Thread: homer

Default homer

we're going down to homer this weekend, any suggestions on good places to cruise around?
    I would also like to try to catch some salt water fish, what could I expect to catch there in the salt water in my kayak? I understand there are flounder and other species. would you use bait?

You might want to hire a water taxi to take you to the other side of the bay. Between halibut cove and Seldovia there are many arms and lagoons to check out, and good structure to fish. On the Homer side unless it is dead calm you want to be sticking close to the spit and won't have quite the fishing opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    You might want to hire a water taxi to take you to the other side of the bay. Between halibut cove and Seldovia there are many arms and lagoons to check out, and good structure to fish. On the Homer side unless it is dead calm you want to be sticking close to the spit and won't have quite the fishing opportunities.
    Thanks.
    what species? I know there's a couple of king runs over there. should I take bait? I usually fly fish, and have spinning rods also.

I suggest you taxi over to Sadie Cove and paddle around there. You can stop for lunch or dinner at Otter Cove. From there, paddles around into Saddie Cove and try for Green and Fire Greenling along the rock bluff just under the power cable. There are also black seabass and well as salmon and halibut. For the greenling and bass use any kind of flashy jig in the 1 oz. range. for halibut use herring. there is grat paddling over there, you can even dig for clams at the head.
    good luck

Default Kelp beds

I have fished the kelp beds near the shore line between Anchor point and Homer from a Kayak.
    You would have to paddle down the shore line to the west and north from Homer. I have seen on the bottom of the Kelp beds, Halibut that were larger than I wanted to tackle from the Kayak.
    I jigged with normal 4 to 6 oz jigs and caught a chicken halibut. Lots of Needle fish in the kelp when I was there.
    I am not sure how the best way to get to this area other than to just paddle. I had a friend of mine haul the kayak with us in his fishing boat, and then I set out alone for a few hours, while he went out in search of Kings. He came back and picked me up, but I did go over to the shore line and get out of the kayak.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com