Thread: Spark plug replacment

Default Spark plug replacment

Here is one for you motor heads I'm doing my own mantenance on my boat this year normaly I do it at a dealer but with the price of fuel and mechanics cost I have to do my own so I can keep the boat and use it ( I hope) my question is I am in need of spark plug change on the engine I have a volvo penta 5.0 it is a ford 305 it is tight to get to the plugs I bought a lockit plug socket look it up nice plug socket. It is still tight anyone have an idea how to make it a bit easyer to change the plugs do I need to remove the exhaust riser man. it is tight. I got the socket on the plug but I canot get rachet on socket and the socket is stuck on the plug hitting on exhaust riser any help would be great if I took it to the dealer it would be like 150 just to replace a set of plugs if they can just do so without any other tweeking not counting fuel to haul there and back 2 times. I have tryed useing a flexable knuckel on socket it will not go on becouse of riser. Also a wrench will not do the trick

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Here is a trick that I learned while turning wrenches and breaking knuckles.

Find you a piece of scrap fuel hose about 10" long then slide it over the the plug snuggly. You can now get the plug almost anywhere you need it and twist it into the threads too. Once snug just pull. You might have to make a custom wrench by bending or tweeking just to make the plug snug. I have ruined alot of wrenches by custom bending them for one specific piece of machinery. But then I just add it to the pile of custom tools and mark them for when I need it again.

Hope this might help.

Ben
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

changing the plugs on my father in laws boat i used a ratchet wrench and a spark plug socket that had a nut pattern on the end. still a tight fit but was able to loosen them enough to take off with a piece of rubber fuel line. it isn't easy but it can be done without loosing to much skin on your knuckles. jeff

I just did my Sea Sport plugs, wires, coil, etc. I have the Chevy 305 it was easy, the Fords must not have the same space or something compared to the Chevy. PM me if you need some additional help.

Default Removing plugs

I have the Ford/Volvo setup on my Osprey. I is a real pain in the rear because of the tube that runs along the lower part of the manifold. I have found that it is easier and quicker to remove the exhaust manifold to replace the plugs. My engine sits so low in the box and the fit is just too tight to access them.I just accept the fact that it will take me about 2 hours of labor and 2 new gaskets to change the plugs. What a poor design. I did find a cure though. I have a fuel injected 350 sitting on a pallet in the garage. Next time I change the plugs on the boat there will be another motor attached to them!!!

I pity anyone that is of large stature and owns an Ospery and those that have the Ford it is even worse. Removing the manifold is your best bet/easiest way to go. Also a real PIA is the starter whether Ford or Chevy. Even found a few where the bolts hang up on the stringer.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Here is one for you motor heads I'm doing my own mantenance on my boat this year normaly I do it at a dealer but with the price of fuel and mechanics cost I have to do my own so I can keep the boat and use it ( I hope) my question is I am in need of spark plug change on the engine I have a volvo penta 5.0 it is a ford 305 it is tight to get to the plugs I bought a lockit plug socket look it up nice plug socket. It is still tight anyone have an idea how to make it a bit easyer to change the plugs do I need to remove the exhaust riser man. it is tight. I got the socket on the plug but I canot get rachet on socket and the socket is stuck on the plug hitting on exhaust riser any help would be great if I took it to the dealer it would be like 150 just to replace a set of plugs if they can just do so without any other tweeking not counting fuel to haul there and back 2 times. I have tryed useing a flexable knuckel on socket it will not go on becouse of riser. Also a wrench will not do the trick
    I have the same motor in my thompson, get a snapon socket with a built in elbow, works great

Default Thank You

Thank you all for the great info. the fuel hose was right on made it alot easyer when the plug was loose and replacing. I ended up useing the lockit spark plug socket thin wall and short with a brake over bar. Just had to loosen the plug a bit put the fuel tube on screw out old plug put new plug in fuel hose screw in put socket and breakover bar on plug snug. Once again you all have help with a frustrating task a big THANK YOU.

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign