Thread: finding morels

Default finding morels

I just dicovered morels. I went looking for them on Thursday with no luck. Any tipps for this.

The best place to look is a place that burned last year, or within the past few years (the more recent the better). If no burns are nearby, look in birch forests - particularly on south facing slopes. I seem to find a few more near the trunks of trees, but that's only an informal observation. They are awfully tough to spot at first, but once your eyes figure out how to pick them out it can be fun.

If it rains and becomes sunny and warm it will be a good time to head out in the next couple of days.

For those in Skagway -- go across the street from from the RV park by the cruise ship dock -- look on the slope.

A good read is: http://www.uaf.edu/ces/publications/.../FNH-00021.pdf

Bluebells
    http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...elhunting.html

Picking on slopes and areas where the leaves have sluffed of are very helpful as if there are morels in your area the usually are hidden under leaves or debris the slopes and "cleared areas" help you see them. Edges of roads and open areas are also likely. Yes at the base of trees is a good spot to look also. Stay away from pines and mossy areas.

Default Ditto on the scuffed/sloughed areas

Clear patches among leaves are easier to scout. Try a game trail on a southern facing slope. The ones we pick near Anchorage are past their prime now (June 8). Lots of false morels (Verpa) this year by Anch. Edible with caution in most books.

Has the south Kenai Peninsula (Caribou Hills Burn) gotten any rain over the past two days?

We went morel picking yesterday and my mom was the one who found most of them. She watched one of those shows on cable that educated her on Alaska and here is what she learned:
    Look for pieces of wood... small logs, tree stumps or trunks, and look for something looking like a shadow of a leaf that is sticking out of the ground 1-3 inches.
    After picking yesterday on our air strip, we went fishing and my daughter started finding them with my mom. That area was moist and damp covered with birch trees.
    I am quite positive that there are other threads on how to find them and how to cook them on the outdoor boards as well.
    Lurker.

I saw them for sale at Freddy's yesterday 2-3 shrooms for like $15!

Someone has some under farm and garden on craigs list too......
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default All this talk about morels...

You guys motivated me to take a walk-about today and search for the elusive morel. I found a few underneath a canopy of cotton wood trees on the North side of the Eagle River Valley. A good rain might bring a few more out. I spent 3 hours of hard looking and these were all I found. I ran across many more false (versa) morels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I thought I would post this up from Wikipedia info on Morel Shrooms

Early Morels
    Verpa Bohemica are also called wrinkled thimble cap, or early morel, and Ptychoverpa Bohemica. Although the early false morels are eaten by many people without bad effects it can cause severe gastrointestinal upset, causing loss of muscular coordination (remember the heart is a muscle), to some people, if eaten in large quantities or over several days in a row. It should be parboiled and/or dried before use in cooking, because a gyromitrin-like toxin which is an organic carcinogenic poison is produced by this fungus.
    The early false morels can be told apart from the true morels by careful study of how the cap is attached to the stalk. The edge of true morels (morchella) caps are intergrown with the stalk but early morels (verpas) caps hang over like a thimble that is why it is also called thimble morel. Early false morels are the first morels to fruit in the spring, before the leaves are the size of squirrel’s ears, narrow-head morels (morchella angusticeps) fruit next around may. The last morels to fruit are the yellow or white morels Morchella esculenta then crassipes, about the time the tree leaves are the size of squirrel’s ears.
    Cap: the cap of false morels is wrinkled and irregular, bell shaped or cone shaped, attached only at apex (top) of cap not like true morels which have caps that are attached at the bottom, the color yellow brown to olive yellow or tan, darkens with age.
    Stalk: 6-16cm high, white to creamy or tan, hollow often stuffed with white cottony pith. Spores when seen under a microscope are elliptical and have large oil droplets true morels have no large oil droplets.

Default Few in the Caribou Hills

went out a few times, found a few morels, not many though, buts real slow to warm up out there, I guess because its higher. We found a few last night, but it doesn't seem that they have really come out yet. I know they have been getting them in the older burn across Skilak lake for a couple weeks now.

Seems real late this year--as with everything else.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.