Thread: Prospecting for Fossils?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Prospecting for Fossils?

I don’t usually venture onto this portion of the forum, and I hope I am not posting this in an inappropriate portion of the forum, but am now in need of advice from those of you that have more experience than I in these matters. I have a 4 year old that is a huge fossil enthusiast and I am curious if there are any locations close to the road system, or well established trails that would be suitable for fossil prospecting. I am trying to pry out anyone’s “secret spot” but if you could throw me some pointers or offer up some general advice I would sure appreciate it.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I seem to have left out a very critical “not” in the last sentence of my post there. I am NOT trying to pry out anyone’s “secret spot”. Just looking for some good advice.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Jonesville mine

Sutton area is good for fresh water snails and plant fossils. Go up the mine road from Slipper Lake, go almost to the end at the top and to your left you will see stair stepped cliffs. Along the top of the first stairstep
    way down at the bottom section of steps is a good place to start. A little climbing is required but lots of kids do go up there and you can drive pretty close.
    Directly opposite of the steps, near the treeline is a pile of broken up rocks that were left by a pesky pack of boy scouts. It is a good spot to look for snails. On the steps we have found various petaled flowers, lots of leaves and misc plants.
    For the marine fossils, we go into Boulder Creek on atv's, there are a couple of hot spots in there where you can find clams, ammonites, and snails etc...That would take somebody showing you where to go in there.

Thanks RockHound. I will have to check out the Sutton Area. I have also heard about the Boulder Creek area but have never taken the ATV’s in there as I was under the impression that the trail was not really suitable for, or rather conducive to family / inexperienced riders.

I appreciate the tips!

Smile Boulder

We've taken kids in there, they do it all the time, plus the ones who have camps back in there. Ride em double with an adult if you are nervous the first time. There is hiking involved anyways, and you will need the kids to pull your tired b... up the game trail around the waterfalls.

The mountain above Victory Bible Camp (I believe it's called Victory Peak - on the north side of the road shortly before Matanuska Glacier) is covered in leaf fossils. They're really easy to find, and it's only about a 30-45 minute hike up to the fossil beds. Call the people at Victory and ask if you can cross a short stretch of their land to access the fossil beds beyond. I'm assuming there are other fossil beds in the area as well if you don't want to deal with crossing private land. We found the fossils around 2-3,000' in very light colored shale beds.

Default Fossil Hill

The best place to look for fossils in SC Alaska is Fossil Hill. Park at Mendeltna State Highway Camp. Hike north about 2.5 miles on the trail.
    This is a mudstone hill that is about 800 ft tall.
    You find all sorts of fossils with Ammonites being very common.
    Ammonites are a variety of chambered nautilius or cephlapod.

This is a very cool place to go.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by RockHound View Post
    Sutton area is good for fresh water snails and plant fossils. Go up the mine road from Slipper Lake, go almost to the end at the top and to your left you will see stair stepped cliffs. Along the top of the first stairstep
    way down at the bottom section of steps is a good place to start. A little climbing is required but lots of kids do go up there and you can drive pretty close.
    Directly opposite of the steps, near the treeline is a pile of broken up rocks that were left by a pesky pack of boy scouts. It is a good spot to look for snails. On the steps we have found various petaled flowers, lots of leaves and misc plants.
    For the marine fossils, we go into Boulder Creek on atv's, there are a couple of hot spots in there where you can find clams, ammonites, and snails etc...That would take somebody showing you where to go in there.
    My wife took the kids here yesterday! They really enjoyed searching / finding the fossils. Coyote lake is up the Jonesville way, you can see the slide area in the parking lot that is full of fossils.

Well, I sure do appreciate all the pointers from you guys. We ended up going for a drive with the wife’s rig, so we didn’t bring any of the ATV’s along and I wasn’t really prepared to carry a sleeping 2 year old back from even a short hike so after a drive down Jonesville Rd. and getting an idea what you had all been talking about, we ended up bagging that idea and headed back towards town and pulling off the highway down there at the hairpin turn at caribou creek I think, and were able to find several leaf fossils right there next to the road, and then walked down to the creek for a nice rock throwing session while Wifey fed the 4 week old. Made for a nice road trip and something easy to do to get the boys out of the house. I dont think the 4 year old was all that impressed with the leaves though.............. I have a feeling he was hoping to pull out a tyranasaur skull or maybe a mamoth tusk! Ha! Too much discovery channel I think!

Default Mendeltna camp?????

There is a Nelchena station for the dot. I think the area you are talking about is Slide MT. It is before the Little Nelchena river.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    The best place to look for fossils in SC Alaska is Fossil Hill. Park at Mendeltna State Highway Camp. Hike north about 2.5 miles on the trail.
    This is a mudstone hill that is about 800 ft tall.
    You find all sorts of fossils with Ammonites being very common.
    Ammonites are a variety of chambered nautilius or cephlapod.

This is a very cool place to go.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Probably a little late for this year....but the Healy area is a good place to look around for fossils, We've found some in most any creek drainage that we've poked around in down there.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Buffalo mine road has a spot if you can still get to it.

Default Homer

we used to walk the beachs out of Homer, found a wooley mamoth tusk (Only part of it) gave it to the museum down there, guess it comes out from under the coal seem that runs along the cliff.

Default fossils

Antoher great spot is the little nelchina river. Start at the highway and work your way down. Really great fossils. Be bear aware as I have seen a few while fossil hunting.

check your pms. I have several hundred teeth you could place and would be a cool find for a little one.