Thread: Womens Expedition Pack

Default Womens Expedition Pack

Allright I will have my Barneys Kevlar Pinnacle Pack in a couple weeks and I can't see passing my ancient Eureka pack off to the wife since it has seen better days and is not especially comfortable. I will keep the old pack and the frame will work for her to pack a couple miles with a bou quarter. But I want to take her with me up on a couple scouting trips and she will need a great pack. I am not going to spend the big bucks for a custom pack but I will drop the coin to get a great fitting internal frame pack.
    I am taking her in to REI on monday and we are going to try out a couple different packs. I am most excited about the Arc'Teryx Briza 75 just looking at the reviews (it used to be called the womens bora). So what say you? My only fear is that she is going to like it so much that I end up going and buying myself the Bora 95.

My wife has a Gregory Shasta and she [b]loves it[/i]. She's sitting behind me saying that she thinks it may have a different model name, but the point remains that she is a complete believer in Gregory packs. It fits her frame perfectly. My mother and sister have Gregory packs as well, and they also have nothing but good things to say. Arcteryx makes fantastic gear, but make sure she tries on a Gregory pack as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Allright I will have my Barneys Kevlar Pinnacle Pack in a couple weeks and I can't see passing my ancient Eureka pack off to the wife since it has seen better days and is not especially comfortable. I will keep the old pack and the frame will work for her to pack a couple miles with a bou quarter. But I want to take her with me up on a couple scouting trips and she will need a great pack. I am not going to spend the big bucks for a custom pack but I will drop the coin to get a great fitting internal frame pack.
    I am taking her in to REI on monday and we are going to try out a couple different packs. I am most excited about the Arc'Teryx Briza 75 just looking at the reviews (it used to be called the womens bora). So what say you? My only fear is that she is going to like it so much that I end up going and buying myself the Bora 95.

HAHA LuJon,

What do you know? I bought my new wife the Bora 75 last year and I've owned the Bora 95 for myself for like 3 years now and have hauled out a few caribou and camp with it. If her and I are going together we take our Arcteryx, but I'm going by myself, its gonna be my Barney's pack. My wife loves hers and I have no complaints about my Bora 95. In fact its what we used on our 3 day hike last weekend. They just fit us well. That being said my bro really likes his Gregory packs. There are a ton of good packs out there, just have her try a bunch out and load them up and see which on works for her the best. Good luck man.

The Gregory petit dru pro 85 looks pretty nice.

For those of you that have the Arcteryx Bora/Briza, osprey womens xenon or Gregory Deva- are you able to pack a rifle on it and if so how? These packs seem to be pretty streamlined do you find it a challenge to access items like your spotter/tripod easily?

Default Maybe not perfect but it works

I would pack the Briza 75 the same way I do if I were strapping all to my Bora 95. Rifleon one side (the side with the quick clips on top two straps) with the butt of the rifle in the waterbottle pocket. Tripod and tent poles on the other side strapped in.

The Arcteryx packs come with a water bladder sleeve inside the pack, but I'm not a fan of having the bladder inside the pack with all my gear so I put it in the Kangaroo pouch along with my spotting scope. That way when I want to pull out my spotter I don't gotta open up my pack and hunt around for it. Its all easy to access from the outside.

I'm sure other people have better suggestions, but this is what worked for me.

I know this is a cheesy way to describe how I strap the gun and what not down, but I don't have any pics on hand right now (other than my avatar which is a little small) so these'll have to do

Lanche....cheesy would be an understatement, and you forgot to tell the nice folks that you wore a womens pack for a while yourself!! Seriously though, the Arc'Teryx packs are definitely nice!! Mens or womens!

More importantly, IMO, is pack fit. I, too, use a Gregory pack but when I bought it, I was more concerned with pack volume than frame fit and now I would definitely get a pack to fit your frame. I'm a shorter guy and wear a size Large Gregory frame. I can definitely pack with it and have for about 6 years now but the few times I've worn the Arc'Teryx that normaly lives on Alaska_Lanches back that has the smaller frame size, its considerably more comfortable.

The Gregory is a tough pack also and I agree with Brian that take a look at those as well. Like with most things these days, products are always getting better and better with major brands and most people are going to be happy with whatever you get so make sure the pack fits well and you may be able to get a less expensive one as well.

Last note, if you do buy a pack from a pro-shop, definitely have them remove they stay (or stays, depending on the pack) and bend it to fit your wifes figure. This will also make a pack more comfortable/efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Lanche....cheesy would be an understatement, and you forgot to tell the nice folks that you wore a womens pack for a while yourself!!
    HAHA but the deal i got on it was totally worth it. Plus, our sis loves that pack, even if the women's symbol was magic marked black so you can't see it.

