Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer flounder

Default Homer flounder

What's the deal with the flounder that you can catch down by the hotel near the dolphin pilings, are those things any good to eat? They are pretty easy to catch and it seems that some groups go down there and fill up bucketfuls while others say that those fish don't taste very good.

Anyone have any experience with cooking and eating those flounders? How about any luck catching pollock or cod down that way.

Mark

If they're arrowtooth flounder (long, pointy, spiky teeth), they're no good.

I think all the other flounder species are good to eat. I like them.

Default sole

Those are yellowfin sole off of the end of the spit. They are sold commercially, and quite edible. I've eaten some I've caught there; the texture was a little mushy, but that may well have been due to overcooking on my part, and the flavor was fine.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    Those are yellowfin sole off of the end of the spit.
    I was fishing down by the lands end hotel near what they were calling the dolphin pilings. There is some sort of discharge pipe that pumps fish scraps in the water every so often. The sea gulls loved it.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by monello View Post
    I was fishing down by the lands end hotel near what they were calling the dolphin pilings. There is some sort of discharge pipe that pumps fish scraps in the water every so often. The sea gulls loved it.
    I used to fish there years ago. I tried to target the cod, but love the flounder, too.

I would see those little harbor porpoises, and when I would try a spinner for dollies I always wondered if a porpoise would hit the lure, but they never did.

Boy, what a fight that would be on light line, huh?........

Default Depends on your taste!

They taste good but the texture is not so great. They tend to be mushy!
    They make good fish Taco's.

I can share a simple recipe if you'd like!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Taste like chicken
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Like Stated The Flounders Make Good Fish Tacos..the Arrowtooth Flounders Have A Huge Market Overseas And Were Bringing Top Dollar Last Year.. You Catch Them In The Sand Waves....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by boneyardbaits View Post
    ....the Arrowtooth Flounders Have A Huge Market Overseas And Were Bringing Top Dollar Last Year......
    That's good news to me!

Now if you can get the dogfish market to take off
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

you need to clean them as soon as you catch them, they start to digest themselves from stomach acids as soon as they die. if you gut and ice them the texture is good, if you wait an hour or two, they get mushy.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dayooper View Post
    you need to clean them as soon as you catch them, they start to digest themselves from stomach acids as soon as they die. if you gut and ice them the texture is good, if you wait an hour or two, they get mushy.
    Good tip. Are you referring to arrowtooths or other soles/flounders?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Good tip. Are you referring to arrowtooths or other soles/flounders?

any really... arrowtooth are the quickest to decompose, but any flounder should be gutted and iced.

Talking here's a nice yellowfin sole...

picked this guy up jigging while i was waiting for some hikers to show up.
    always time for a little fishing at work!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Nice, How big was he?/How big are the ones off the end of the spit? Dinner plate sized im guessing

you are about right 'whacker...big ones are about dinner plate size, most about paper plate size...

Default Junkfish buffet

We had a trash fish buffet last year.
    We cooked up dogfish ( fair), Skate ( not bad either) arrowtooth( DONT"),flounder( decent), kelp greenling ( by far the best) and sculpin( too scared to eat something that ugly).

The absolute worst was Arrowtooth. They stink and the meat has the consistancy of apple sauce. They may have a big market overseas but they sure don't for me.

They also use human waste for fertilizer and eat insects in other countries too....

Stick with the sole, greenling and even dogfish but the arrowtooth are foul.

Just from my trash fish eating expereince.

historically arrowtoothflounder have been used as mink food in fur farms....

Default cooking greenling-

Hey Akcapt and others- Not to hijack, but I fried up some greenling in olive oil one time and it had kind of a bitter taste. How did you cook yours?

My son caught one by halibut cove, and I didn't immediately gut it and put it on ice. I battered and fried it when we got home. The flesh was mushy, but had a good flavor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast