Thread: grumman sport boat

Default grumman sport boat

I saw all the info on the freighters here and I guess a sport boat would be in the canoe class

A freind of mine has a 1974 model in decent shape, a few modest dents in the bottom but nothing big or creased

He has a lift on it but he wants to keep his 15 HP motor

I'm looking at it strictly for lake use, would one of the 2.5 hp 4-strokes push it along if speed were not an issue or would it totally slog along?

This boat is probably more than what I need but I think the price is right at $600 and I like the canoe like platform but it's rowable

Default sport boat

If you decide not to buy it, I would be interested as I have been looking for one lately...I have a 16.5 foot square back canoe you can by from me;-)

I use a 2.5hp to cross lakes with 3 rafts strung together on a line. I only get about 3.5 mph this way, but it's a better speed than rowing. The sport boat would be much faster of course, and as long as speed is not your primary concern it would do the job.

If it's in good shape, doesn't leak, doesn't have major gouges on the bottom, etc., then $600.00 is a steal of a price.

I'd think that a 4hp or 6hp is what you'd want at a minimum to get around in it.

I know that the 4-strokes are more environmentally responsible, and likely heavier, but there's also quite a number of decent 2-strokes on the 'used' market.

Of course, more places are slowly moving toward banning or phasing out 2-stroke equipment, too.

I have a 1974 9.9hp 2-stroke Evinrude with hydro-fins on an older Beaver Sports/J. Klingel lift, on the back of a 1974 Grumman 19' square stern, and it gets up and goes quite nicely on the lakes, though I need to do something to keep the lift down a bit when the boat gets up on step.

And I may need another child to place in the bow to compensate for stern drag and balance... ;^>)

I'll be posting a new thread in a moment re. rivet/sealing issues with that particular boat...

ruffle

Quote Originally Posted by AKCheese View Post
    I saw all the info on the freighters here and I guess a sport boat would be in the canoe class

A freind of mine has a 1974 model in decent shape, a few modest dents in the bottom but nothing big or creased

He has a lift on it but he wants to keep his 15 HP motor

I'm looking at it strictly for lake use, would one of the 2.5 hp 4-strokes push it along if speed were not an issue or would it totally slog along?

This boat is probably more than what I need but I think the price is right at $600 and I like the canoe like platform but it's rowable

The Grumman Sport canoe is 12'6" and had the highest weight capacity more than the 19' freighter. This boat was rated as a row boat, by the coast guard. It was a square stern and was rated for a max hp of 5 horse by the coast guard. Most folks that used the boat ran 15 hp on the rivers.

In my opinion, one of the best boats ever put on a river here in Alaska. This particular boat would get a pair of hunters into areas big boats would never see. I have regretted every since, the day I moved up in size to the bigger boats. Each trip I've made to hunt has reminded me of how sweet a rig the 12'6" was.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default 15' Sport Boat

Cheese,

You mention the canoe characteristics of the Grumman Sport Boat.....IIRC, the 15' Sport Boat is exactly the same as the 19' Square Stern Canoe minus the back 4 feet.

Vern