Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do all jet boats slide some????

Default Do all jet boats slide some????

Is this jet boat supposed to slide this much? Just got the new to me boat in the water this weekend, its a 20 (19-8) X 60, 6 degree deadrise in the back and a little more in the bow, shaped very similar to a Wooldridge extra plus, this boat has a reverse chine and it has a couple of 1x1 alum. angles on the bottom for stakers or sister keels and a slightly larger center keel. It wants to slide on the turns way more than my 17 foot Wooly??
    Do a lotta jet boats behave this way? (Outboard by the way) If I turn real tight it will spin out, the wooly would lose momemtum and come off step, but rarely spin out.

most river boats will slide in the corners and lose lots of speed but should stay on step....once u get used to it it becomes real fun..

Default hull design matters

My alumaweld slides very little if at all. My buddies Woolridge handles like a slot car on a set of tracks, no sliding what-so-ever. It all depends on the hull design, reverse chine's, weight in the boat, lifting strakes, etc...
    A smooth bottomed john boat slides all over for instance.
    BK

Cool Fun in the sun

My Wooly slides and you have to anticipate that when you are running rivers. I did once over compensate and turned the boat on a dime! I was going down the Little Sue and then found myself facing up stream! The kids loved it!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Think of it as driving a rear wheel drive car in the snow... it is controllable and actually can be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Is this jet boat supposed to slide this much? Just got the new to me boat in the water this weekend, its a 20 (19-8) X 60, 6 degree deadrise in the back and a little more in the bow, shaped very similar to a Wooldridge extra plus, this boat has a reverse chine and it has a couple of 1x1 alum. angles on the bottom for stakers or sister keels and a slightly larger center keel. It wants to slide on the turns way more than my 17 foot Wooly??
    Do a lotta jet boats behave this way? (Outboard by the way) If I turn real tight it will spin out, the wooly would lose momemtum and come off step, but rarely spin out.
    Not if they have Steptec bottoms

These handle like they are on rails...

Skinny water addict

I had a 19 foot flatbottomed "Guideboat" with a 90 horse Evinrude and jet, it was like driving on ice. But it was truly flat-bottomed.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I have been playing with this on finger lake. It does break up the monotony when the fish arent biting and the kids start getting a little bored. I have found that if I cut the throttle and turn the jet to lock then apply max that it will break free and turn 180. I have also found that if I cut it one way then just enough to get it leaning then snap it to lock in the oposit direction it will have a similar effect. I figure I look like a jerk driving my boat around the lake like a kid on a wave runner but theoretically they are skills I will need on the river.

Smile Safety is #1

It's a rough job, but some body has to do it. Keep it up! it will help keep you young.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

I have a 22 Wooldridge Classic. It runs like its on rails to a point and then it will come around very fast. Its a really great thing to have if you get stuck going up the wrong channel and need to turn around in pretty shallow water. I just back off the throttle a second, whip the wheel all the way and go full throttle and bam, you are going the other way. I've had to do it in such a narrow channel that the back end slid up over the rocks while the nose was cutting leaves on the other bank. And that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Besides, my wife was sitting behind me and she sure thought it looked like that too. At least that's what I think she said as she was beating on the back of my head. Hey, where are all the fish this year?

Ive got a lot to learn about running boats thats for sure, I know my 2004 17 wooly didnt slide unless it was nearly MT and you really had to crank the wheel in hurry. I liked the way it handled, it allowed for quick exits if need be. The new boat is very diffrent, when you start to turn the wheel it will begin going that direction but not enuf, so turn the wheel more and it starts sliding, it seems like to much, so correct with the wheel and it grips again, it feels like I am trying to correct back and forth from sliding to gripping? maybe thats what its all about? Its diffrent and I dont like it very much. I am thinking about adding some more strakers to the bottom for more grip? Any thoughts on that? also the wheel is almost 4 turns lock to lock? seems excessive?

I have about the same steering ration in my 17' wooly and I don't care for it either. I am considering putting a quick ratio helm gear in it but not till winter. I havn't done it before and if you find anything about upgrading the steering I would apreciate it if you pass it on!

I had a 04 wooly and I swear it was about 2-1/2 turns L-L? I sold the boat so cant walk out and check, the people that make the helms (Teleflex) show either a 4.2 or 3 turn helm, (in actual use it will typically be less cause the limits of the swing on the motor). They are not hard to change and run from 60 -160 bucks for a new one, make sure it matches your cable unless you are replacing that as well.

Any one else know about this or adding strakers (sister keels) to the bottom?

Default sliding and steering.

well, First run of the year up deshka, and came back with a good dent. I added the wing kit to the jet foot, and it does "grip" more, but is a little more unpredictable. The sliding last year was much more predictable and I learned how to run it pretty well by the end of the year. This year with the wing kit it is different. I also hate that it is at least 3-4 turns lock to lock on mine also. I wouldn't mind changing mine either.
    the dent was by a stump up the deshka on the bank by the narrow section on the left coming down stream. Have to admit she took a pretty good hit, with much less damage than i thought I would have. We checked it over really good when we got it back on the trailer. These boats are amazing. I was SSSOOOO mad at myself. I just finished polishing it up, and waxing it too. It looked like a New boat. Now shes got a good dent in her. My buddy says it has and "Alaska" mark on it. Now shes ready to hunt moose he says.

I like the slide. I always figured if it doesn't slide it could flip.

I was SSSOOOO mad at myself. I just finished polishing it up, and waxing it too. It looked like a New boat.
    It gets easier...
    Hit a bedrock reef a week ago. Dirty water, couldn't see bottom, whack. Good thing i was pretty much idling.
    I always figured if it doesn't slide it could flip.
    It sure feels that way sometimes, but if you do the physics, i think its pretty much impossible to flip a sliding boat assuming you don't hit a log or rock. The center of mass is so low compared to the width.

AkGramps, one hand on the wheel the other on the throttle, just like a car, use the throttle to push yourself out of the turn, you'll find the boat will straighten right up.

The best thing i ever did for control was add a power knob to the steering wheel. West Marine has a nice one. Maybe everyone has one anyway, but man, its night and day for control.

Ahh, the old suicide knob, I've been thinking about getting one.

Yukoner,
    How many tuns at the helm on yer boat?
    Its a Wooly 17 if I remember right.
    Yeah, I never let go of the throttle, it seems like when it starts to turn that I need to countersteer to keep it under control and then it grabs again, and then its time to countersteer somemore and then it starts over again...!!!
    Unlike a extra plus it does have some strakers, maybe it either needs more to make it grip or none at all, or maybe I just need to go out and drive some more and figure it out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast