Thread: 300 Win Mag Rem XCR couple more experiments

Default 300 Win Mag Rem XCR couple more experiments

Well The Doc said to knock off the heavy recoil stuff, but I figured a few rounds using a lead sled could not hurt. Well now it does hurt... I probably gotta sell this rifle, which is too bad since it is pretty neat...

Well anyway, I am still goofing around looking for a good long range hand-load. So far I have managed to get 168 grain boat tails to shoot under a half inch groups, but I wanted something heavier for way out there....

So today I tried some H-1000 powder for the first time along with a couple fairly heavy boat-tails.

Some 190 grain Hornady soft point boat-tails

And Some 220 Grain Sierra HPBT match bullets.

The 220s seemed really long and had to be buried back into the powder.

The next time I will try a couple different powders.
    The loads are on the group pics.

Considering that the barrel is not broken-in yet, and the trigger is still tyoo heavy,,,the 190s look like they may have some promise. They would make a good moose getter as they are now..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have my best accuracy with my 300 mag/700 using 185 gr Lupua (sp?) They really are a fine bullet. Have not killed anything with it; for hunting I use Accubond 180s. But for shooting beer cans at 500 yds, try the 185 Lupua. Good luck. J.

Default right

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Well The Doc said to knock off the heavy recoil stuff, but I figured a few rounds using a lead sled could not hurt. Well now it does hurt... I probably gotta sell this rifle, which is too bad since it is pretty neat...

Well anyway, I am still goofing around looking for a good long range hand-load. So far I have managed to get 168 grain boat tails to shoot under a half inch groups, but I wanted something heavier for way out there....

So today I tried some H-1000 powder for the first time along with a couple fairly heavy boat-tails.

Some 190 grain Hornady soft point boat-tails

And Some 220 Grain Sierra HPBT match bullets.

The 220s seemed really long and had to be buried back into the powder.

The next time I will try a couple different powders.
    The loads are on the group pics.

Considering that the barrel is not broken-in yet, and the trigger is still tyoo heavy,,,the 190s look like they may have some promise. They would make a good moose getter as they are now..
    That 190 Hornady is my favorite long range hunting bullet for the 300. It's accurate as can be, and seems to have just the right build for assured expansion while still holding together way out there. I've only shot deer with it, but wouldn't hesitate to take on elk or moose. It might be tender for shooting big animals inside 50 yards, but it's going to hold together well as velocities drop with range. Heavily built premiums will hold together better at close range, but they rapidly start loosing their ability to expand as ranges stretch beyond 400. Long range shots at game are only reason I use a 300, so the bullet really suits my needs.

Default Best bullet for 300 WIn Mag

The 200 grain Sierra is my long range bullet. I use RL22. The rifle is a Mark X.

Default almost

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBob View Post
    The 200 grain Sierra is my long range bullet. I use RL22. The rifle is a Mark X.
    The Sierra is a real close second for both me and my son-in-law. It gives just the right expansion at long range, but in both our rifles (mine a Rem700 and his an Ruger M77), the Hornady has a slight edge in accuracy. No demerits to the Sierraa, because I usually find their bullets across the board to be the most accurate OTC bullets of all. Just the odd character of individual rifles which keeps us fascinated.

I'm still chugging along on my store of the original H-4831, but had been considering a switch to one of the 4350's. You're not the first person who has recommended RL22, so that's moved a notch further up my list. Thanks!

I tried some 200 grain Boat-tails in this rifle with RL-22 and while the velocities were good, the accuracy was not. The 220s may have ben a little too long for the 1 in 10 rifling. This barrel has 6 groove rifling.
    The lighter bullets will go under half an inch with no problem, but that is not the type of bullet I was think of when I purchased this rifle.

The reason I tried H-1000 was that is is supposewd to be more consistant in pressure over a wide temp range. My winter RL-22 loads seem a little over-pressure now that it is no longer 10 below zero...

Float Pilot, you said, "Well The Doc said to knock off the heavy recoil stuff". WOW!!!???
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Powders

The Reloder series is Swedish Nobel and the 22 is MRP. I am also a fan of the VV powders from Finland. Some powders have a very narrow peak of accuracy and falls off a grain or two on either side. The VV's tend to provide good accuracy over several grains, if they work in one's rifle. I use N135, N140, N540, N560 and N165.

You might want to try RL-19 with the 300 Win Mag also. But, with a good supply of 4831.. can't ask for anything better....

I have a couple pounds of 4831. It always seems to work. I am just trying to try some new things...

But after only 10 rounds of 300 win mag and 20 rounds of 30-06 in a lightweight mountain rifle, my back is killing me today. I am not sure if it is the recoil traveling down my spine to the place where they did the surgery or maybe just bending over and hauling things around...

Float Pilot, I sure hope that your back improves so you can continue to enjoy shooting. I had shoulder problems two years ago and it has healed it's self but when I fired my 300Wby one day I doubled over in pain and it brought tears to my eyes and I had to go home. My 06 did the same thing three days later. Don't know what it was but two months after that if cleared up.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default The Doc said...

"Well The Doc said to knock off the heavy recoil stuff, but I figured a few rounds using a lead sled could not hurt. Well now it does hurt... I probably gotta sell this rifle, which is too bad since it is pretty neat..."

I managed to put two years between the surgery in my neck that fused three vertebrae together, and pulling the trigger on anything bigger than a .243. I started last winter with some light '06 loads, stayed at it, backed off when it hurt, and have moved to the point where last weekend, I shot an 80 bird Clays shoot over the lava beds and sagebrush...
    You didn't mention how long it's been, but after hanging up my Superman Suit, and listening to the Doc, finally, it's worked out pretty well for ME. Hope it heals and works out better for ya!!!