Thread: REPORT - Clams & Homer Lagoon June 7-8th

Default REPORT - Clams & Homer Lagoon June 7-8th

Hi all,

I just had and exhausting but fun weekend with the woman again.

On friday I asked where I should go clamming. I was expecting to stay close to home because I was planning a trip with Jeff (akfun) out of Whittier sunday. I posted it pretty late so I didnt get a reply until I checked the next morning around 6am.

Matt (Meat Purveyor) told me to go the mouth of Ninilchik. Always trust the cook. So, Rose and I headed down to Ninilchik to try our luck.
    Man did we have fun!!! I never knew how fun clamming can be. At firs we kept smashing the shells. We didnt really understand the the shovel was only to dig the firs hole. After we figured out how to do it, we starting getting nice whole ones. Man, I cannot explain how happy I was to be able to blow my nose on my sleeve, have mud on my face, hat, sunglasses...even mud on my lips!! and have people not even notice. What a fun adventure. No wonder kids are always dirty! Its the only way to party! HA!

The first pic is me convincing Rose that these clams are AWESOME raw!! HAHAAHAHAHAHAH
    I told her right before she bit in! She would have been mad!
    The second is our "small" catch. I cannot imagine a limit!

Continued part 2...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Default Part 2

After clamming, we were tired but in great spirits. I couldn't believe how much Rose enjoyed it, so I decided to say we should go to Homer.

"Sure, lets go" she said. Alright!

So we start driving to Homer, and all I know about Homer is that there is a lagoon, a spit, and there are Halibut. Nothing else.

First thing first, I say to myself: "If Im going to convince Rose to stay here for a while, I gotta make sure she catches fish"
    So a rig up our trout rods with some 'gulp' squid and we head off to the tip of the spit.

7 seconds after her first cast....SUCCESS!
    This went on and on. We spent a good 2 hours there. There were tons of people fishing, walking around etc. We had great time taking in the fresh air, the liveliness of the place the sounds, smells...Its really a great place to visit.

At around 7:30pm, I decided its time. It was time for me to chase the King again. Rose warned me, she said: "He's tough! He's elusive! So if you dont find him, I dont want you to get down on yourself!"

No problem, no problem...

I started fishing around 7:40pm at that Nicky Dudiak Lagoon Spit Hole Pond place. I cast and I cast. I looked at other peoples lures, their retrieve, their cast, everything...still no King.
    I saw about 3-4 Hook ups and landings, and that kept me there. I even saw 2 big ones come right close to shore, only to swim off before I could cast to them.

5 hours later, not even a break to sit down...

No king

Continued part 3

Default Part 3

At about 1am, Rose said to me: "Dont worry! You'll catch your king. For now, just realize you had a chance to fish for 5 hours in Alaska!"

true true. I didnt worry.

Now, this next moment made me happy I had a woman like Rose. She said that instead of heading back to Anchorage, we could just sleep in the car a bit, and that I can try again in a few hours when Im not so sleepy.

YES!!!!

So we drive to the Safeway, park the car, and fall asleep for a few hours. I kept dreaming of those 2 kings that came so close to me: "hey Jonathan! You're NEVER gonna catch us!"

I woke up, drove to the spit, and said: "It may take another 5,6,10, 12 hours I dont care. I will figure out how to make these fish so angry they will have to snatch my vibrax!!"

At about 5:30am, I start casting, but I feel negative. My energy is low. I keep telling myself its cold. Its raining a bit. There is no one here, maybe there are no fish etc. When I realise what Im doing, I stop myself.

Im gonna catch. Im gonna catch. Im gonna catch.

As Im repeating this to myself, I see a school of 10 fish swim at my feet!! OH MY $#(@_$@%(&(_@#$ GOD!!!!!!!

I choke! I try to cast to them and get tangled up! ARRRGGH!!!!!

Calm down, they'll be back.

Sure enough, 10 minutes later, THERE THEY ARE! This time Im ready. I cast... In that split second I remember someones advice on the forum: "sssllllooowwww"

So I retrieve slowly. HOOK UP!! OH YEAH!!!

Lost the fish...

Now my mind is running. My eyes are WIDE open!!! You know when you are so concentrated on your fishing, you almost forget where you are? Thats what happened to me. I take my sunglasses off, reel in, look around me to see if anybody saw my hook up...3 guys around, and no one cares. Well, I DO!! Im gonna catch today!!

Now, Ive got it sort of figured out. They will swim close by, no need for a world record cast, get the lure low, let it spin in their face and they'll get mad, take your time etc etc etc.

Im fish meditating.

The school shows up again, but this time swimming from the other side. No worries, my mind is sharp my hand is steady. Small lob cast, slow retrieve... nibble on my lure, SOLID hook set!!

FISH ON!!! YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

Ive never EVER hooked a fish (other than halibut) this big! Its not huge, its looking like 20lbs at most but for me, a fish that takes more than 15 seconds to land is massive.

So Im fighting and fighting and fighting and this fish jumped 3 times!!! 3 TIMESS!! OH MAN I WAS FREAKING OUT! I was told that kings would not jump unless they are hooked funny, so Im a little worried that its a foul hook!

Keep fighting, 2-3 minutes later, the bad boy is on the rocks!!!

HOURRAY!!! Look for the hook...

Solid in the lip, tip coming out the other side! FAIR GAME!!!

YOOHOOO!!!

Even writing it, Im getting chills!! Man am I happy.

Finally, I slayed my king.

First pic is the scene of the crime and the murder weapon.
    Second, is me and my KING! YEAH!!

The end.

Right on!!!

Man, that just makes my day to hear that you connected. Now let's add a sockeye to your Alaskan collection!

Awesome!!!! Biscuit boy!!!!

And now you need a big dolly and a big Kenai Bow!!!!

That's great!! Good for you. Glad to see someone so excited about their fishing excursions.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

congratulations! Sounds like you had a superb weekend

Default Sweet!

Nice fish, biscuit! I got my first king this year, yesterday, trolling, but it was about trout sized. As far as the clams go, I used a shovel until I borried one of those clam gun thingies! Spoiled for life!
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Default Geez Biscuit...

You got it BAD!!!! Have you escaped somewhere from down south? Maybe one of those big white buildings?
    Ah, I'm just busting your chops and am totally ecstatic for you! Right on man! I know the feeling of chasing those fish at the lagoon; never did catch a king there but caught a silver once; felt really lucky in the midst of all those people!
    Clamming too! You're right, you got a great women to stick it out with you.
    Again, superb! It'll be another month or so till I'm there; can't wait!
    Jim

You da man.

what 's next on the menu?

I got some cod today, never caught them before.

Maybe I'll try the lagoon later this week. All the local rivers will be closed to king fishing after tonight.

Next? I battle the red army in combat zone starting wednesday.
    BrianM and I are gonna hit the russian together. I was EXTREMELY lucky to land a campground thanks to another forum member who could not use the spot.

worst case scenario I get to camp in Alaska and hang out with a cool dude like Brian. OH NO!!!

Default soda congrats on youre first king

Hey Soda man nice king I told ya they were at the spit also I think I said somthing on your post about claming like ninil/deep creek didnt I say it first ......now you have 2 awsome things to eat that king is gona be sweet crome brite.and the clams dont over cook them I like to fry them in garlicbutter for 20 seconds per side mmmm. Go get youre reds and you will be hooked on alaska for life if you arent already..............rose wanted to go buy food.....lol

AWSOME story and congrats on a great fish!

Default He's popped!

Yo!

All of us are having a good time reading about you!

You are on your way to becoming totally certifiable...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    Yo!

All of us are having a good time reading about you!

You are on your way to becoming totally certifiable...

Rosenberg/Florida
    Nah, he was certifiable months ago!!!

Hey! Thanks for that Drifter! Much appreciated.

Hey Bernard aka AlaskanAuthor, do you know why I ended up at that lagoon?

YOUR BOOK!! HA!!!

Thanks man. The left filet is on the UPS truck now.

Default Soda!

Way to go Dude! I'm glad your trip here is going well. Congrates on the trip!

Hopefully see you on the Russian soon!

FrozenMarc

Thumbs up Woo Hoo

Way to go biscut man. Good things come to those who keep trying. Great job and a very very nice fish. Im sure at this time. 6am wednesday you and brian are cracking the mellons on a few reds. Enjoy the russian, explore the area too while your there and I hope to see you down there this weekend.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight