Thread: rookie question

Default rookie question

Being new to Alaska and never really fishing for salmon all that much before I would like some input on fishing the tides. I know the fish are gonna come in with the tide, but what is the money time to be on the river? I'm thinking a couple hours before high tide until an hour after slack but I really am not sure. Looking forward to trying to catch some reds here on Kodiak shortly. I would like to thank everyone who posts on this forum. It sure is a great resource (not to mention a great place to BS about fishing and hunting and our shared love of the outdoors). Thanks in advance for your response

You have the timing figured out. It varies a bit depending on how far from the salt you are fishing, but near the high tide is always a good bet.

No reds yet K.B.? You gotta cover that water for me, only 6 1/2 weeks until I get there!

Default Emerald isle favorite time...

sunrise
    especially if the high tide has ocurred in the darkness just prior to the morning light

sunset
    especially if the tide has ocuured just prior to the sun going down

anytime the rain quits
    need I say more...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default thanks

thanks for the responses. I agree bernard anytime it quits raining is a good time! No I haven't caught any reds yet MN they are late this year according to everyone I've talked to. I'll hopefully have some salmon on the grill sometime this week though!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    anytime the rain quits
    need I say more...

Rosenberg/Florida
    What happened to "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't" (McManus)?

Moosehead, when you say it varies depending on how far you are from the salt, I'm assuming you mean the closer to the salt you are, the earlier you should be there... is that right? I'm another great lakes fisherman that doesn't have a clue about tides aside from what I've read--care to enlighten me?

i have found, after years and years of research, and trial and error, that the best time to fish is within 2 weeks either side of a full moon....

No, the best time to fish is when the fish are in the river....

Thumbs up

I second that... The best time is when the fish are in the river. When you can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by scrivz View Post
    What happened to "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't" (McManus)?

Moosehead, when you say it varies depending on how far you are from the salt, I'm assuming you mean the closer to the salt you are, the earlier you should be there... is that right?
    The fish enter when the tide is high. Often referred to as a "push" of fish into the river. They sometimes will find a hole in the lower river and stack up there, other times they will rush right through. Either way you can have reasonable chances of putting your lure in front of a fish if you fish in the lower river right after a high tide. The further you get from the salt the timing is not as affected by the tides.

Quote Originally Posted by dayooper View Post
    i have found, after years and years of research, and trial and error, that the best time to fish is within 2 weeks either side of a full moon....
    Dayooper, I must say, That is classic. I have never heard that one before. I'm gonna stick that one in my tackle box. To answer the question about when to fish reds, fishing the tide will always help but with the reds, when there coming, there coming. Much different than the Kings or Silvers. If you see a black line of fish, you're good! If you are going to stay in Kodiak through the summer, you are in for a treat once the Silvers start running. They get a great run down there! Good luck and keep your tips up...
    Fishing is one part skill too two parts luck!

Default thanks for the info

I am hoping to stay here for the next 30 years but you just never know when the urge to run will hit ya! Looking forward to catching my first kodiak salmon