Thread: Flood Two Years Ago August

Default Flood Two Years Ago August

Does anyone think the floods we had a few years back are effecting the run this year? I've seen no mention of it at all. The flood was real bad and I can't see how it can't effect the run in the next few years.

Default flood

are you talking about the ice jams on the keani river in the winter of 06/07?

Id attribute the weather and water temperatures more than the possibility of the floods on why the runs are late

Default Fish Timing

Circalunal rhythms are rhythms that are synchronized to the waxing and waning of the moon that forms a lunar month. A lunar month lasts 29.5 days. Many cycles are coordinated with the lunar month or with stages of the lunar cycle. Atlantic fireworms (Odontosyllis spp.) for example breed on a circalunal basis just before the fourth quarter of the moon throughout most of the year. Their breeding activity produces a luminescence that can be seen for miles. It has been noted since Greek and Roman times that the flesh of oysters and other shellfish increases and decreases with the moon (Cloudsley-Thompson 1980).
    Possibly the best known circalunal cycle is the human menstrual cycle. This averages approximately 29.5 days between the ages of 15 and 40 (Binkley 1997). Although it has been argued that the menstrual cycle is not a circalunal cycle because there is a variation in both period length and synchronisation between individual women, it is possible that the use of artificial light and the blocking out of the moon by curtains and blinds in modern life affects the timing of the cycle. On the other hand it may be that the cycle was once properly circalunal and that the length of the cycle is now just due to ancestral timing.
    Other lunar cycles include the pit building activities of antlions (Myrmeleontidae). Antlions dig bigger pits at full moon, than at new moon. This pit building activity occurs every 29.5 days even in constant conditions (Goodenough 1993).

So in summary; if you are born into the water and can't find a clock to set your migration by; you instinctively learn to time your migration by the tides and water temperatures. Since we've had a cooler than usual spring, our water temps (everyone is always checking those) have a partial impact on our run timing. If you look up the calendar years in association with the particular moon phase; you can get a rough estimate as to when your favorite fish is going to be in your favorite fishing hole.

-This is all my own opinion, of course, and by no means do I protray myself as any kind of expert; I just really dig on doing research and geeking out on answering my own questions.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Robb you are probably correct. I do believe the tides, moon and temp are probably the biggest factors. The flood up here was so severe I would think that it is going to impact the run. It reminded me alot of the flood that wiped out the Deshka in late 80's.

Default The other part of that...

is the weather. Note that the absence of moonlight can alter the circalunal cycle and that would stand to conjecture that a long period of clouds could also alter migratory patterns dependent on the moon phase. Pray for clear skies and a southwest wind guys/gals.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32