Thread: Kodiak in July

Default Kodiak in July

I'm making my annual trip to Larsen Bay on July 8th. whats different is that I'll probably have 5 days in Kodiak also. I'll get my fill of halibut in LB so I'm looking for any tips, rivers to fish etc on the Kodiak side of the island accessible by the road system. I'l be more interested in freshwater species....trout....salmon if they are there. Gear tips???? I'll have access to a vehicle.

The Bushkin River just outside of Town will probabaly still have some Sockeye Salmon, and the Saltery River should be fishing really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    The Bushkin River just outside of Town will probabaly still have some Sockeye Salmon, and the Saltery River should be fishing really good.
    Any recommendations for flies, spinners, bait for those rivers?

you can forget about the buskin for sockeye......closed for remainder of the year due to low fish numbers

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    you can forget about the buskin for sockeye......closed for remainder of the year due to low fish numbers

I noticed that. Will it be legal to fish trout in the waters closed to salmon?

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    Well an EO for the Karluk just went out opening it back up for sockeye. That lasted all of 2 days, then again they had almost 48,000 fish go up the last two days. Any bets on when the Buskin will open back up? I have a bet going with a coworker that it will be next Friday.

I hope your right......

I went to kodiak last summer, we stayed in chiniak which is at the far end of the roadsystem. It was a blast. Theres a tackle store in town, that will tell you which rivers are hot. I think there are 12 which cross the road. We had our best luck on pinkflies.....anything pink...big or small.

heres a couple of videos from last years trip ....good luck and let us know how u do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhdua7N6aeQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-R0sD_hW8

with only 100 and two hundred fish days it will NOT open back up. I have my doubts, but we could get a big push of fish and we will be back in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou W View Post
    I'm making my annual trip to Larsen Bay on July 8th. whats different is that I'll probably have 5 days in Kodiak also. I'll get my fill of halibut in LB so I'm looking for any tips, rivers to fish etc on the Kodiak side of the island accessible by the road system. I'l be more interested in freshwater species....trout....salmon if they are there. Gear tips???? I'll have access to a vehicle.
    There's excellent searun Dolly fishing in saltwater around the river mouths. Start at low tide and work with small streamers such as Clausers. ADF&G stocks 14 road system lakes with fingerling rainbows. Wilder than wild by the time they survive and grow. Average size is probably 10-15", but there are some outsized individuals. ADF&G has a map showing locations. Best luck is with weighted olive Woolly Buggers in the #4-#10 size range. Many of the lakes have brushy shorelines, so a float tube is best. Lay off the shore a comfortable cast away, cast into the shallows and retrieve back real slow.

Well it is supposed to be a smaller run this year anyway. The Buskin is a 10-12K fishery and its had huge returns over the past 7-8 years. Time will tell what effect that has had on the feed in Buskin lake, too many fingerlings can really damage the amount of feed for years to come. I've been out with a retired fish biologist a number of times this spring. A couple observations: Ocean temps are consistently 5 degrees below normal and the couple reds we caught showed very slow development in their eggs. In the 70s & 80s the commercial opener was June 20th and this year's weather is back in that pattern.
    I'm not saying it isn't a bust. I'm just saying that if everything else is running 2 weeks behind then the next week should be the week they show up in force. I remember in 2005 when people were saying the silver run was a bust on the Buskin. Then in late Sept something like 10,000 went through in 2 or 3 days (70% of the run).
    BTW I think F&G did the right thing by closing it down. Better safe than sorry.