Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Finger Lake Monster

Default The Finger Lake Monster

I found this one at the ADN fishing report.

First off I wonder if it is a fish story, second I would consider not spreading it around so much.

But I may not ever pursue it myself so maybe someone here can.

----
    Dated June 4 2008 http://community.adn.com/adn/node/123778
    Finger Lake

Three of us fished this lake last Sunday morning and limited out on Artic Char, Nice size fish, even caught one Trout over 20. I had the new state record(Char) on the line and due to my trout net being a little small, he got off at the boat. This guy was huge and close to 15-20lbs. I thought it might have been a lake trout, but obviously the colors gave him away. We were trolling with small flashers with a 12-18inch leader tipped with a worm. Great tech, and worked fantastic. Everytime we go to this lake we limit out on this technique. Give it a try and take the kids..they will love it!

Troll with flashers in about 20 ft of water, we were letting our line out about 20-40 yards behind the boat with a 1ounce weight attached to the front of the flasher, Not sure how far this was going down...probably right off the bottom and they were hammering it. When you find one fish turn around and keep the same tech, they were picking it up everytime we went over them and was a blast.

We worked the area between the second island and the point at the end of the lake.

Two weeks ago we limited out on Char using chartruse number 4 meps or whatever the Barrel looking like lures are called. We fished the flats on the right side of the first island, Water temp was 44 and fish were on the edge of the flat close to the bottom in about 8-12 ft of water on the edge of the dropoff. Even caught a few this past weekend on the same tech but in a little deeper water.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Mark

Interesting, including some of the other comments on the ADN article.

That lake gets hit hard by ice fishermen in winter, and I never hear of fish like that being pulled out of there.

I fish Finger Lake quite a bit and have caught some nice rainbow, but never an arctic char like they are mentioning. I've seen pictures of the state record arctic char and I have a hard time thinking something like that lives in Finger Lake. We usually catch and release, but seems like most people keep whatever they catch. With so much pressure winter and summer and most fisherman keeping their catch it would be amazing for anything to get over 10 lbs here.

Fished here today and it was tough with all of the water skiers, jet skiers, and pleasure boaters. Busy place.

Default Rainbows

I saw a little old lady pull a nice 20" + rainbow out of there a few weeks ago while testing my boat, she asked if I had something to club it with because she wanted to keep it. I climbed back into the boat and whipped out my "halibat", told her that it had killed lots of salmon and halibut with it but I just never had the heart to kill a rainbow with it. She didn't get it and gave the fish a whack anyways.

Default There are big ones in there.

I dont see why it couldn't hold some fatty's. Obviously it does if R Miller had a 15lbs fish right up to the boat. Why not? Its a fairly large lake with thousands of fingerlings/catchables dumped into it every year. The Char have all the food, and room it would take to get big. Also they wouldn't be biting alot with all that food available so that would explain why they are not caught that often. Ive seen 10 lbs fish from that lake almost always caught May/June. My biggest there was a 23 inch rainbow about 6 yrs ago. I bet it weighed 5 lbs. It had a big belly on it.

Perfect place to take the kids. While they are having a blast with the catchables you can be fishing a little farther out knowing there is a beast somewhere in those depths.

Default oops

oops. thats what i get for posting before checking the site. I thought R miller caught that fish.

Default We went after the Finger Lake Monster

Did not get him but we had a blast and did get three fish. There are going on the smoker.

We actually had several bites and I had four bites but only landed the one.

Attached Images Attached Images

Wow I think you have the same boat as me. What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    Wow I think you have the same boat as me. What is it?
    Grizzly Tracker. 1860

Default yep

HA . Exact same boat. 65 horse jet? (90/65)

I have been fishing the flats and coves around the lake. I have caught a few 10-15" bows. I had one close to 20 spit the hook on me but I have been fishing shallower water. I guess I need to get some larger weight and maybe actually hook up the depth finder and look for changes in the bottom terain. I toss a small kwik fish or a couple different small spinners with varied results. No bites at all with a vibrax but I have a little chartreuse<sp?> 0 rooster tail that they seem to like.

We got the little one on power bait (it ate two different flavors)

The 12 incher was caught on a flatfish. X20 or U20 I believe 2 1/2"

The 19" fish was caught on that orange spinner in the first video. It is an inline giant Kokanee spinner that I put an orange plastic worm on. I had a flasher and a 1/2 OZ weight about 30" in front of the lure.

----------------

Yes it is a 90/65 Merc jet. If you have a small 18 inch motor mount I suggest you save some dough to buy a larger wider mount because some of welds are cracking in the back of the boat and I have lost some rivets too. That attach the back seat to the transom. (Assuming you may have bought the boat at the same place I got mine)

Wink Finger Lake Monster

I heard you guys were concerned about the "Fish Story" as well as concerned about the posting of my report. I dont know why anyone would be concnerned about posting a positive report that shows the success of our Alaskan Fishery. Finger lake is a great success story and has always proven to be a successful lake for all ages to enjoy. I was out there yesterday and saw numerous fish caught even with the skiers etc. They made it hard to fish but we still pulled a few trout out of there.

As far as the "Monster" He is still out there and I will tell you there are some out there bigger than him. As everyone knows..no fisherman should ever have to defend himself over a legally caught/hooked..LOL fish. I have caught numerous over 20inches over the last three years and plently up the 28 inches. We have caught some very nice trout as well over 15 but always release them.

Great lake...I will continue to fish this lake hard in search of that new record, now that I know he is there. Like all others I talked to yesterday, they want their name on that board as well.

good luck and take the kids fishing,,They might want their bragging rights as well.

Thanks,,goes out to the guys who do believe that the "Monsters" lurk in Finger Lake.

