Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you eat your bear?

Default Do you eat your bear?

I'm just curious about what you do with the bears you kill. Eat em? Give the meat away? Just want the skin?

Heck yes we eat them!!!!!!

Spring bear is tops. The meat is sweet and in my mind better than pork ever thought of being. You haven't eaten chili verde or burritos till you've had them made with spring bear. And stew! Oh, baby.

And don't turn loose of any of that fat. Render it for the sweetest cooking oil around. To tell you how mild it is, I've never had better doughnuts than the ones cooked in bear fat. Haven't tried making my own yet, but a friend used bear fat rather than vegetable oil to make homemade mayonaise, and I'll never eat storebought again as long as there's bear fat in the house.

Default It's Tasty

I got both rear quaters smoked into hams and the rest into spicy breakfast sausage, summer sausage, and pepper sticks. Spring blacks are very good for smoked and processed meats. I am not a huge fan of bear steaks, but my coworkers and family love bear steaks, all depends on your taste buds. At very least the hide will make it to a tannery and skull boiled and bleached for the mantle.

D#@n, I thought you guys were just going for the pelt for the most part. I need to get out there and get one I guess. What is the texture like? I heard through the grapevine that the meat is really good roasted like beef, thoughts? When is it getting too late in the season to taste really good for SE Alaska?

Default Fry it baby!

Coated in flour, salt, pepper, and fried in Crisco!

Just joking.

I've tried the steaks....not bad but certainly not prefered. I'd rather eat some kind of deer.

The fat though is the most amazing fire starter and stimulant durring a SE AK rainstorm I've ever used. The combustion rate is just perfect so that there is a constant influx of heat to burn the wettest of wood. Haul some of that thick fat back with the hide for excellent fires boys.

Default Good

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    D#@n, I thought you guys were just going for the pelt for the most part. I need to get out there and get one I guess. What is the texture like? I heard through the grapevine that the meat is really good roasted like beef, thoughts? When is it getting too late in the season to taste really good for SE Alaska?
    I'm a hard liner on this point, and I don't have much patience for folks that disagree. Even if you decide you don't like bear there are lots of folks who do. It's high on the list of hunters' sins to leave that carcass in the woods when it can be used by someone even if you don't want it. Just taking the pelt and leaving the carcass of a black bear is a pure sign of laziness to me when the carcass can be used by someone somewhere. The hard work required and continuing to learn how to cook with it even if you don't like it now is all part of being a responsible hunter. If and when a proposal goes before the board of game to put blackbear on the wanton waste list, I'll be there to support it, loud and long.

Default I never used

to be interesterd in keeping the meat, until a few years ago, a buddy gave me some pepper sticks he had made. Now I look forward to keeping the meat and I process it all into pepper stick.. For me any game meat, fish or what ever I process, it is all about finding the best way that I will use it!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm a hard liner on this point, and I don't have much patience for folks that disagree. Even if you decide you don't like bear there are lots of folks who do. It's high on the list of hunters' sins to leave that carcass in the woods when it can be used by someone even if you don't want it. Just taking the pelt and leaving the carcass of a black bear is a pure sign of laziness to me when the carcass can be used by someone somewhere. The hard work required and continuing to learn how to cook with it even if you don't like it now is all part of being a responsible hunter. If and when a proposal goes before the board of game to put blackbear on the wanton waste list, I'll be there to support it, loud and long.
    I'm with you on that. I have heard of a few out of towners that come in and take a pelt while leaving the rest of the carcass to rot. Seems like a waste to drop an animal and just leave 90% of it there. Speaking of which, anyone in the Juneau area interested in hunting on Sun?

I give away alot of meat like venison and wild boar and stuff but all the bear meat stays in my freezer I like it better than alot of wild game!!

Aaron

Tustamena smoke house makes awsome summer sausage from bear. Even the women in the family love it, until they learn what it is. Fall bears that are up high eating berries, excellent meat. I have never tried the meat from a fishy fall bear, heard to many war stories about that. Coming up from Montana originally, there is alot of truth to the fact that animals taste different depending on what they have been eating. The whole wrotten salmon thing doesn't sound very apealing.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm a hard liner on this point, and I don't have much patience for folks that disagree. It's high on the list of hunters' sins to leave that carcass in the woods when it can be used by someone even if you don't want it.
    What a load! It's high on a hunter's list of requirements to FOLLOW THE LAW! That's it. Some units require meat salvage, some don't. Some hunters hunt for meat, some for hide, some for both. As long as a guy meets the legal requirements for the unit he's hunting in...........he ain't no sinner.
    When yopur the chair of the BoG, Brownie...............you can impose YOUR personal beliefs on the rest of us. Not before!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

To me bear tastes like beef with double the flavor (same texture also), leftover bear roast sandwiches with yellow mustard and a nice thick slice of sweet onion will have your mouth watering!!

I got my first bear this year. I have to say it's the best game meat I've eaten. My wife is inviting her friends over for bear meat. I'll have to go again next year.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Clearly in the minority...

I almost feel guilty reading all the posts about how much people enjoy bear meat...personally, its extremely low on my list, and yes I've had it prepared numerous ways- from a number of different spring blackies.

I have hunted and killed bears, black and brown for years. My purposes for doing so are...
    1. Predator management
    2. Predator management
    3. Enjoyment

I have only hunted in one unit that required retention of meat, I hauled out what was LEGALLY required and gave it to friends. All of the other bears I have killed have stayed in the field (minus hide and skull) and become meals to dozens of other animals. I don't feel guilty about this for a second- I have a freezer full of moose, deer and sheep- sorry, no room for bear.

Brownbear- I really disagree with your statement, but I have plenty of patience. The bottom line is to stay within the parameters of the law as it is written.

I don't hammer on hunters that don't bring out the heart and liver of every deer, moose, caribou and sheep they kill- even though I couldn't think of leaving these behind. The bottom line is that they obey the law, take what is required- and anything beyond that is up to personal opinion.

Mark

Bear meat is good, but it's best when it's a young, small bear, and it still can't hold a candle to moose/deer/caribou.

Default Good Eats

I have eaten both black and brownie from fall hunts shot around fish streams. For the most part they have all been pretty tasty. Even the dead fish eaters have been fairly decent, not great but no worse than a stinky rut buck.

I may not always salvage all my bear but I salvage more than the law dictates; it depends on circumstances.

Default great eats

sliced the backstrap into small steaks, seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic and fried hot in some olive oil last night.
    Wife, kids and I all really like it!

yes, springs are generally very tasty. Aside from what else has been noted -- bear makes for great sausage.

Default Bear Meat

Bear meat is absolutely the best . My family looks forward to dinner when there is bear meat served . We always cook it on a open grill . I add nothing to it . It is naturally sweet . Absolutely delicious . I think you should try some..............

Default Giving me more reason

I have yet to score on one, missed one last fridaywith a "bow" but buddy still got it. Want one even more so now after reading ya'lls posts. Heading out tomorrow night again.
    Hopefully I get one so I have an excuse to call in too work if I stroll in to the house agian at 3 in the morning, and have to be at work at 7.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast