Thread: GPS/Sonar Combo

Default GPS/Sonar Combo

If money is no issue, in your opinion, what is the best GPS/Sonar combo on the market? Looking at purchasing a gift for a friend, and have no clue which ones are good, and which ones suck.

here are my suggestions i prefer garmin but this is what you should look for:large screen,color, dual freequency transducer, remote antenna for gps not a built in. and expandability via map availability. jeff

Thumbs up Garmin

Would have to vote for Garmin too. Money is based mostly on screen size, so room to mount is important. GPS Store on Old Seward has a bunch set up and to compare go to www.garmin.com. I installed a GPSMAP 598, has way more features than I'll ever use.
    You can take the outside hull transducer and with there special glue mount to the inside bottom of the boat, the hull then becomes part of the receiving anntena.

Among the top brands are Garmin, Furuno, Raymarine and Simrad. They're all good, and choosing among them is largely a matter of personal preference. For example, some have more features, while others may be more user friendly. Also, different kinds of electronic charts are available with the different units.

I guess what I'd say is that, unless you have a very good idea what the recipient wants, I'm not sure this is a good choice for a gift. You could spend a lot of money on a Garmin only to find out that your friend really wanted a Furuno with the new 3D technology.

Thanks Fellas

I bought a Garmin a year ago with the 3D technology - amazing!!