Take a look at the what they stock that lake with and you will see that there are plenty of fish to be had. In Nov. of last year they planted 36 24" char in there so you'd have to expect to catch a decent fish every now and then.

Default You Rock Duckhunter01

I very much appreciate your reply to this. I wanted so much to believe this was a true story. So much so I went searching myself for the Monster.

Default Finger Lake Monster

RMiller, Your welcome.. I enjoyed the videos of your daughters and saw you out there Sunday. My wife kept reminding me of how great it must be for a Dad to take his daughters fishing on an afternoon like that...could have been a better one without all the noise. Although any day with the kids is a great one. Mine are only two and will soon enough be with me after that Monster again. I usually go with a buddy of mine from Eagle River and tend to get pretty serious verses with the wife etc.

We were in a 14ft Alumaweld,,trolled right by you and hooked up on those two trout. Probably dont remember but that was us.

Thanks for the reply,,great to have other guys out there tryign to catch em.

There was a guy and gal in a plastic pontoon boat that asked me what the fish with the orange dots is. I told him it is an Arctic Char and I told him that the limit for them and rainbows is five each with rainbows only one over 20". He asked "one rainbow each over 20 inches?". I told him yes. Turned out him and his partener together had two rainbows over 20" and an 18" char along with a couple smaller rainbows.

I should have brought my binos to see what he was trolling with.

I have been able to take my two boys out salmon fishing and wanted the girls to have a turn at fishing.

Default Trout caught

Yeah, I noticed them at the boat ramp and seems they had a few over. OH well,.,,it happens to the ones that dont check the regs or dont think they will even catch ones that big.

Not sure what they were using, but as I explained in my earlier post that was taken from ADN website, we most always use this tech. I did speak wtih a guy that was trolling with his some in simular boat as mine Sunday and he stated that he was stolling with an orange vibrex and was doing well. Said he caught one 28inches the night before.

See you out there one day, we are planning on doing the Russian River trip this Friday (midnight run) and might be out there Sunday morning or Sat afternoon. Have to wait and see.

I have been running my 17' river boat out there and I think that the 90 horse jet is probably not the best for trolling. I am considering fabing up a mount and hanging a couple hundred $$ electric motor off the front with a removable battery pack for running around the lake. What speed are you guys trolling at? I would really like to see some pictures of the rigging and explainations of how you use it. Untill recently my lake fishing consisted of standing on the shore and casting repeatedly. Now I am standing in a boat and casting repeatedly. Aparently there are better ways that I have not learned!!

Talking Trolling Technique

For those who are interested. I have talked to numerous guys and gals while fishing at Finger Lake, Always spark a conversation with the ones that want to talk, Sharing techniques or whatever is working has always been a pleasure of mine. There are plenty of fish for everyone and if something is working,,why not everyone enjoy the rush!

I generally use two techinques, First I have to portable downriggers on my johnboat, I also use my fishfinder and will mark the fish and set them for about 5 feet above the fish. I will use a 6-8 inch silver flasher with the premade line/hook setups topped off with a juicy nightcrawler. I place the flasher about 30 feet behind the boat and troll in anywhere from 12-30 feet of water. Seems my best luck so far has been trolling alongside the banks using the dropoffs etc. Fish have been suspended in about 12-15 feet off of the bottom in about 20 feet of water. This tells me the O2/ weeds and water temp must be just right to have them suspended at this level.

Second, I will use a flasher with a 1/2 or 1ounce banana weight about 2 feet in front of the flasher and again topped off with a worm about 12-18 inches behind it. (I usally put this out oh,,say a good cast backwards and maybe a couple of yanks forward with the spool open)I really have no idea how far this goes down but it I start hitting weeds I will reel up a bit and try to put it right above the bottom or until it get that serious knock and the rod bends. Both the Trout and Char have hammered this tech, we have also caught lake trout and land locked salmon with this as well. I will add that we have tried spoons, kwikfish, small spinners and wedding rings (for those that know what these are) with luck as well. We normally try a few different items in the box, but seems the ol'worm does it every time. I have even tried an old Indian trick when out of bait and it landed one of my biggest ones last week. (remove one gill from your Char or Trout you are keeping and run the hook through one end of the cartlige. This allows it to spin and turn while being trolled and simulates a woundes/injured baitfish. I have used this tech in many instances when I am out of bait or or during survival situations. It works great. and is cheap.

I will close by adding that the speed seems to be an important part to this as well. I have caught Trout in position 5 on my trolling motor and that was cruising pretty fast for trout. Caught two this weekend as I approached a flat and had a double on at the same time. For the char I tend to slow it down to 2 or 3 position as it seems the slower I go the better response I get. You will have to adjust the line you take in or put out to keep it in the strike zone. Remember how much line you let out and every little detail in ref to your tech, when you catch one obviously do the same from then on. I have very seldom had to adjust my tech after I catch the first one.

Just to pump everyone up a bit more! I had this guy on my line, right at the boat and his head was the size of one of those nerf footballs. Huge solide beast! Not 10 mins after that I hooked another one that was bigger than him, I will tell you that I did not see this one, but he fought harder and pulled a lot of. line off as I was only using 10lb line anyhow. I played him for a bit and we actually had to stop the trolling motor. We did not do this on the first one and probably played a part in him getting away. They were all in one school and in one spot about 30 yards long and 15 feet deep. I just can not believe this guy got off. Stll kills me and my buddy that we lost this guy.

Well, there you have it,,the cat is out of the bag!!LOL Enjoy my tech and lets bag this guy!

If anyone catches the new record on this lake this year, All I want is a picture of this guy...LOL

Take a kid fishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast