Thread: Burned up water pump!

Default Burned up water pump!

Well I think I toasted one on my 35/40 Yamaha 2 stroke. Had the motor tilted a little to high trying to go thru some really shallow stuff on the lake. It only took under a minute! How hard is this thing to change??

Default Not sure

about your particular model, but none of the outboards or i/o's that I have worked on (not a whole lot) were very hard to get to the WP. Buy a manual for it and it will have a step by step.

Sure the line isn't plugged? I have the same motor, and it just doesn't seem that less then a minute could cause that kind of damage. That is, unless you had it at high RPM.

One of these will make it easier

Try here:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard...d_manuals.aspx

Parts manuals should show you a breakdown of your engine.

Default Easy.. About 2 hr. for intermediate mechanic

Not a problem, and yes, it takes about 15 seconds of dry pump time before it's fried. If you have run in salt water this may be a pain due to corrosion, but if it's all been fresh, the lower unit should come off with no trouble. Buy a water pump repair kit, it comes with the gaskets, the stainless steel impeller housing, the impeller, and a new woodruff key, make sure you replace the woodruff key, it usually pops out fairly easy with a screwdriver and a hammer, just be sure your not digging into the shaft itself. When you install the new water pump, make sure you set the vanes in the proper direction, and I ususally lubricate the rubber impeller with a litte bit of dish soap just so it's not completely dry the first start.
    Chris

Hey thanks guys!! Just picked up the kit from Yamy, only $33.00. Oh and thanks again Mike for the tow last Sat!!