Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian River report...

Thumbs up Russian River report...

Stopped by the Russian on my way back to Anchorage today, just to take a 'look-see.' I walked down to the Cottonwood hole and was pleasantly surprised to see 50-60 reds hanging out in there. This week's opener couldn't come sooner! I'm psyched!!!

Thank you for the report! Yahoo!!!

Talking Yesssss!!!!

You sir, are an asset to our community. YOU took the initiative to answer the burning question "Will there be fishable numbers on opening day?"

Kudos to you, sir. May your lines be tight, your waders leak free and your bladder able to hold all the beer you can drink. You hooks sharp, your rod strong and your luck with you. THANK YOU!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    You sir, are an asset to our community. YOU took the initiative to answer the burning question "Will there be fishable numbers on opening day?"

Kudos to you, sir. May your lines be tight, your waders leak free and your bladder able to hold all the beer you can drink. You hooks sharp, your rod strong and your luck with you. THANK YOU!

HERE HERE ... can't really think of anything to top that

Default Maybe a little overkill there...

My gratitude overrode my normal sensibilities... My fishing itch has turned into an uncontrollable rash and its spreading! (yup... it's contagious too.)
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Let me add one more thing...

Although I did see a *bunch* of reds in the 'Cottonwood hole,' I did not see fish anywhere else on the river...even with the help of my x-ray (polarized) glasses. : )

But hey, a lot can change in 2-3 days!

Can't wait. I don't think I will make it opening day, but I bet I will be down there this weekend to fight the crowds.

Any rainbows spotted? I am also looking forward to pulling a few of those beauties out of the clear water!

Cheers - and tight lines boys!

Default Directions to "Cottonwood Hole" anyone?

Hey if anyone has directions to the cottonwood hole, that would be great if you can relay them to me. Thanks for looking everyone! And thanks to anyone who responds.

Default cottonwood hole

The cottonwood hole is about halfway between the the parking lot called grayling and the confluence w/ the kenai river. The river makes a small bend to the right(if facing the confluence) and flows around a big cottonwood tree. I usually like to fish about 15 yards upstream from the tree. I fished the russian on 6/15 and the water seemed real low so i dont think it will hold as many fish as it normally does. In my experience the cottonwood hole has been the most productive.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Question Any reds to be found on Saturday

With daddy's day being tommorrow I'm sure a lot of dads want to be fishing.So did anyone hve any good reports from Saturday ?I'm going to take the wife from Sportsman's down to Jim's landing in my mini-drifter for the first time (for her).She doesn't like to "flip" but she gets awfully excited when she catches fish.Plus she just bought me a new fly pole at Trustworthy's after mine went T U last Thursday.Got to break it in.
    So someone spill the beans------are you still seeing good numbers coming upstream ?As many as I saw down river Thursday there has to be a bunch still on the way up.............

Default No fish - just a grizz and two cubs..

I went to the falls today - over two miles of water and not a single fish so we kept on going. We did, however, come near and close to a grizz sow and two cubs for about 25 minutes about a quarter mile from the marker below the falls. I secured some great video and photo's can be found on my profile. I estimated her to be about 7 or 7.5'.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    I went to the falls today - over two miles of water and not a single fish so we kept on going. We did, however, come near and close to a grizz sow and two cubs for about 25 minutes about a quarter mile from the marker below the falls. I secured some great video and photo's can be found on my profile. I estimated her to be about 7 or 7.5'.
    Nice Photos!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by STEELHEAD 125 View Post
    The cottonwood hole is about halfway between the the parking lot called grayling and the confluence w/ the kenai river. The river makes a small bend to the right(if facing the confluence) and flows around a big cottonwood tree. .
    That is not the Cottonwood Hole....

I fished from the campground Friday and ended up down at the confluence to get my fish. You could see fish almost all the time while fishing the confluence. Went down Saturday morning and the water had dropped again. When I got down there about 6am I spotted and hooked 2 fish but nothing after that, walking down the river you saw very few fish on stringers. There were a few fish being caught down by the ferry but it was shoulder to shoulder. Fishing was bad enough that we headed home by 10am!

We fished down from the falls last night. Last week was easy limits in under an hour. Very few rerds in the upper fishable reaches. Trout fishing is good though.

Fished Sportsmens to Jims yesterday. The upper part of the float is loaded with fish. After a few miles we did not see many but since we already had our limit of 18 no big deal.

Default Nothing but mosquito bites

Went to the Russian on Friday night, below the landing. Lots of snags. good thing I let them go (They taste better when caught legal) the fellows next to me kept their snagged fish and were fined $130 bucks per fish! Fish and game materialized of the woods like a ninja. Saw a black bear, lots of eagles. Was informed that the limit is only 3 below the the ferry, is this true?
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in english, thank a veteran

Don't know about the limit below the Ferry, if it's 3 per there were about 200 violators there! I was fishing last night and into this AM. Too many snaggers though. I'm just figuring out this body of water, so bear with me.
    Across the river from the "bridge" the guys were slaying them in the calmer water. We saw hundreds caught between 4am and 8am. The Russian was a ghost town and we parked up at Pink Salmon and walked down to the confluence and there wasn't much happening. That's when we decided to head over toward the Ferry. I hooked into 3 legal out of about 40 snags. The action sure is fun! Saw a blackie on the far shore munching on carcasses and heard numerous gun shots up and down the river around 6-7am.
    I didn't see one DNR officer nor get checked the entire time.

FYI

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Eksak View Post
    Was informed that the limit is only 3 below the the ferry, is this true?
    How far below the ferry we talking about? All the way down to the mouth of the Kenai or down to boat launch @ Jims Landing. From the Falls down to the launch @ Jims is 6 per day 12 in possession.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...sian_61609.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    The Russian was a ghost town and we parked up at Pink Salmon and walked down to the confluence and there wasn't much happening. That's when we decided to head over toward the Ferry.
    Good call. Passage thru the clear waters of the Russian proper has plummeted... as if someone turned the faucet off since the EO to 6 per day and 12 in possession. 1070 ---> 400 ---> 435 ---> 171 ---> 142. Is it over, or is the boot brigade simply impeding passage out of the sanctuary zone?

I hooked into 3 legal out of about 40 snags. The action sure is fun!
    HMMMM.... sounds like you need a serious change in technique. If the goal was to limit out, that's a lot of wasted downtime dealing with snagged fish. Not to mention it's much harder on the fish to have to endure the repeated battle scars. Try losing that water-hissing R-I-P at the end of every drift. Bet you would have hooked into 6 legal fish and been out of there in a LOT less time.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast