentage just has to be awsome based on what I seen in just two days. Since we were in there so far, we established the location of our proposed base camp, took in the sights, then enjoyed the long trek back out the next day. Was hoping to see a bear in the midst, but no such luck. Lots of tracks though. Good luck to all others who got lucky and drew permits this year also!

P.S. If you think your in sheep shape already, I would do a test run somewhere!!!(with all your equipment) I will be tayloring my work out and packing list a bit based on my experiences this past week end. Didnt do to bad, but already know I will want different boots! Take care..........
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Eagle River, AK

Glad to hear that you got out and had a good weekend scouting. So many hunters don't take the opportunity to do so during the summer, but it makes such a difference in success rates. As for me, my sheep hunt doesn't start until October 1st, and I won't be in the mountains until the 3rd or 4th, so I've got over 100 days to go yet. I'll be living vicariously through you and others as you head afield in August and return with stories (and hopefully heavy packs!) Good luck!

Default Scouting

Getting ready to fly over the Brooks at the end of the month to check out some dainages myself, weather outlook should be good.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Sheep shape...

Good to hear you and your son should have some opportunities in a much coveted area. I hope you both are successful in harvesting rams.

I know what you mean about getting into shape. I completely ruptured my ACL and tore my miniscus in my right knee in the middle of February playing indoor soccer. Surgery at the end of Feb, and rigorous PT until I was released about a week ago. I have 8 weeks to run, bike, hike and lift myself back into shape enough to do my usual walk-in hunt. Plus I was drawn for one of 12 goat tags north of the Knik Glacier...needless to say I have some work to do....

Good luck- can't wait to hear of your success!

Palmer, AK

Glad that someone is getting out! I just got the wife a new pack to accompany me on a quick trip into my Chugach permit area the end of the month. She won't be able to go for the 10 day hunt in Sept but I hope that she will be more comfortable with me going solo if she has at least been up there and seen the country.