My Bora 95 that you wore is on the medium frame, if you wanted a better fit I think you'd fit the bill for a small frame for sure. I'll PM you the new pack you need to buy.

First thanks for all the help! We spent a couple hours at REI today checking stuff out. We tried the top packs available and I went in with the mindset that whatever the cost didn't matter as long as it is absolutly comfortable for her to wear. We wanted the largest pack that fit comfortably for her and were shooting for 80 plus liters. We started with the Artyrex briza which is I think 80 liters. She put it on and the pack fitter helped get it set up with 25lbs in it. With in a couple minutes her deltoids were spasming and she had to take it off! We went to the Gregory Diva 85 next and did the same thing with the #25 sand bags. She wore it for 20 minutes while I fitted my 6yo son with one of the REI packs. He liked it and wore it for 20 minutes with 25# in it!. After 20 minutes the wife stilled loved the Gregory pack but the kiddo had had enough of the REI pack. I had them both take of the packs and the wife had no redness but the son had red lines on his neck. Well next I had the wife fitted for the Osprey Xenon 85. I also fitted the kid with a Kelty Lynx pack which had more bolstered padding in the harness. With 50 lbs split between them the kid was still going stron and jumping around after 20 minutes but the Osprey lasted only 5 for the wife. She didn't like the harness at all on that pack. So back to the Gregory which she was raving still raving about. An hour of looking at trekking poles while she wore it with the 25lbs still smiling. I looked over at my kids who were still playing quietly (for a change) and realized he was still wearing the Kelty pack and the 25 lbs!

The end result I picked up 2 sets of BD trekking poles one set of eliptical ones for me and a little bit cheaper set of trail poles for the wife. We ended up getting the Diva 85 pack by Gregory. It is just flat out the best of the packs from a design standpoint. The most improtant thing was the harness and comfort for her. The Diva was the clear winner in this. The adjustment system for the harnes was far and away the simplest to make minor adjustments while on the go and for you women the cross chest strap was the only one usable for my wife. It had a huge amount of adjustment which allowed it to slide up and down the shoulder straps. It would actually be moved from above to all the way below... well you get the point it is a great feature. It has a forward tilted water botle holder to make it easier to reach while under way and the other side has a mesh pocket that I am sure has a granola purpose but for us will hold her 308 stock perfectly. There are 2 compression straps on each side and the ones above the mesh pocket will work to fully restrain the rifle. Other than that water proof (resistant) zippers and a woter proof bottom I guess incase you fall on your but in a creek crossing. Seems like extra weight to me but it may prove to be a good feature... All in all a great pack and I can't wait to get a few mountain miles in to see what she has to say about it then!
    As for the Kelty Lynx pack I didn't pick it up today but I have a feeling that it will be here before too long. I guess $110 isn't too much when you have three boys to pass it down to...
    Last thing the Diva pack was $330 which was the cheapest of the packs we tried on!

I have the waterproof bottom in my pack as well. You'd be surprised how many times you sit down on wet tundra or a hillside. Being as this is where you carry your sleeping bag.....well worth the few extra ounces!

I thought about it a little more and aside from that I figure that if we put meat in it would be easier to clean up any blood from the water proof material than any other cloth. OK now I am even more convinced that we made the right decision!

Wow, you guys. I think that those packs look HUGE.
    I have a Marmot pack and it fits my body frame completely.
    Please, please do not give her your hand-me-down back pack. You absolutely want one that fits her body frame. I have noticed that if the shoulder straps don't fit me (and no men's style can fit me because I am too short) that my shoulders and back start to hurt after mile 4-5.
    If and when I find a picture, I'll post a picture of mine.

My suggestion is:
    1. Go shopping with her
    2. Tell her she can't buy anything when you go shopping. She HAS to go home to think about it and purchase within the next day or 2.
    3. Once she finds a pack, look online for the stats on it. Either convince her to get it or not to get it.
    4. Purchase or start over again. You have a little bit of time before you have to use it for the season.
    5. Be sure that SHE picks it for herself. She'll be far more happier if you present it that way.
    6. Check the straps to be sure that they don't come up more than 2 inches from her shoulders (pre-weight) and be sure that she snaps on all the hip and chest snaps to be sure that they fit right in those regions, too.

I can only tell you from my experience in getting a pack. (smiles) That was a great deal of fun.
    Lurker.