Thread: Best digital camera for hunting?

Default Best digital camera for hunting?

Just wanted to get an opinion on what is the best digital camera for taking on hunting trips.

The waterproof/shockproof Olympus Stylus series. It's the only one to have in the outdoors as far as I'm concerned. I would have gone through at least 5 normal cameras by now. Pics come out good too.

i have the olympus, and i am not happy with it at all, and one of my female friends says the same thing about hers. even messing with all the settings it is tough to get good pictures in bad lighting. im getting ready to sell mine. maybe the new model takes better photos but i spent 400 on mine. oh well. time for something new.

Default olympus stylus 300

I have an olympus stylus 300 that I bought on e-bay a few years ago. I like it. It is also weatherproof.

Default Pentax Optio Waterproof

Waterproof (as in submersible to 3m) is all you need to know

I've taken my snorkeling in Hawaii (major leap of faith there)

Great battery life......... mine came with a spare too

Shop around online and I think you can get one for under $200 (got mine 2 years ago so may have gone up).......... or $400 if you pay retail around town here

Mark

I've had a Sony CyberShot DSC-U60 for a few years not. It's fully waterproof to 15 ft. depth.

The problem is that it's only 2 megapixel, and there's no zoom at all. It also has a very small screen, and can be difficult to see the target.

For snapshots, it has served me very well, but I think AKCheese has suggested the better camera, but the Pentax is quite expensive compared to the Olympus and the Sony (which may not available any longer)........
    Attached Images Attached Images

After carrying a camera around for many years on hunting and fishing trips I have discovered if it will not fit into my pocket I generally will become lazy and not remove it from the backpack to use it.
    Rule number one, make sure it is a pocket camera. Reading the reviews on this web site may help you make a good choice:
    http://www.dpreview.com/
    Tennessee

Nice piece of info.

Default Canon Powershot

I bought the Canon Powershot S1 IS in 2004. This has a 10x Optical Zoom (not digital)... takes GREAT pictures, high res (5mp). Sturdy, reliable... simple.
    Been real happy with it.
    Not water proof... I haven't put it in a creek ... but used it on many rainy days. Put it in a zip lock for fishing/ATV/backpacking/hunting trips.
    Uses regular old AA batteries... don't need to worry about fancy chargers, etc.

Anyway -- no matter what cam you choose for your pocket... go for OPTICAL zoom versus Digital zoom. Higher Optics, means less digitized pictures. And probably more focused images.
    "Outdoor" cameras will put you near the bear, near the moose. But, the camera doesn't always see things so "closely".
    If you are concerned about environmental issues (rain, dropping in a creek)... put it in a ziplock. They run a couple bucks for a box.

The newest model is the S5 IS... 12x optic and 8mp. I believe MSRP puts this in the $400 range.

I think the answer to this question is best determined by the needs, desires & expectations of the user, and everyone's different.

Photography is a big issue for me, and I will often take a large Pelican box with a DSLR, and 4-5 lenses along, just because I know that I can get better results with all that stuff than I can with a lesser camera. If I really am forced to pack light I get a smaller Pelican box with a superzoom point & shoot, extra batteries, memory cards, and a auxiliary attachment lens. I would seldom have any use for a truly pocketable camera. I find them too restrictive, with intolerable low quality.

Obviously, I'm a bit out in left field for many of you, but that's the point -- everyone has different needs, desires & expectations, and their choice in the ideal camera is dependent on that. The tiny water & shock resistant Olympus & Pentax point & shoot cameras are plainly the best design for some but not all. Better image quality can be wrung out of better cameras. But if you won't pack it with you, or you drop them on the floor, or in the water, those WR/SW models are the best thing going.

The new Olympus 1030SW looks quite nice with good protection and a truly useful wide lens. Even works underwater.

Currently live in Austin, TX. Born near Pittsburgh, PA, and lived in CO for 8 years.

I have a Panasonic TZ1 that has been elk, duck and goose hunting with me for the last three years. Pocket sized, so I always have it, and a 10x zoom, so it's great for wildlife shots. Animals are no longer the dark dot in the grass. The newer models are still 10x, but have a wider field of view.

I'll take my DSLR at times, but it is too big to take on any serious hunting trips, although nice to have in camp for photos after the tag is filled.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I have an olympus stylus 300 that I bought on e-bay a few years ago. I like it. It is also weatherproof.
    I also have an old 300 that has been near bullet proof. It has been dunked when I slipped and took a ride on my butt through a class 1 chute, It has been to the bottom of a six foot hole in in Cattaragus Creek in NY (it was still attached to my neck at the time ) It has been bounced and dropped on numerous occasions and it still works great. One of these days I'll get a newer one. It takes reasonable photos but the Canon's do produce crisper images, but are not water proof. If you're going to be outdoors get a water proof camera.

Most of the photos in my photo gallery have been taken with my 5 year old Stylus 300.

http://www.arcticangler.ca/

Default Which camera is best?

The camera that you remembered to pack...is better than the one left at home.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Which camera is the best ? That is just like saying, .. ..

Which rifle should I purchase to go hunting ?

Which type of brush should I use to paint a picture ?

Quote Originally Posted by Majik Imaje View Post
    Which camera is the best ? That is just like saying, .. ..

Which rifle should I purchase to go hunting ?

Which type of brush should I use to paint a picture ?
    I think he means:

"Hey hunters! What camera do you use when out on a hunt?"

Not:
    Which is the best camera EVER! HA! that would be a LOOONG thread!
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

The best camera ever ?? that thread would only consist of 5 letters.

It is undisputed as to what that camera is for over 60 years now or longer.. "LEICA" !!!