Thread: Fish Finder Advise

Default Fish Finder Advise

I'll be buying a fish finder in a couple days, and need your advise. It will be going on a 16 foot skiff, and will be getting pretty wet, here in the SE.

My main criteria:
    • Fairly cheap--couple hunderd dollar range
    • Depth to at least 800'
    • Waterproof
    • Ability to clearly see changes in botom structure
    Here's what I've come up with so far:

Huminbird 565, which is $199.99
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_200-1-1

or

Huminbird 525, which is $129.99
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_200-1-1

Don't know much about the difference, since I am new to fish finders.

Thanks for all of your help!

Where are you planning on using it? In our glacial fed salt water, most fish finders don't read nearly as deeply as they claim. If you're just looking to identify depth and detect when you are drifting over structure you'll probably be ok with the less expensive units, but for true fish finding you'll have to put out a few more $'s.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Where are you planning on using it? In our glacial fed salt water, most fish finders don't read nearly as deeply as they claim. If you're just looking to identify depth and detect when you are drifting over structure you'll probably be ok with the less expensive units, but for true fish finding you'll have to put out a few more $'s.
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I'm planning on using in clacial fed salt water. Really I just need something to show a "somehwhat" accurate depth for shrimp pots, as well as bottom structure for halibut fishing.

I'm using a garmin combo gps/sounder and the sounder is good for that purpose, but I plan to dedicate to a true dedicated fish finder. You'll likely have to spend about $600-700 for a nice digital color unit, but it'll be well worth it when you figure out how much it cost each time you take the boat out and the value of the fish.

If youíre going to use it for shrimp then youíll want one that will read down to at least 800 to a 1000 feet reliably. I have 500w Garmin thatís suppose to go that deep but only reliable reads down to about 650 or 700ft and only in smooth water traveling slow.
    If you use a chart plotter to set your pots say in 500 feet you may find them floating away, the charts arenít that reliable.
    To save big on a fish finder buy last years modal on ebay.
    Even the Garmin dealer in town will tell you Garmin makes a great GPS, but lousy fish finder.
    Just my experience..
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I am looking at a Garmin 400C, about $320.00?
    Any thoughts on these, Will be using it in Katchemak or PWS a couple of times a year as I live in the interior and will be using it on a riverboat, so probably not going out to far.
    Also which transducer? dual frequency or dual beam?

I would recommend the 300c or the 400c from garmin. Difference is a 3 inch and a 4 inch screen. Also, the 300c comes with a transom mount transducer, where the 400c does not. 300c is about $275. The transducer that cames with it is a dual beam/dual frequency. Dual beam means it shoots out in a cone shape to give you more of a real time image, and dual frequency is generaly 50/200 mhz. One gives you a good reading of bottom structure, while has a scattered reading for better shallow readings. When they are used together it gives a really accurate reading.