Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Klutina Reds

Default Klutina Reds

Went down to the klutina this past weekend for reds. The river is really low but was slowly on the rise. There are a few fish coming through about another week or so and should be really good. I got there around 230pm on friday had a fish on the stringer within the first 20 minutes I was there. I foul hooked 7 by the bridge and then never caught another fish the rest of weekend. I am headed back down in a couple of weeks fishing should be really good by then.

Default thanks moosehunter

Was just getting on here to ask if anyone went down and had a report, think I'm going to try it this weekend. Appreciate it!
    Cody

Wow. I stopped there Sunday morning on my way to Valdez but just watched for an hour and didn't see any hook ups.
    I'll take some time on my way to Seward tomorrow or the next day and give it a try.
    It was interesting to me because I'm from down below and not used to seeing anyone fish such glacial water and fast too.
    Everyone was just flicking the lures out 20 feet max and bringing it back in.
    That must be the proper technique so that's what I'll try.
    I have an 8 wt fly rod and a Rio versa tip.
    Should I use the fastest sink tip you think and a split shot too?
    Thanks.

Default whatever

it takes to make you tick, tick, tick the bottom is what you will have to aim at for weight.

Each 'hole' will require different amounts of weight....adjust as often as needed to keep hitting bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Wow. I stopped there Sunday morning on my way to Valdez but just watched for an hour and didn't see any hook ups.
    I'll take some time on my way to Seward tomorrow or the next day and give it a try.
    It was interesting to me because I'm from down below and not used to seeing anyone fish such glacial water and fast too.
    Everyone was just flicking the lures out 20 feet max and bringing it back in.
    That must be the proper technique so that's what I'll try.
    I have an 8 wt fly rod and a Rio versa tip.
    Should I use the fastest sink tip you think and a split shot too?
    Thanks.
    Add some weight, throw it on the edge of breakwater and let it drift down. I've never had more that, maybe, 10 ft of line out on the klutina. I just got back tonight from fishing down there. Reds VERY slow on the klutina. Walked down to the confluence and caught a decent 35 lb king. Friend limited out on reds in about 2 hours. --Remember flip, drift, flip drift....

Default chubby

How far of a walk is it to the mouth, going to have my boy with me so I don't want to go too far. Planning on just fishing around the bridge/campground with him. Heading down Friday. Appreciate it.
    Cody

Default Confluence

Fishnhunt, its maybe a mile to the confluence depending on how high the water is. I have had really good luck down, there just hate that walk just to catch 3 fish and then have to walk all the way back. Depending on how young your son it shouldnt be a bad walk at all.

Default appreciate it

Thanks moosehunter, probably try the camp first and then see how it goes.

It's about a mile, easy walking. There's only one time you have to cross water and it's at the end -- about ankle deep. The water was really low last weekend (7th/8th) but it will be slowly coming up over the next month. My buddy and his wife carried their 5 month old out there in a car seat, so it's obviously easy going. Bring a fillet knife and clean them down there. There's a fishwheel downstream on the copper, it's in the woods so that would make a good table for cleaning (provided you cleaned your mess when you are done) then you could just follow that dry channel 1/2 the way back.

Default appreciate it

Thanks for the info chubby, may have to wander down there and check it out.

Cody

Better call now if you plan on camping or RVing. Almost every spot was booked for this weekend when I checked last sunday.

Default wow

didn't think it'd be that busy already...guess I will. No big deal though really, have slide-in camper can park about anywhere! will call though thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    didn't think it'd be that busy already...guess I will. No big deal though really, have slide-in camper can park about anywhere! will call though thanks
    The campgrounds weren't even half full last weekend but everybody sure had booked for this weekend.

well hope the fish cooperate

Default tips

Can i get some tips on what to use down on the kultina. I am heading there next weekd probaly monday or tuesday. what do you use for bait? Russian river flies, hook and yarn. What size weights do i need. This is my first time fishing the kultina and hoping to catch a buck of reds and maybe a few kings. Any help is needed on what to use thanks.

Default Reds

Just wondering if anybody fished down there this past weekend and if you did how was the fishing. Headed down Thursday night and fishing the weekend.

We were down there saturday and half the day sunday. I caught my limit on saturday in about 2 hours. Fished for only about 4 hours on Sunday and caught one and missed two others. Fishing should pick up this week. The river is still atleast a foot low. I would say fishing was a lot slower than average this weekend. Just my two cents.

-KH

Went down Friday, just fished in the campground and was pretty slow. Only picked up a couple but were kind of limited to where we could fish with other people being there. Saturday was much better, walked down to the mouth and picked up 8 of our 9 and could have got the last one but was ready to head back for chow. I believe I lost my king too, only fish to take off upriver on me (hard) and pulled the hook.

Bigtex flies or hook and yarn both work, weight you'll just have to experiment with depending on the current. Fishing ought to be just getting better by the day, I would think next weekend would be really good. Was a good time, have fun.

Cody

Default Nice

I may have to make a detour when I drive to Valdez Wednesday (and back to Wasilla on Friday).

Default Thanks

I appreciate the info, Looks like we might have to pack a lunch and head down to the mouth, One more question what side was you fishing on at the mouth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast